Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
So you read a bit of Japanese? Nice.

License plates in Tokyo are divided into somewhat arbitrary districts. While I don't live in Shinagawa I am in one of the wards (aka ku) lumped into the Shinagawa plate district. My friends and I do take pictures all over Tokyo and the Kanto region, but none of us are drone flyers.

Here's one Shutoko shot of my 1M by an excellent photographer friend of mine that personally drives a classic Honda S800 Coupe.
https://carsonfilm.tumblr.com/post/1...mw-1m-yokohama
Thanks for sharing! I've always had a fascination with dense metropolitan areas like New York City, Tokyo, and Hong Kong.
Funny you include Hong Kong in the list. I lived there 2008 - 20017. That is where I was traumatized by my E60 M5. Just started twitching while typing that...
      04-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #24
1Mness
Rep
Drives: 1M

Great shots in Aoyama. Always a great place for a sanpo.

At the risk of a stupid question, what it the 1M commonly called in Japan? I thought it would be 1シリーズMクーペ. But I can't find any on Car Sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 06:05 AM   #25
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mness View Post
Great shots in Aoyama. Always a great place for a sanpo.

At the risk of a stupid question, what it the 1M commonly called in Japan? I thought it would be 1シリーズMクーペ. But I can't find any on Car Sensor.
So sticking to your specific query: Your search should work in theory, but I've never found any one magic term. You get false positives and false negatives. With Carsensor the most reliable way I've found is to browse to the 1 series level, then select the MT (manual transmission) criteria and eyeball the limited number of returns. I've found 2 or 3 1M listings this way.

If you are ever seriously looking to buy a 1M in Japan let me know and I can send you some interesting discoveries I've made while doing Japanese language searches. You'll need to read, write, and speak 日本語 to explore this avenue, though.
      04-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #26
1Mness
Rep

Quote:
So sticking to your specific query: Your search should work in theory, but I've never found any one magic term. You get false positives and false negatives. With Carsensor the most reliable way I've found is to browse to the 1 series level, then select the MT (manual transmission) criteria and eyeball the limited number of returns. I've found 2 or 3 1M listings this way.

If you are ever seriously looking to buy a 1M in Japan let me know and I can send you some interesting discoveries I've made while doing Japanese language searches. You'll need to read, write, and speak 日本語 to explore this avenue, though.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I normally browse Carsensor by maker, model, etc. - the keyword search is a bit random. I started to wonder if Japan, as it does from time to time, had come up with some other name other than 1 Series M Coupe, since I was surprised to find none. Admittedly, they are pretty uncommon. Good idea to use MT to narrow the results.

Thanks very much for your offer to share your discoveries - always helps. I'll let you know if I'm every ready to commit.

However, one other question, do you know if the 1M's in Japan were all LHD... or mixed LHD and RHD, like you see with some other makes and models?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:06 AM   #27
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mness View Post
However, one other question, do you know if the 1M's in Japan were all LHD... or mixed LHD and RHD, like you see with some other makes and models?
The only other 1M have seen in Japan in person was also LHD like my car, but I do recall some of the cars I've seen for sale online over the last few years being RHD. Recall that BMW never officially imported the 1M, so it was at the whim of the independent import companies and possibly in some cases the request of a committed buyer.

European car collectors in Japan long preferred the LHD cars because in the old days RHD cars were imperfect conversions, rather than engineered from the start to be able to handle a steering wheel on either side. Even though no longer true, amongst enthusiasts there still seems to be a preference for LHD, so I would not be at all surprised if there were significantly more LHD here.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #28
1Mness
Rep

Quote:
The only other 1M have seen in Japan in person was also LHD like my car, but I do recall some of the cars I've seen for sale online over the last few years being RHD. Recall that BMW never officially imported the 1M, so it was at the whim of the independent import companies and possibly in some cases the request of a committed buyer.

European car collectors in Japan long preferred the LHD cars because in the old days RHD cars were imperfect conversions, rather than engineered from the start to be able to handle a steering wheel on either side. Even though no longer true, amongst enthusiasts there still seems to be a preference for LHD, so I would not be at all surprised if there were significantly more LHD here.
Aaah. I didn't know the 1M wasn't officially brought into Japan by BMW. That would help explain the scarcity a little too.

Yes, as far as I know, LHD on the Euros was always the preference. Along with the tan on the left arm
Thanks for the info. Will let you know if I manage to get serious about a 1M in JP.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00