BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #45
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I use RockAuto a lot. I don't know what parts you priced at $500 at fcp but RockAuto has both filters for well under $100. They charge extra for shipping but it is normal rates.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ic,filter,8600
I did see those parts but I'm weary of them causing an issue as they are not OEM... is it possible for the internal filter to collapse compared to the oem? I know that's an issue on the old ZF5HP transmissions..

I looked up the pan bolts which 14 are needed as it's "recommended" but I don't see why reusing them would cause any issue to be honest.

Next was the suction side filter ( all the shops I called didn't think there was such a thing and that the only filter is internal but that's clearly incorrect. )

The rest in that list of 500 is the transmission pan that comes with the gasket, the internal filter, and new drain and fill plug.

I hate it when you call to ask a question and they can't even give you an honest accurate answer. One guy thought the filter was part of the transmission pan, like no dude it's not a ZF8 it's a DCT. They should know this!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #46
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Cool FCP Euro a good source for BMW parts!

You should take a look at this:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-dctservicekit

Pentosin is the original fill for this transmission simply because the company developed the transmission fluid for the Getrag DCT. Yes I ran a scan on it to determine the manufacturer.

It only takes 5 qts, so it isn't that expensive to service. Also it appears any shop can do it. It might require some further investigation though.

BTW, BMW says the original fill is good for a lifetime, but if you read my Pentosin post above, even Pentosin recommends changing the fluid. This is a service I'll be considering around 50K miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #47
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with Rock Auto parts. They just buy parts from companies that supply car manufacturers and/or other parts stores and sell them online. I just put "Brembo" ceramic pads on my 128 along with new brake sensors sourced from Rock Auto and they work fine. I ordered some high beam headlight bulbs (for less than $3 each) last night. They have a range of manufacturers for many parts. I would be interested in who they source the filter from but as long as they are reputable, where you buy it is not significant.
      02-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #48
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
You should take a look at this:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-dctservicekit

Pentosin is the original fill for this transmission simply because the company developed the transmission fluid for the Getrag DCT. Yes I ran a scan on it to determine the manufacturer.

It only takes 5 qts, so it isn't that expensive to service. Also it appears any shop can do it. It might require some further investigation though.

BTW, BMW says the original fill is good for a lifetime, but if you read my Pentosin post above, even Pentosin recommends changing the fluid. This is a service I'll be considering around 50K miles.
I saw that but it's missing the internal transmission filter and transmission pan gasket. Thats sold separate and is another 200 some dollars.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #49
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with Rock Auto parts. They just buy parts from companies that supply car manufacturers and/or other parts stores and sell them online. I just put "Brembo" ceramic pads on my 128 along with new brake sensors sourced from Rock Auto and they work fine. I ordered some high beam headlight bulbs (for less than $3 each) last night. They have a range of manufacturers for many parts. I would be interested in who they source the filter from but as long as they are reputable, where you buy it is not significant.
I hear what you're saying. I'm gonna actually call and talk with them about it. Really don't want to spend 500 on parts that's just nuts
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #50
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveitsmikey View Post
I saw that but it's missing the internal transmission filter and transmission pan gasket. Thats sold separate and is another 200 some dollars.
Look at the parts list. It includes the filter. Also the filter is external to the transmission. You just drain it at the drain plug and fill it at the fill plug.

Now I haven't investigated this in detail, and the list is for my '12. Also FCP has a tech department which is quite knowledgeable I'd check with before ordering any parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #51
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Calling first make sense to me when you either can't tell their parts source or you are unfamilar with that brand. I like saving money but I hate buying junk. I haven't yet from Rock Auto but whenever the price is a lot lower it pays to check it out.
      02-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #52
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Look at the parts list. It includes the filter. Also the filter is external to the transmission. You just drain it at the drain plug and fill it at the fill plug.

Now I haven't investigated this in detail, and the list is for my '12. Also FCP has a tech department which is quite knowledgeable I'd check with before ordering any parts.
It's been covered in this thread there is a internal filiter.

#6 here. Suction filter is #8 also you see the transmission pan. Comes with gasket.

The filter in that kit is just a suction filter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #53
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Calling first make sense to me when you either can't tell their parts source or you are unfamilar with that brand. I like saving money but I hate buying junk. I haven't yet from Rock Auto but whenever the price is a lot lower it pays to check it out.
I agree. I have the software to do the work too. I'm gonna do this without going to a shop. They want too much
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #54
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:

#6 here. Suction filter is #8 also you see the transmission pan. Comes with gasket.

Good information. I'm thinking this kit is designed to do just a drain & fill without taking off the pan for the internal filter. Anyway, perhaps some more detail will appear about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #55
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good information. I'm thinking this kit is designed to do just a drain & fill without taking off the pan for the internal filter. Anyway, perhaps some more detail will appear about it.
That's correct. Which means you'll need extra 2L when dropping the pan
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #56
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

A drain & fill might be satisfactory in most cases.

