BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #89
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
So glad that Honda and McLaren are teaming up again.

Why is one of the "prongs" on the lotus longer than the other? Gah those front ends are going to make for some bad jokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I could see some asymetry for NASCAR or Indy where they only turn in one direction but it doesn't make much sense to me for an F1 car.
If one is longer than the other then, I believe, only one needs to be considered a nose tip/crash structure and so is compliant with the regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post

McLaren suspension blocks.

The McLaren team has attached a large aerodynamically-profiled "blocker" to each of the rearmost suspension links of its new MP4-29. This concept is designed both to give more downforce at low speed and reduce drag at high speed.

These blockers must be part of the suspension itself, but there is a very fine line between an independent shroud, which would be illegal, and something that is all one part and I'm sure that McLaren has ensured it complies with the rules. This appears to meet all requirements of the regulations in terms of location and structure.

These aerodynamically profiled parts act as devices to block the airflow coming out of the "Coke bottle" area when it gets to the back of the diffuser. It creates an area of low pressure behind these blockers and this then increases the velocity of the airflow travelling underneath the car, generating more downforce from the underfloor. The rear beam wing previously did this job, but the 2014 regulations have banned that so teams are looking for new ways to make up for it.

The interesting thing about this package is that when the car is at higher ride height, these sections will almost completely close the gap at the top of the diffuser, helping it to work at low speed. At higher speed, because of suspension deflection, a gap will open up between the bottom of the lower blocker and the diffuser, which will reduce drag.....
FIA regs, 10.3.5 to be exact, say "There may be no more than six suspension members connecting each suspension upright to the fully sprung part of the car" While nowhere near an expert - nor will I ever claim to be, this does not really appear compliant based on this one rule alone. And IF it is, they shouldn't have shown such an innovative design so early and given other teams a chance to adopt it.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...2013-12-09.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Personally I prefer the look of Mercedes W05....

But RB10 is not bad since they try to camouflage the "nose" in black....
I agree the W05 is very nice, probably the best. Believe it or not, the Lotus is growing on me, perhaps its the color scheme more than anything else. W05, RB10 then E22 for me.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 01-31-2014 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #90
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I agree the W05 is very nice, probably the best. Believe it or not, the Lotus is growing on me, perhaps its the color scheme more than anything else. W05, RB10 then E22 for me.
Lotus is growing on me too. I think the fact that its front end has a much more linear arch is what makes it more appealing than the other ones. The Ferrari has a distinct bulge and the Mercedes does as well, though it isn't as drastic.

The lotus has a much nicer profile and the asymmetrical front end has grown on me quite a bit. Had both noses been exactly the same length I think it would be my favourite.
      02-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #91
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Red Bell definitely had a terrible four day test. They packed up early among major over heating problems with their engines. They only managed 20 laps in four days. In contrast Alonso logged trouble free 115 laps on day 4 alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #92
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
From Ted's Notebook on Day 4.

Rumors has Williams will launch after the Second Bahrain test, they will paint their cars with "Martini" color scheme!!!
      02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #93
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
http://www.f1technical.net/development/435

The rear suspension of the McLaren has cleared FIA regulation. But protests in Melbourne from other teams for sure!

Quote:
McLaren have come up with the first real innovation of the year by creating rear suspension wishbones that are very different to what we usually see. It is the normal approach to have a horizontal teardrop design, almost parallel to the reference plane in order to minimize drag created by the suspension elements. McLaren's version though as just a bit different.

The team's approach is far away from drag reduction. Instead, the elements are rather big with a cross section similar to a mushroom lying down on its side. Before we see how it works, it needs to be noted that the design has already been cleared as legal by the FIA. This means that the entire shape is structural, as otherwise the thick fairing would be considered as banned moving bodywork as per Article 10.3.4 of the Technical Regulations.

Article 10.3.1 further stipulate limitations to the cross section of the suspension arms, saying its longest dimension (main axis) may not be move than 100mm, and this axis can only be up to 5° off from being parallel to the reference plane. On top of that, the section must also be parallel among its main axis.

So, what McLaren have done is create a wishbone in the shape of a bell on its side. Its length is likely to be very close or exactly 100mm, while the height looks to be of similar dimension. This means the section has an aspect ration of close to 1:1, much less than the maximum allowed 3.5:1, therefore making the entire part legal.

To make it aerodynamically more interesting, the axis is then rotated by 5 degrees, so that the backside of the bell pulls air upwards, instead of being aerodynamically neutral. Each mushroom arm - here the lower rear wishbone and the trackrod - in itself generates a stagnation point ahead of the vertical flap, working like a gurney flap and creating a vortex behind it.

The gap between both arms will also do the same thing, hence the vortex flow behind it may induce upwash on the diffuser and possibly increase the mass flow out of the diffuser. It is important to note though that the entire system only works because the flow is constrained between the endplates and the rear wing on the top. So increased mass flow in there. And between the endplate and diffuser at the bottom.

Combining the two arms means that this is a double beam wing, albeit obviously a lot less efficient than a normal beam wing due to the limitations in the regulations.

Combined with an extra wing profile mounted closely above the floor, just ahead of the diffuser, this creates an upwash that helps reduce the pressure behind the suspension, helping the diffuser to extract air from under the floor. Theoretically this should help the diffuser work in a wider range and work in conjunction with the rear wing.

