BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2022, 04:49 PM   #23
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddDroid7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_951 View Post
I exchanged emails with Phill at StageFP on the same topic. Yes, the lower compression n51 is a disadvantage. And it doesn't help that n51 cars have additional emissions equipments like secondary cats, additional air injection pump I recall, and whatever else I didn't mention.

Overall, my understanding is 10hp difference if both cars have the exact same mods. I just bought a low mileage (38k miles) 128i M Sport 6MT with n51 engine this week. I immediately contacted StageFP. He also said most people can't even tell the 10hp difference. I'm sure my butt dyno can't tell that 10hp difference (saying this to make myself feel better).

Here is a clip of our email conversation. This is from Phill at stagefp.

" A stock N51 will make around 180-190hp at the wheels while the N52 without a 3SIM will be around 200-210hp at the wheels. A N52 with the 3SIM swap and a catback exhaust will be around 220-225hp at the wheels. Your N51 with those modifications will be around 210-215hp at the wheels. "
So basically a tune isn't even worth it ? I was thinking of getting some headers to really maximize the potential but idk If I want to get either one after hearing this.

Might just pull the trigger on the AFE intake for now.

Nice collection of cars you got there as well !
Worth is a relative term

A good tune will certainly make your car snappier and Pull harder. It's just not going to turn the car into an M3.

The N51/52 are really good motors. Besides fixing the low output versions there is little left on the table with a simple tune. Headers, MILVS can increase the HP potentials but your still not going to chase down an M. Or N54 /N55.

I enjoyed the tune on my N52 it really made the car more fun to drive. I also enjoyed the process of learning how to tune the car. So my tune was near free and I had fun developing the tune. So it was worth it to me.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2022, 08:23 AM   #24
rex n effect
Private
Rep
Drives: pollen silv wrx, misfire hyund

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddDroid7 View Post
So basically a tune isn't even worth it ? I was thinking of getting some headers to really maximize the potential but idk If I want to get either one after hearing this.

Might just pull the trigger on the AFE intake for now.

Nice collection of cars you got there as well !
Thanks for this thread I've the same exact questions and have n51. According to the referenced email, just the tune on the n51 seems like 15-20ish wheel horsepower. That seems very well worth it! I couldn't get same type of answer from AA necessarily but I would imagine it's similar. Going from 230 to >250hp in this car that easily is awesome, esp for folks that don't plan on taking it further and won't or can't change intake mani, the n51 seems like the way to go.
Appreciate 1