I just did my Mercedes. There isn't a drain on the TC, so all that's done is drain the pan & replace the filter. This is some what similar to the D&F on the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #57
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

What oil are people using? Is there something better than the OEM fluid?

I think there are Redline and Motul options.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #58
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
A drain & fill might be satisfactory in most cases.

I just did my Mercedes. There isn't a drain on the TC, so all that's done is drain the pan & replace the filter. This is some what similar to the D&F on the DCT.
I do know my previous W204 has a drain plug for the TC which always you to drain all the fluid from the unit when dropping the pan
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #59
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I do know my previous W204 has a drain plug for the TC which always you to drain all the fluid from the unit when dropping the pan

Mercedes did away with the drain on the TQ on my model. The only service is a drain & pan filter done at 40K miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #60
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Pentosin mentions something about the service of the transmission done with GT1, not quite sure if that is correct, which I believe is software.

When I did my Mercedes transmission, I used a scanner to measure the transmission temperature while checking the fluid level. Also there was a specific procedure for tightening the pan bolts.

How long the transmission fluid is good for depends upon how you treat it. If you do a lot of "pulls" and as a consequence, overheat it, you'll likely need to disregard BMW's lifetime fill and service it.

Generally, there are specific procedures for servicing auto transmissions requiring software or diagnostic equipment. I don't believe this would be a good DIY?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #61
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Whenever I do anything, I'm very analytical about it. I measure the risks against the rewards of undertaking any task. So how does that apply to servicing the DCT? Well the reward of doing it yourself, you'll save a couple of dollars. The risk? If you make a mistake servicing it, you'll have an expensive lump of iron to replace. According to BMW, they can't repair it, so a new one has to be ordered from Germany. I understand it costs $10K which doesn't include stuffing it back in.

Here's a video on this service, and having done transmission service, it sounds pretty much correct. The one problem I see is doing the refill and using the software mentioned at the end of the presentation:

Another thing is I hate laying on my back under a car with car stands. This guy was well equipped with a lift! If I do it, I'll find a shop with experience doing it. I wonder if that is possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #62
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Here's a video on this service
This video was already posted (post #2) in this thread.
      02-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #63
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Of course it's possible to damage the DCT changing the fluid. It's possible to damage the engine changing it's fluid too. It's possible to put brakes back together wrong and not be able to stop and car and wreck it. But it is also very possible to do these things correctly. It's also possible to take your car in for an oil change and have them forget to put any back in and then lie about it (happened to my mom).

If you don't feel comfortable doing things like this don't do it. I change my engine oil when it needs it, I changed my brake pads, and I have changed my manual transmission fluid twice now. I would do a DCT if I had one. But that doesn't mean you should. Up to you.

I also mess up sometimes too. I didn't get the oil filter cap down all the way once and lost some oil. I put a brake pad on backwards once (not on a BMW) and drove on it maybe 10 miles before we found it. (this is hard to do on a 128i, maybe all BMWs, because the inner pad has springs that clip to the piston and you can see the outer pad) If you do enough things on a car you will make a mistake. But so will a "professional".
      02-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #64
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Bad thinking above. There are plenty of posts and write ups about doing routine service, so there aren't any mysteries. When it comes to the DCT transmission, it's pretty much a black box due to not being a common transmission, and BMW's lifetime fill advice.

And of course, if you are a jerk, you certainly can screw up anything. However, a conscientious DIYer could screw up servicing the DCT due to ignorance. Before I tackled this thing, I'd want to see the BMW workshop instructions. When I work on my Merc, I always refer to Mercedes WIS, Workshop Information System.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #65
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bad thinking above. There are plenty of posts and write ups about doing routine service, so there aren't any mysteries. When it comes to the DCT transmission, it's pretty much a black box due to not being a common transmission, and BMW's lifetime fill advice.

And of course, if you are a jerk, you certainly can screw up anything. However, a conscientious DIYer could screw up servicing the DCT due to ignorance. Before I tackled this thing, I'd want to see the BMW workshop instructions. When I work on my Merc, I always refer to Mercedes WIS, Workshop Information System.
I have the software ISTA which is required for the service. On Second thought I may not do it myself because I want it done right the first time.

If it wasn't so temperature related it would be a lot easier to accomplish but because it has to be 40C during the fill.

it's quite difficult to get fluid in the right amount of time before the transmission gets too hot and the fluid expands leaving you with not enough or overfilling the transmission.

I'm probably better off leaving it with a shop to do.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #66
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
What oil are people using? Is there something better than the OEM fluid?

I think there are Redline and Motul options.
Motul, redline, Amsoil. Probably others but I'm an Amsoil guy
Appreciate 0