Importantly, McLaren have designed their rear suspension so that these rear wishbones are as much to the back as possible, attaching to the very rear of the gearbox housing. The taem have therefore also been unable to combine the driveshaft with the lower wishbones like Red Bull and Ferrari have done. It is exactly this suspension geometry that would make it extremely hard for other teams to simply copy the design, as it would require redesigning the gearbox, the rear suspension mountings and the suspension wishbones, creating a combined impact on aerodynamics and mechanical behaviour that will take time to verify and optimise.

The actual name is still up for discussion as, according to Sam Michael, the team do not have a name themselves. Seen from the rear however, McLaren's very intriguing rear suspension appears to be similar to a butterfly, with the rear crash structure being the body and the four rear wishbones forming the wing elements.

Note: the aerodynamic purpose has been determined after consulting several racecar aerodynamicists that have all converged to a similar theory.
      02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #94
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Very cool. Thanks E90SLAM!

Would you know how the design and FIA verification process works? Can teams submit sketches and specifications before implementing new innovations and designs or do they need to build a complete car before they can have a new design inspected and cleared?

I do understand that the final product always need to be cleared but I'm curious if they can bounce ideas of FIA earlier to get a No and not waste time and money if that's the case?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #95
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
http://www.f1technical.net/development/435

The rear suspension of the McLaren has cleared FIA regulation. But protests in Melbourne from other teams for sure!
Some pics of the rear suspension.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #96
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Very cool. Thanks E90SLAM!

Would you know how the design and FIA verification process works? Can teams submit sketches and specifications before implementing new innovations and designs or do they need to build a complete car before they can have a new design inspected and cleared?

I do understand that the final product always need to be cleared but I'm curious if they can bounce ideas of FIA earlier to get a No and not waste time and money if that's the case?
I don't know the details. But currently the FIA is not checking the legality of the cars at all. Even the RB10 tested in Jerez did not meet regulation. Since they didn't have the mandatory camera mount. I believe the scrutinizing of the cars will be performed on Thursday before the Australian GP.

Last time during the DDD, I heard interview from Ross Brawn; as well as an interview last season with Jo Bauer (FIA technical delegate) and Charlie Whiting . Teams can present their design (to some extend only of course, only brief concept and loose sketches) to the FIA and ask for legality review.
      02-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #97
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the details. But currently the FIA is not checking the legality of the cars at all. Even the RB10 tested in Jerez did not meet regulation. Since they didn't have the mandatory camera mount. I believe the scrutinizing of the cars will be performed on Thursday before the Australian GP.

Last time during the DDD, I heard interview from Ross Brawn; as well as an interview last season with Jo Bauer (FIA technical delegate) and Charlie Whiting . Teams can present their design (to some extend only of course, only brief concept and loose sketches) to the FIA and ask for legality review.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #98
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
Of course, even when FIA seems to be ok with current design.

Later during scruitneering and technical clarifications during race weekends. What seems to be legal might be banned.
      02-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #99
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Of course, even when FIA seems to be ok with current design.

Later during scruitneering and technical clarifications during race weekends. What seems to be legal might be banned.
Especially if it's a disadvantage to Ferrari, or is that a myth with no substance
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #100
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Season starts next month!

May the longest dong win.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #101
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Season starts next month!

May the longest dong win.

Couldn't been a more exciting pre-season with McLaren besting team Newey with aero innovation, Ferrari and Benz looking reliable and strong while RBR is struggling. Here's for hoping for some frequent and hard fights for pole and race wins 2014!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #102
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Especially if it's a disadvantage to Ferrari, or is that a myth with no substance
They ARE the only team with veto power and that's confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #103
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ferrari demo run in Johannesburg:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/200314/...th-africa.html
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #104
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Red Bull ready for Bahrain and superSeb is confident:
http://www.clubcall.com/formula-1/ve...s-1712103.html
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #105
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Winners of Races can now officially do DONUTS! This is SEB's Legacy!

From http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08507
Quote:
After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the post race parc ferme without any unnecessary delay, without receiving any object whatsoever and without any assistance (except that of the marshals if necessary)," reads 43.3.

"An exception to Article 30.4 (which states a driver cannot stop on track without a justifiable reason) and to the above will be made for the winning driver who may perform an act of celebration before reaching parc ferme, provided any such act;

- Is performed safely and does not endanger other drivers or officials.

- Does not call into question the legality of his car.

- Does not delay the podium ceremony.

"Any classified car which cannot reach the post race parc ferme under its own power will be placed under the exclusive control of the marshals who will take the car to the parc ferme.
      02-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #106
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Winners of Races can now officially do DONUTS! This is SEB's Legacy!

From http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08507
The condition "- Does not delay the podium ceremony." which is up to debate. It is very vague. How long is delay? The in-lap can be very slow.
      02-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #107
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So does the car no longer need to return to the podium under its own power?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #108
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Based on the language in that last sentence, it sure sounds that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #109
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Still requires after qualifying. After the race, we always see some cars just parked at pit exit. it is legal in 2013 as long as they can provide a liter of fuel sample. Let's say its never "illegal" back in 2013.

Not sure if any of these details changed in 2014.
I think there's additional rule now because of restrictive fuel quantity regulation.

Also now FIA also have live data monitoring of fuel flow and/or remaining fuel. If I remember correctly when I watched Ted's Notebook during the Jerez testing.
      02-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #110
F1LOCO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Based on the language in that last sentence, it sure sounds that way.
Correct. With limited fuel capabilities, it's going to be interesting first few races...
Appreciate 0