BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
ceej269
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i (automatic)

Exhaust tips

Does anyone have a recommendation for exhaust tips? I am picking up my car tomorrow and being an automatic (and with next to no money to spend at the moment), I would like to at least give it more of a distinctive sound. From what I read…the bigger the louder? So 4"? I'm seeking to have that low burbling sound. Any suggestions?

I can't wait to finally take possession of her!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Tips alone will not change your sound. You will need to at least upgrade the muffler and/or other exhaust components. It sounds like you're just learning about cars/getting started, take some time to read through exhaust upgrades people have done by searching this forum. There are many videos etc showcasing what has been done.

You will however need to spend some money on at least a muffler or more.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

there is no magic to better "sound". With limited money, spend what you have on simple maintenance items, all fluids & filters, better tires, good brakes, etc. BMW performance mufflers are no longer available.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Rallysmurf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 128i / e46 m3 mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej269 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for exhaust tips? I am picking up my car tomorrow and being an automatic (and with next to no money to spend at the moment), I would like to at least give it more of a distinctive sound. From what I read…the bigger the louder? So 4"? I'm seeking to have that low burbling sound. Any suggestions?

I like the sound of mine with the muffler cut off. Then have a shop straight pipe it and then do a tip.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:

Be careful what you wish for...that low burbling sound is annoying as hell on the highway. You could gut your muffler pretty cheaply to get more sound, but it's still going to look like a stock muffler. You could also just remove the rear resonator and replace it with a straight pipe all the way back. That will definitely be loud, but it might not be pleasant.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
iamroddy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have two 3 1/2" tips on mine, and that is about all the space there is without making the bumper cut-out larger.
I would suggest leaving the tips alone until you have the cash to mess with it. If you want slightly more volume, and a bit deeper tone for now, do the golf tee mod. It worked for me until I was able to get a cat-back.

See this thread...https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213042
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
mct128i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i, 2019 X3, 2022 230i

Quote:

Congrats on your purchase!

Finding a used muffler from a 135i might be your least expensive way to add a deeper tone and doesn't result in annoying drone. The golf tee mod and opening the muffler to remove some sound deadening material can further enhance the sound. The 135i tips are also larger and black chrome so look nicer too... Here's a guide to making the 135i muffler fit:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1583481
Appreciate 0