BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Exclamation ENGINE FAILURE - Less than 100 miles - VIDEO

ITS OVER!! BMWNA REPLACED THE VEHICLE.

Well guys, my experience thus far has been one of shock. Complete, utter and total bewilderment putting it mildly.

**updates. BMW is wanting to replace the entire engine now. It appears it was a spun bearing.

7 / 5 / 11

7:00 AM - Car goes in for service.

5:36 PM - Metal found in oil pan.

7 / 6 / 11

2:36 - Car diagnosed with a rod bearing that spun on crank shaft. service mechanic called and informed.

3:15pm - Spoke with a (AXXXX) from BMW. Conference call with the BMW supervision and service mechanic (TXXXXXX). Service manager was placed on the phone with (AXXXX) informing of the diagnosis of the car. BMW initially said it would take 3 days to make the call, so I just put them all together. This seemed like the most efficient way of helping the situation and saving BMW time digging up the phone number. Information was discussed concerning the car. No additional information was needed by BMW superviser. The car's diagnosis was given by the service adviser to BMW supervisor (AXXXXXX).

3:33pm - Follow up call to BMW customer relations. Superviser was unavailable. Spoke with (PXXXXX) Left message for superviser (AXXXXX) making sure they had the required information.

4:11pm - Additional follow up. Superviser (AXXXXXXX) was again unavailable. Spoke with (SXXXX). Left message for superviser (AXXXX) again.

7 / 7 / 11

12:42pm - Spoke with (KXXXX) from BMW corporate NA. Waiting to hear from marketing team and engineer to determine how they will fix the situation. Was informed to have a call within 3 days after conversation with the marketing and engineer involved. The part is additionally on back order.

12:52pm - Spoke to (TXXXX) from service, informing him of what BMW corporate NA (KXXXXX) said concerning the vehicle.

7 / 11 / 11

12:29pm - Spoke with (KXXXX) from bmw corporate NA. I was informed that it will be handled at the dealership level, and a new vehicle will be exchanged for this one.

12:41pm - Spoke with (PXXX) salesman with BMW. He is locating a new vehicle with similar options and combinations.

7 / 13 / 11

12:19pm - Spoke with (KXXXXX) with bmw corporate NA. They called to follow up if the dealership had reached out to locate vehicle. They informed me that they would be giving the dealership a call directly to follow up.

7 / 18 / 11

12:39pm - Spoke with (KXXXX) with bmw corporate NA. She was unable to clarify any specifics on the vehicle or if it was located. She said the manager involved at BMW was in the handling the case. I asked to spoke to the manager and BMW refused to transfer me. Requested all correspondence sent through email at this point.

7 / 20 / 11

4:41pm - Spoke with dealership and spoke with the general manager (GXXXX). I informed him of 2 vehicles that would be acceptable for exchange. He was already aware of the vehicle currently in Northern California, but suggested to not ship the car and wait for a new one. I also inquired on where the holdup was and what needed to be done on my end. He said BMW agreed on shipping, but said they did not agree on a car at this stage. He said he would be looking into it tomorrow.

5:32pm - Spoke with BMW NA and left message for (KXXXX) requesting an email with where things are currently at.

Email typed, recorded, and sent to both parties, by the addresses provided by their companies.

7 / 21 / 11

Email correspondence with BMW NA and dealership. BMW NA requested a delivery date for the car by the dealership directly. BMW again reconfirmed approval for the new vehicle.

5:49pm - Spoke with (PXXXX) salesman who originally located the car. Wanted to confirm again on the options for the vehicle to be shipped.

7 / 22 / 11

4:51pm - Called (GXXXX) the general manager at the dealership. Left message asking for a response to the email, as well as where things stand currently.

7 / 23 / 11

Sent a followup email to (GXXX) general manager asking for a response to the previous email sent on 7 / 20 / 11.

7 / 25 / 11

Received email from (GXXX) general manager at the dealership. Was informed that BMW NA had not secured a vehicle as of 2:20pm, according to the dealership.

Received email from (GXXX) general manager at the dealership. Was informed that the car that will be acquired will be the one arriving to port on 8 / 12 / 11. I was previously informed that the car would be arriving to port on 8 / 4 / 11.

7 / 26 / 11

Received email from (JXXXX) general sales manager at the dealership. Confirmed vehicle will be arriving to port on Aug, 4th and should be at the dealership roughly 5 - 10 days after inspection.

8 / 12 / 11

Spoke to (JXXXX) the general manager. He was aware of the situation and the vehicle, and informed me that it was at the port for inspection.

Received an email from (GXXX) sales manager, informing me that the car was sent to up North and that BMW would be trucking it down. He was unaware of why the vehicle went to another dealership.

8 / 13 / 11

Email sent to all parties involved, asking for explanation as why this has yet to be resolved. Requested a resolution by 8 / 19 / 11.

