BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDion80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post
Yesterday morning I went to Tim Horton's to grab coffee and came home. Went to leave to go to a friends house and the car would not go into reverse. There were no prior pop outs, grinds or any sign of it going bad. I've read countless threads on this situation and everyone comes to the conclusion that you need a new trans.. well fuck. I can currently shift smooth as butter through 1st-6th.

Apparently no one can find a resolution for this. Am I SOL and need a new trans? Or can I fix it with a little couple hundred dollar part? I don't mind buying a new trans but I prefer not to.

Also I know our trans the "GS6-45" is replaceable with the n54s "GS6-53" and apparently like a Supra trans and just about bullet proof. But they're also unicorns to find.

Any help of this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Same thing just happened to me today. I have warranty with VW but I assume i'm better off putting the car back to stock before I take it in. Dealer say anything about this being a common occurrence?
Lol I commented on your post on the Facebook page. I didn't have a warranty so you're lucky. They didn't even notice my car had modifications (or they just didn't care).

They didn't say it was common but they have seen it before and it's usually always on the n55 335/135i 6 speeds. For such a large issue involving a new trans you would think they'd extend the warranty.
Appreciate 1
NDion8013.50
      12-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #24
NDion80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2012 135i M sport

Quote:
Lol I commented on your post on the Facebook page. I didn't have a warranty so you're lucky. They didn't even notice my car had modifications (or they just didn't care).

They didn't say it was common but they have seen it before and it's usually always on the n55 335/135i 6 speeds. For such a large issue involving a new trans you would think they'd extend the warranty.
Thanks for the info. You would think they would extend the warranty but that would mean they'd be on the hook for each and everyone one of them. This way they only have to own up to the ones that complain I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #25
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. You would think they would extend the warranty but that would mean they'd be on the hook for each and everyone one of them. This way they only have to own up to the ones that complain I guess.
Complaining helps. Especially if you come off in a very professional manner. That's what I did, we were able to come to an agreement that the car worth 40k from factory with only 60k miles should not need a new trans. After a few short phone calls I was able to talk them into dropping the price from $6500 to $2983.

I can imagine if someone throws a fit like some kid who didn't get his way that they would tell you to kick rocks. Go to dealership and be as professional as you can, they will respect the hell out of that and work with you on a deal.
Appreciate 1
NDion8013.50
      12-14-2018, 03:37 AM   #26
smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
All good I'm surprised at the dealership was willing to go down so much on the price.

Unfortunately I never get around to ordering a clutch. I will probably end up regretting it but it's always a plus to be mechanically inclined. Can't hurt to also have friends who are full time mechanics and a step dad who's used to work on bmws for a living. If I need to replace the clutch in the future I think I'll be ok.
Well hey, if it goes out you can swap in an upgraded stage 2 or similar. One that can hold more power if need be. Heard you were able to talk down from $6.5 to $3k! Those are some negotiation skills for sure
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #27
NDion80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Complaining helps. Especially if you come off in a very professional manner. That's what I did, we were able to come to an agreement that the car worth 40k from factory with only 60k miles should not need a new trans. After a few short phone calls I was able to talk them into dropping the price from $6500 to $2983.

I can imagine if someone throws a fit like some kid who didn't get his way that they would tell you to kick rocks. Go to dealership and be as professional as you can, they will respect the hell out of that and work with you on a deal.
Hey do you happen to have the part# for the transmission? I just want to make sure that i'm looking at the right one.

Warranty declined my claim because of mods but refunded me what I paid for the warranty. BMW quoted me $8900 CAD after taxes for the whole job. Now I need to either shop around or get them to come down some bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #28
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey do you happen to have the part# for the transmission? I just want to make sure that i'm looking at the right one.

Warranty declined my claim because of mods but refunded me what I paid for the warranty. BMW quoted me $8900 CAD after taxes for the whole job. Now I need to either shop around or get them to come down some bit.
It's on my paper work at home, I can get it when I get home!

Yeah I would've gotten the car back to stock before, that's a bummer. If they refunded you why deny the claim? That makes no sense. $8900 sounds like they're milking you. Even my guy said $6500 originally was what it would cost. I don't see the need for the extra $2400. I'd definitely talk to them about that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #29
NDion80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I would've gotten the car back to stock before, that's a bummer. If they refunded you why deny the claim? That makes no sense. $8900 sounds like they're milking you. Even my guy said $6500 originally was what it would cost. I don't see the need for the extra $2400. I'd definitely talk to them about that.
You have to consider the difference between CAD and USD. It's still steep. They cheapest way out of this for the warranty company was to refund me the cost of the warranty which was $3800 CAD instead of the 8 or 9K. (also I bought the car with a quad exhaust installed on it and they said the warranty should of never been sold to me because the car didn't qualify for it.)

Price they were quoting for a used transmission (tansmission only) was 5k CAD vs 6.5K CAD for a new one. BMW of south Atlanta sells it for 3.7k USD with a generous exchange rate at 1.36 would equal 5k CAD.(why i want to double check part#) So i will try to get them to price match and also see if I can get some good will.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #30
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You have to consider the difference between CAD and USD. It's still steep. They cheapest way out of this for the warranty company was to refund me the cost of the warranty which was $3800 CAD instead of the 8 or 9K. (also I bought the car with a quad exhaust installed on it and they said the warranty should of never been sold to me because the car didn't qualify for it.)

Price they were quoting for a used transmission (tansmission only) was 5k CAD vs 6.5K CAD for a new one. BMW of south Atlanta sells it for 3.7k USD with a generous exchange rate at 1.36 would equal 5k CAD.(why i want to double check part#) So i will try to get them to price match and also see if I can get some good will.
Forgot about this but here it is! $2500 I'm still in shock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NDion8013.50
      12-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #31
NDion80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Forgot about this but here it is! $2500 I'm still in shock.
Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0