BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
packlueder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i A/T, Cobb V3

Zero Boost

I recently did some maintenance on my car and got a 30FF code. Using my Cobb AccessPort I can see that I am making ZERO boost. I have replaced:
  • Charge Pipe
  • All Vacuum Lines
  • Both Boost Solenoids
  • Intake Gaskets, Throttle Body Gasket, and Lower Charge Pipe to Intercooler O-ring

I have verified that both wastegates close when vacuum is applied. I can visually see that the rear turbo wastegate moves when the car is turned on but I cannot visually see the front turbo so I have applied vacuum with a mighty Vac and physically felt that the wastegate moves when vacuum is applied. I have not been able to route a boost gauge into the cabin to watch the vacuum pressure while I am driving since I do not currently have the parts to do so but I would think that since the rear turbo actuator moves at idle and I verified that the front turbo actuator moves when vacuum is applied, that they should be actuated while I am driving. At the same time, the only way I can think that I would be getting absolutely zero boost is if the wastegates were open. Everything was working up until I replaced my water pump , oil filter housing gasket and accessory drive belt and pulleys about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone have any ideas? Attached are two logs from the Cobb AccessPort. One from when everything was working and another from a couple of days ago showing zero boost. Sorry for the large boost file, I am in the boost around row 35,073 ~14 psi. The only way I could attached was to change the extension to pdf, so to view it just delete the .pdf at the end of the file name.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NO BOOST.csv.pdf (261.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf BOOST.xlsx.pdf (4.24 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by packlueder; 12-29-2018 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
packlueder
Private
United_States
Rep

Update for anyone that may also be experiencing this issue. I ended up throwing in the towel and took it into a shop and they did a smoke test. Ended up being that the valve cover was cracked. Once they replace it the will rerun the smoke test and test drive etc. Hopefully that was the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
packlueder
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay, just got my car back from the shop and it was indeed the valve cover. More specifically it was the PCV diaphragm integrated into the valve cover.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
thibb001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Monaco Blue 6MT

That makes sense my car felt much better after changing the valve cover as well. Sorry no one on the forum was of any help lol.
Appreciate 1