*Video below**

BACKGROUND:

I was deciding if I should post anything up, at this early stage, however I figured it would be best to post something up, let you guys follow along, and listen to a wicked little video in the process. I will try to keep the updates play by play to see how the dealership and bmw handle the entire situation. I truly hope that in this horrible situation, bmw and those involved demonstrate why they are the best automobile company on the planet. Also, if you guys have any advice, insight or what not, feel free to PM or just post it here.

As you guys know, I recently purchased a 135i just last week. My introduction is still floating around on the front page here. It was a beautiful jet black with the m sport package and dct transmission. My pride and joy for at least a few nights.

ENGINE NOISE:

While driving, I began to notice a noise coming from the engine bay. It didn't sound like much, may very well have been their when I purchased the car, but never noticed it to the extent it is now, until the noise became more and more horrific. I went ahead and recorded a short video of the noise to try to get some additional insight on what exactly it was. I spoke to a few of the local car enthusiasts on the phone to get their input on the matter and if they had any idea of what the sound could be. We were are all literally stumped. Utterly confused.

SERVICE:

I immediately took it into the dealership bright in early. The car was the first one into service and I was given the standard loaner. Shortly after lunch I received a phone informing me know that the sound was indeed coming from the engine. The engine noises were recorded and sent for further diagnostic to bmw before they began work on the vehicle. Once they got the ok they began work I was informed.

As of now, I was informed that their is metal in the oil pan. When I heard this I cringed. My poor little new 1. Metal chunks in the oil pan, I'm thinking... Well, that is where the situation is at currently, more updates as soon as I hear.

My few short miles with the 135i were pure bliss, minus the extra soft suspension and keeping it under the rpm's for breakin, it was still a fun car to drive around in. I hope things get taken care of professionally.

Again, if you guys have any advice or input, chime in.

HERE IS A SHORT VIDEO OF THE CAR: TAKE A LISTEN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTegnxU_xo

**I was going to put this in the warranty / service section, but thought because of the freak nature of this, it would be better here.
-Matt

Last edited by MD Designs; 08-25-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

wow strange noise for sure...no ideas here...
      07-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

That's the first time I see something like that happen to a new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
That's the first time I see something like that happen to a new car.
Like I said, I am completely and utterly in shock. I mean, one its a BMW, and two its brand spanking new.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
wow strange noise for sure...no ideas here...
Yep, we were all confused by it as well as the bmw techs apparently.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Should have bought it from me!

LOL sorry I had to.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Should have bought it from me!

LOL sorry I had to.
you owe me a beer for that comment, haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

It's obvious. You should never drive your car upside down. It starves the engine for oil. Didn't you read your manual?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
It's obvious. You should never drive your car upside down. It starves the engine for oil. Didn't you read your manual?
I kept thinking I was in Australia. Idiot I am.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Designs View Post
My few short miles with the 135i were pure bliss, minus the extra soft suspension and keeping it under the rpm's for breakin, it was still a fun car to drive around in.
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, because I always do, but when you get your new engine you should think about breaking it in properly (hard).
      07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Never break an engine in hard unless you want to break the engine. Talk about a myth that is just that, a myth.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I am utterly shocked. Shocked that the noise you recorded is coming from a brand new 135i, but also shocked that you drove the car while it was making such sickening sounds.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
Never break an engine in hard unless you want to break the engine. Talk about a myth that is just that, a myth.
I need to send this one to Mythbusters! That is unless you have busted this myth yourself already...
      07-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I am utterly shocked. Shocked that the noise you recorded is coming from a brand new 135i, but also shocked that you drove the car while it was making such sickening sounds.
You live in Canton, I lived in Toledo, as you know in Ohio, we drive it if it runs... and of course with less then 100 miles on the OD... and the little part of driving it back to the service dept, haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, because I always do, but when you get your new engine you should think about breaking it in properly (hard).
Sure. What could those German (and Japanese, and American) drivetrain engineers know about breaking in engines? Go ahead and zing it up to redline. Then, snick it into first and dump the clutch. That'll show em. You know better than they do.

Maybe its an accident, but my last two cars went over 200,000 miles before I traded them. They are still running strong out there somewhere. Maybe its because I followed the break-in instructions and maintenance schedule religiously. Or maybe I was just lucky.

So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You live in Canton, I lived in Toledo, as you know in Ohio, we drive it if it runs... and of course with less then 100 miles on the OD... and the little part of driving it back to the service dept, haha.
Ohio brotherhood aside, I got literally nauseous when I listened to your engine. How could you?!! You beast!!

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Ohio brotherhood aside, I got literally nauseous when I listened to your engine. How could you?!! You beast!!

HAHA! Select the "HD" option in youtube if you really want to hear the beast.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Well guys, my experience thus far has been one of shock. Complete, utter and total bewilderment putting it mildly.

*Video below**

BACKGROUND:

I was deciding if I should post anything up, at this early stage, however I figured it would be best to post something up, let you guys follow along, and listen to a wicked little video in the process. I will try to keep the updates play by play to see how the dealership and bmw handle the entire situation. I truly hope that in this horrible situation, bmw and those involved with demonstrate why they are the best automobile company on the planet. Also, if you guys have any advice, insight or what not, feel free to PM or just post it here.

