BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Misfire Cyl 1

Day before yesterday I stomped the throttle in my 2010 N54 135i and immediately got a service engine warning on display, a misfire and limp home power mode. Next day the service engine soon was gone and full power restored.
I plugged my code reader in and did a full scan. What came up was, DME COMBUSTION CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE.

Seems #1 cyl mosfet in the DME went kaput. I really don’t want to fork over about 500 bucks or more for a new one but I seem to recall that one can remove the DME and ship it somewhere who replaces the dead mosfet for a reasonable price. Does anyone know the name of the name(s) of business who does this work on BMW ECU’s? Thanks
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 03-13-2020 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:17 AM   #2
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

How are you sure it's the MOSFET and not a flakey coil or plug?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
My vehicle specific code reader told me. Not that makes me sure and it would be wise to verify that. Thanks
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
My vehicle specific code reader told me. Not that makes me sure and it would be wise to verify that. Thanks
I want a scanner that can tell me if my mosfets are going bad. what do you have? lol

first step is to do basic diagnostics. then go from there. DME should be looked at last unless you have a bank misfire.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Foxwell NT510 Vin specific scanner.
It initially gave me the problem, DME: Combustion misfire cyl 1, it also gave me the part number of the offending part, hardware version, even the date of manufacture of the unit. It also gives the physical hardware number.
Doing a quick search I see it’s a frequent problem with BMW DME mosfet failures.
Appreciate 0