BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M Sport

Question SOS Malfunction

Just had my intake valves cleaned and after I got a SOS call malfunction light every time I turn on the car. Probably not related at all but I think it's ironic when I fix something in my car something else happens. So I have no Bluetooth functionality, SAT CD and AUX are all grayed out. I only have AM/FM radio right now. Am I going to have to replace the TCU? I tried resetting idrive but that didn't do anything. I need my music and charging capabilities (USB port doesn't charge, haven't tried cig lighter) back STAT!!! Any advice would be awesome and if I get a new TCU does it have to be coded?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
SLOWWW1
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragonz View Post
Just had my intake valves cleaned and after I got a SOS call malfunction light every time I turn on the car. Probably not related at all but I think it's ironic when I fix something in my car something else happens. So I have no Bluetooth functionality, SAT CD and AUX are all grayed out. I only have AM/FM radio right now. Am I going to have to replace the TCU? I tried resetting idrive but that didn't do anything. I need my music and charging capabilities (USB port doesn't charge, haven't tried cig lighter) back STAT!!! Any advice would be awesome and if I get a new TCU does it have to be coded?
I'm having the exact same problem !
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update Sos Call Malfunction Still

No one has any fix for this? Still without my bluetooth, SAT radio, usb/aux and have to charge my iPhone through the car charger underneath the armrest. If anyone has any update on this please advise.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

My car throws the SOS when the radio overheats. It says it's overheating briefly but doesn't throw a readable code. Once it's cooled down it's just fine. My common cause is having the heat in highest setting for too long. If I turn a few degrees cooler I don't have issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and then reconnecting it. One of your ECU's might have gotten "scrambled" or "fried" when/who ever did your carbon cleaning. Don't disconnect the battery terminals until the car goes to sleep(wait 30 minutes before).

Be sure NOT to close the trunk after you disconnect the battery ground cable.

It wouldn't hurt to check for thrown codes and even then(no codes) try clearing the codes and see how every thing works(or not).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
bryosb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Have you noticed any issues with your BMW ConnectedDrive Services - read the following -

At the end of this year BMW are apparently terminating support for the 2G & 3G networks used by BMW Assist systems in BMWs sold prior to 2014.

BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan Discontinuing
BMW will be discontinuing renewals for the BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan (i.e., customer pay). This impacts all vehicles that are based on CDMA, TCU 1.5, and COMBOX technologies.

As a summary:
Renewals of the BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan (applicable to 2013 and earlier vehicles and 2014 X6) are being discontinued as of January 1, 2016
For vehicles with subscriber agreements still within the BMW-paid period (i.e., 4 or 10 years after in-service date), please do not create a subscriber agreement beyond the BMW-paid period (e.g., extensions or renewals)
As of early January 2016, the My BMW ConnectedDrive portal (www.bmwusa.com/MyBMWConnectedDrive) will no longer allow renewals for these affected vehicles

FAQs: Discontinuation of Renewals for BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan

1. Why was this change made?
a. At the end of 2016, the underlying communication technology will no longer be supported. At that time, BMW Assist Safety and Convenience Services will no longer function in the vehicle. We are discontinuing renewals so that service durations are not included beyond this date.

2. What services are affected?
a. All services under the BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan are affected and will no longer work following the end of 2016. This includes the Emergency Calling (SOS) feature as well as MyInfo (Send to Car), Remote Services such as Remote Door Unlock and the My BMW Remote app, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, TeleService, Concierge and all other services which are available under the BMW Assist Safety and Convenience Plans.

3. My original contract for BMW Assist services goes beyond 2016. How will this affect me?
a. If your original contract (i.e., BMW-paid) ends later than Dec. 31, 2016, you will receive additional information from BMW.

4. Can a customer upgrade their vehicle to newer technology that would support BMW Assist?
a. Currently, we do not have a retrofit option in order to upgrade earlier hardware to newer hardware so that BMW Assist can still be supported. However, we are working on a technical upgrade. For further details, please contact your dealer in the second half of 2016.

5. Why is this discontinuation in BMW Assist renewals only occurring now?
a. Because the BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan are available as a one-year renewal, this change is being made to ensure that Safety and Convenience Plan renewals are only sold within the timeframe that they can be supported.

6. When will the services stop working?
a. By January 1, 2017, the services of the BMW Assist Safety Plan and Convenience Plan will no longer be available."

There is mention of a technical upgrade but no retrofit for affected vehicles. Not sure how they're going to accomplish this.

See here - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ilability.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
My car throws the SOS when the radio overheats. It says it's overheating briefly but doesn't throw a readable code. Once it's cooled down it's just fine. My common cause is having the heat in highest setting for too long. If I turn a few degrees cooler I don't have issues.
No radio overheating here. Constant malfunction still. Thinking about disconnecting the Bluetooth module in the trunk of the car then disconnecting the battery. It's been months and still no solution and I'm not taking it to the dealer to pay some ridiculous fee to have this fixed. God forbid my TCU is failing. So still not SAT or AUX. Going to check the fuse later that maybe I missed, but considering I get the SOS Call System Malfunction I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

Hi,

I'm new here, but I hope I can help you.
I think you have a TCU and a MULF in your trunk. Am I right?

I guess your problem is directly related to these ECUs. The TCU is responsible for the SOS system and the MULF takes care of Aux-IN, voice control, bluetooth and USB.

The fault could be:
  • The MOST Bus could have a ring rupture
  • TCU and MULF failed (e.g. due to water in the trunk)
  • fuses are blown
  • short or open circuit

The only strange thing is, that CD is also grayed out. The CD drive is operated by the navigation system, so it should work.

Simply disconnecting the TCU will not fix your SOS problem. The instrument cluster permanently checks the TCU for timeouts. If the TCU is missing or has timeouts, the SOS warning is shown in the cluster.

Can you read out the fault memory? It would make the troubleshooting much easier.
If not, let me know it, then I can give you further instructions to find the fault.

Greetings from Germany!

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #9
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesentrieb View Post
Hi,

I guess your problem is directly related to these ECUs. The TCU is responsible for the SOS system and the MULF takes care of Aux-IN, voice control, bluetooth and USB.

The fault could be:
  • fuses are blown
  • short or open circuit

The only strange thing is, that CD is also grayed out. The CD drive is operated by the navigation system, so it should work.

Simply disconnecting the TCU will not fix your SOS problem. The instrument cluster permanently checks the TCU for timeouts. If the TCU is missing or has timeouts, the SOS warning is shown in the cluster.

Can you read out the fault memory? It would make the troubleshooting much easier.
If not, let me know it, then I can give you further instructions to find the fault.

Greetings from Germany!

Daniel
Hey I keep having this issue do you think you could give me more instructions on how to find the fault? Much thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

Hi,

I can try it.
But first: do you have readout the fault memory?

Greetings Daniel
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
MarcooKray
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesentrieb View Post
Hi,

The fault could be:
  • fuses are blown
  • short or open circuit

Greetings from Germany!

Daniel
Hi, I have the same problem, SOS, NO BT, NO RADIO, NO AUX, NO USB, CD is working, have Audio, I tried so many ways to troubleshoot the problem but still not working, I had the Fiber Optic Loop, and I bypassed the TCU module, and still nothing. I check the MULF 2, it seems good cuz i can see the red signal lights coming from the cable, but I didn't see any red signal lights from the TCU module, I put an another used TCU part from Ebay, and it is not communicating with my car, so I have no clue where is the problem. any thoughts? thank you so much!!!!
Appreciate 0