As you guys know, I recently purchased a 135i just last week. My introduction is still floating around on the front page here. It was a beautiful jet black with the m sport package and dct transmission. My pride and joy for at least a few nights.

ENGINE NOISE:

While driving, I began to notice a noise coming from the engine bay. It didn't sound like much, may very well have been their when I purchased the car, but never noticed it to the extent it is now, until the noise became more and more horrific. I went ahead and recorded a short video of the noise to try to get some additional insight on what exactly it was. I spoke to a few of the local car enthusiasts on the phone to get their input on the matter and if they had any idea of what the sound could be. We were are all literally stumped. Utterly confused.

SERVICE:

I immediately took it into the dealership bright in early. The car was the first one into service and I was given the standard loaner. Shortly after lunch I received a phone informing me know that the sound was indeed coming from the engine. The engine noises were recorded and sent for further diagnostic to bmw before they began work on the vehicle. Once they got the ok they began work I was informed.

As of now, I was informed that their is metal in the oil pan. When I heard this I cringed. My poor little new 1. Metal chunks in the oil pan, I'm thinking... Well, that is where the situation is at currently, more updates as soon as I hear.

My few short miles with the 135i were pure bliss, minus the extra soft suspension and keeping it under the rpm's for breakin, it was still a fun car to drive around in. I hope things get taken care of professionally.

Again, if you guys have any advice or input, chime in.

HERE IS A SHORT VIDEO OF THE CAR: TAKE A LISTEN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTegnxU_xo

**updates tomorrow.

**I was going to put this in the warranty / service section, but thought because of the freak nature of this, it would be better here.
-Matt
That sucks for sure.

Being that new, if it needs a new engine maybe BMW will just offer you a new car. Hopefully, maybe not likely.

Obviously this is one of those very rare occasions when a major defect just happens. I know that's no consolation as you're the one it's happened to.
But, it truly is a very rare thing to happen.

Example:
My niece has a blue 2009 Mazda 3, and at around 15-16k miles her engine went too. Something happened and the timing chain and a sprocket shot out through the cover and the engine dumped oil from underneath.
Mazda took care of it and installed an actual new engine.
The only problem is that Mazda doesn't do the work, a dealer tech did it, and he didn't do a great job, which led to a failed AC compressor.
Once the car was here, back home, I took it to a different Mazda dealer and all was corrected and the car is doing fine.

To offer another rarity, the same Mazda 3 now at 17K miles has broken/failed rear dampers. I discovered it a couple of days ago when I went to get new tires installed. Yes, the Goodyear RSA's are THAT crappy.
As I'm driving to the tire dealer, I notice that the rear of the car hops and wiggles oddly going over even modest sized bumps in the road. On a slight turn on the road, I hit a small bump and the rear hopped, wiggled, and moved a bit. Once parked, I pressed down on the rear bumper and it just bounces with near 0 damping. The right rear is a bit worse than the left rear.
I verified this by doing the same bounce test on her sisters identical, but red, 2009 Mazda 3, which was bought at the same time.
The red one is nice and firm as I pushed on the bumper and holds it's damping as I tried several bounces on the rear end.
Doing the same on the blue one results in the rear end bouncing like a pogo stick very easily, no damping. I couldn't see if one or both dampers were leaking fluid.

Don't buy the blue Mazda 3's.
Now I have to deal with yet another issue on that car.
All in all, it happens, and it sucks.
Statistics don't mean much when it's "you" the problem happens to.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That sucks for sure.

Being that new, if it needs a new engine maybe BMW will just offer you a new car.
Thanks for your input. If it does need a new engine after 100 miles I am going to demand a new vehicle, as what was sold was not a working item, nor what the vehicle description consisted of when I purchased it. The issue was obviously their before I even purchased the car, it was broken, faulty. Like I said originally, time will tell how this plays out, and if it does need a working engine installed I surely hope BMW will do their part to make me whole. Heh, I even went out of my way to visit Welt last year.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
ouch goodluck brotha!

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure. What could those German (and Japanese, and American) drivetrain engineers know about breaking in engines? Go ahead and zing it up to redline. Then, snick it into first and dump the clutch. That'll show em. You know better than they do.

Maybe its an accident, but my last two cars went over 200,000 miles before I traded them. They are still running strong out there somewhere. Maybe its because I followed the break-in instructions and maintenance schedule religiously. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Do you really think engineers write the break-in instructions? BMW, or any vehicle manufacturer is not in the business of making cars stay on the road longer, they are in the business of selling new cars. That is a fact you cannon refute. Did you, or do you plan on doing your first oil change at 15,000 miles? Never plan on replacing your transmission or differential fluid? Yep, car makers are really looking out for the well-being of the car after they've sold it.
      07-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #22
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
ouch goodluck brotha!
thanks, keep posted.
Appreciate 0