BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2019, 05:08 AM   #23
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
There is no reason to run the car near stock ride height to get a SLIGHTLY better camber curve. I would much rather have the lower CG, additional camber, and better aero from running the car lower.
This x10. The camber curve at 4x4 ride height is not even "okay", let alone good, it's just slightly less awful. I would take the lower center of gravity any day over the very marginal improvement in camber curve.

-Mark
      09-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #24
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
If you can look at that last picture he posted and still type this up, I guess I need to give up even discussing body roll with you.
I made a direct reference to the first picture he posted. Why deflect by talking about other pictures rather than just move on... Am I wrong about the first picture or not?

Quote:
If you aren't running as much camber as you can get up front (-3.5" or more) and you are actually racing the car, you are leaving time on the table, period.
I disagree with making a blanket statement like that but it's your opinion.

Quote:
I'd really like you to get technical. Please explain why they are limited in what they can do with those setups. Many, many guys have been very fast using products from those two companies on multiple platforms.
Tckline took his E46 suspension and spring rates and made it work on an E82 without any consideration to the revised HA-5 multi-link rear the E82 got. Success on other platforms does not equate to success on the E82.

Although the D?A are better dampers than the S/A koni yellow, they are still fixed length. Fixed length dampers = no ability to modify your ride height independent from your springs preload/sag. In the rear, strut length directly impacts bump/droop distribution without affecting ride height. Someone just posted about how their Tckline D/A cause their rear control arms to contact the chassis. That shouldn't happen and if you could just make the strut length longer it wouldn't.

Lowside acknowledged the Tcklines weren't that great on the E82. It's in his build thread. Ohlin's issues pretty much mirror the TcKline since they are also fixed length dampers. Felix also has a 10 page thread on the changes he had to make to his Ohlin's. Some good reading in there if you haven't already been through it. Neither setup allows for caster adjustment either which can play a big roll in how camber changes in roll. Ohlins come valved for 6k/7k spring rates which means putting 500/700 lb springs on them probably results in pretty poor damping. Further, Ohlins for the F22 chassis come with 6k/16k spring rates and that chassis uses the same HA-5 multi-link rear-end. Why the change?

It's my opinion that both these "coilovers" are a perfect example of paying a premium for a brand name that in reality offers very little. That might be just fine for you if you're willing to work around the limitations of them.

Quote:
There is no reason to run the car near stock ride height to get a SLIGHTLY better camber curve. I would much rather have the lower CG, additional camber, and better aero from running the car lower.
What does a lower cog do for you if you're also increasing the roll moment thus causing MORE roll torque? You would rather have .5* more camber loss in roll just to gain .2* more static camber? Better aero in stx autocross? You can't run aero and there is 0 ground affect from lowering the car an inch at <60mph. You asked why my car might have less camber loss than his and I answered. You disregard what I am saying though. You want to debate this then present a counter-point instead of getting so defensive. I'm not typing angrily fighting with you lol... just debating a highly debatable topic.

Quote:
Pretty easy to google names. What do you claim to be?
Just someone posting an opinion on the internet. Disregard everything I am saying if you like.

Last edited by bbnks2; 09-09-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #25
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I run 70N/mm front and 160N/mm rear on my Öhlins (with 1M valving) with no front sway bar and a 12mm rear sway bar. The car feels absolutely fantastic.

It’s super stable at high speeds and is highly entertaining and eager in slow technical sections (did I mention it’s entertaining?).
      06-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #26
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I ended up with meister zetacrd coilovers, 12k/mm springs and I'm very happy with them.

First track event was delayed due to covid. I had the rear too stiff at first and struggled with oversteer using square 245 hankook rs4. Switched to 5 clicks away from full soft and that helped a ton, I will probably go full soft in rear, possibly lighter rear swaybar it is hard to put the power down! any power oversteer really scrubbed speed

I have a larger oil cooler but not large enough it'll be getting a second soon, hit oil temp reduced power in the last two sessions yesterday.

might have too much rear swaybar, the steering has to be unwound quite a bit or I get wheelspin in 3rd and lots of power oversteer

tire wear looked great, much better than my r53 mini, running -2.8 front and -1.5 rear with slight toe out front and slight toe in rear. I did not bring pyrometer but wear looked pretty even

not sure I should add any more rear camber it's trying to put the power down on a small contact page on the inside of inside rear tire. I would like to get a LSD but I think i need more aero/cooling first.

Not as much lateral grip as my mini, no mistaking the weight difference, probably could use bigger tires on both ends, I may buy some used front fenders for hpde use and let the fronts hang out a bit, nothing a saw cant fix lol FSP cars.... another option is shorter front swift springs and moving the perch up above the tire, I believe I have enough room.
Appreciate 0