BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135I Stage 2 Dinan

Questions-JB4, downpipes, other mods

Can anyone lend suggestions or even local helping hand. Pulling the trigger on JB4 and will be installing it on my car in the next weeks. Anything I need to pay attention to?

What would be the best reasonable mods after the JB4? All I have is an active autowerke axle back, injen dual intake and Dinan. Terry at BMS has advised me to completely remove Dinan prior to installing JB4. Someone here suggested I run Dinan with JB4 on Map 0 for day to day power w/Dinan. Of course, I assume Terry has a wealth of knowledge and will heed his advice.

Would like to get in to the low 12s and close in on 400 RWHP w/out meth injection. Anyone feel this is achieveable? Of course, with stock turbos. What recommended mods?

Last questions; will aftermarket High flow catted dps help me pass emissions here in Virginia? Or should I just buy catless Dps and change out prior to testing? Will catted Dps still provide great gains?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matacuero View Post
Can anyone lend suggestions or even local helping hand. Pulling the trigger on JB4 and will be installing it on my car in the next weeks. Anything I need to pay attention to?

What would be the best reasonable mods after the JB4? All I have is an active autowerke axle back, injen dual intake and Dinan. Terry at BMS has advised me to completely remove Dinan prior to installing JB4. Someone here suggested I run Dinan with JB4 on Map 0 for day to day power w/Dinan. Of course, I assume Terry has a wealth of knowledge and will heed his advice.

Would like to get in to the low 12s and close in on 400 RWHP w/out meth injection. Anyone feel this is achieveable? Of course, with stock turbos. What recommended mods?

Last questions; will aftermarket High flow catted dps help me pass emissions here in Virginia? Or should I just buy catless Dps and change out prior to testing? Will catted Dps still provide great gains?
Most guys on the forum that aren't absolutely bent on retaining the stock warranty and reliability will tell you that Dinan isn't worth it. I'm not saying that I agree with them, as I do feel that Dinan provides a great product that has near-OEM useability and reliability, but the fact is that you're paying extra for peace of mind and a less power. They use software remapping, like some others (Cobb, Giac, etc), so if you already have a Dinan tune on your car and you want JB4, you really need to get your ECU flashed back to stock first.

From my understanding, FBO and an aggressive off-the shelf map will get you very close to or above 400whp. If you aren't aware, FBO (full bolt-ons) typically consists of intake, FMIC, and downpipes, and occasionally cat-back (or even axle back) exhaust. Obviously an aftermarket catback is going to get you more on account of deleting the stock midpipe cats (if you have a N54).

Not sure what trap speeds this tends to net as I'm not a drag racer, but I've seen FBO cars pulling in the 12.3-4 second range. Might be able to do better than that, I don't know.

Catted DPs should not pose any problems whatsoever to emissions testing. If they have cats, they shouldn't throw codes (if they did, I'd want my money back), and this is really the only thing that's tested on modern cars anyway. Depending if you have O2 simulators, it might be possible to pass emissions with catless downpipes too. I would do a search about this if I were considering it.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matacuero View Post
Make sure you plug the wires in correctly and not backwards like I did lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Lycan
Rollin MD roads in the 135 or the bikes.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 2012 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
Most guys on the forum that aren't absolutely bent on retaining the stock warranty and reliability will tell you that Dinan isn't worth it. I'm not saying that I agree with them, as I do feel that Dinan provides a great product that has near-OEM useability and reliability, but the fact is that you're paying extra for peace of mind and a less power. They use software remapping, like some others (Cobb, Giac, etc), so if you already have a Dinan tune on your car and you want JB4, you really need to get your ECU flashed back to stock first.

From my understanding, FBO and an aggressive off-the shelf map will get you very close to or above 400whp. If you aren't aware, FBO (full bolt-ons) typically consists of intake, FMIC, and downpipes, and occasionally cat-back (or even axle back) exhaust. Obviously an aftermarket catback is going to get you more on account of deleting the stock midpipe cats (if you have a N54).

Not sure what trap speeds this tends to net as I'm not a drag racer, but I've seen FBO cars pulling in the 12.3-4 second range. Might be able to do better than that, I don't know.

Catted DPs should not pose any problems whatsoever to emissions testing. If they have cats, they shouldn't throw codes (if they did, I'd want my money back), and this is really the only thing that's tested on modern cars anyway. Depending if you have O2 simulators, it might be possible to pass emissions with catless downpipes too. I would do a search about this if I were considering it.

Good luck
Good advice neighbor, might have to look you up so I can start to understand these things for my 135
Appreciate 0