BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #45
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

anyone have doorpocket rattles? i have them on both sides now
      08-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #46
Hystoryan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Coupe JB

Glove box area/passenger side door "knocking"

I've got a knocking (like there's a squirrel throwing acorns) somewhere on the right side (glove compartment? passenger side door?), which I've always thought was something in the glove box or in the door well, but lately I've noticed it happens when I'm idling. Seems to happen especially when the car is out in the hot sun for a while (most of the last year since I got it it's been in the garage when I'm not driving it), and stops after a few minutes. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #47
Hystoryan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Coupe JB

And one more thing: have a slight vibration/static/hissing sound (like a misquito) over my left ear (in the upper left corner of the driver's window?), but only intermittently, usually a cruising speed, and usually triggered by going over a bump. Then, later, it's gone. When it's there, though, it drives me nuts! Anyone else have this? Is this what others mean when they refer to a "plastic" sound?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #48
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
anyone have doorpocket rattles? i have them on both sides now
I have this noise only on passenger side and only when going over rough railroad tracks for example. I haven't been able to recreate the sound when the car is parked?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #49
tylerh269
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does anybody here a loud popping noise when they slow they are slowing down from higway speeds, its whenever i get to five mph I hear a popping noise as soon as I slow down in first gear, I have an auto tranny btw. iam tempted to take it to the dealer and get that and all of the rattles that are in the passenger armrest. Their also is one coming from ontop of the dashboard, but it is more of a popping noise but ive noticed it only does it in the morning when i first start the car. I would normally . this car is very lucky if it wasnt for its awesome power and superb handling i would have sold it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #50
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Mine has 2000 Km (1250 Miles). Like many others I hear noise (I am not sure exactly where) somewhere from the glove box area, not loud, but it's there to annoy you over bad roads. Also somewhere from C pilar area, again not loud just ever slightly and obviously the infamous rattle from top armrest and hinge. Do these noise tend to get louder/worse over time? I wanted them to be louder so I could show them to the technicians.

Also, as soon as you shift into 2nd gear in MT and you give it gas at low speed and at ~2500rpm, does anyone hear a brief chatter/ticking sound coming from somewhere the left side of the car (sorry I cannot be more specific). The same sound comes up briefly when you first start the car. Again, not sure if that's normal...

Last edited by sardius; 08-16-2010 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #51
Bishop200
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i 6mt, sports pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
does anyone have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the rear windshield/rear speakers?
Yes, in my case it seems to come from the passenger side fold-down seat mechanism. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is worse when I have been over a bumpy stretch of road. (damn run-flats). I have poked around but I don't see a way of adjusting it and the whole lock assembly seems to "float" anyway. Same movement on the larger driver side.
Grrrrr.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #52
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hystoryan View Post
And one more thing: have a slight vibration/static/hissing sound (like a misquito) over my left ear (in the upper left corner of the driver's window?), but only intermittently, usually a cruising speed, and usually triggered by going over a bump. Then, later, it's gone. When it's there, though, it drives me nuts! Anyone else have this? Is this what others mean when they refer to a "plastic" sound?
I think I have what you describe too. Next time you notice it, try putting some pressure with your hand on the headliner right around the grab handle and see if it goes away. It fixes mine, but of course as soon as I let go it comes back. I have tried to demo it twice now for a BMW tech and neither time was it acting up.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #53
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerh269 View Post
Does anybody here a loud popping noise when they slow they are slowing down from higway speeds, its whenever i get to five mph I hear a popping noise as soon as I slow down in first gear, I have an auto tranny btw. iam tempted to take it to the dealer and get that and all of the rattles that are in the passenger armrest. Their also is one coming from ontop of the dashboard, but it is more of a popping noise but ive noticed it only does it in the morning when i first start the car. I would normally . this car is very lucky if it wasnt for its awesome power and superb handling i would have sold it.
Sounds like nothing more than exhaust burble/popping. Completely normal, especially with larger, more free-flowing exhausts. In fact, I like the sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #54
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardius View Post
Also, as soon as you shift into 2nd gear in MT and you give it gas at low speed and at ~2500rpm, does anyone hear a brief chatter/ticking sound coming from somewhere the left side of the car (sorry I cannot be more specific). The same sound comes up briefly when you first start the car. Again, not sure if that's normal...
Please anyone?
      08-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #55
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
I have this noise only on passenger side and only when going over rough railroad tracks for example. I haven't been able to recreate the sound when the car is parked?
well i have a loud cat-back, but the passenger doorpocket rattles on and off at exactly 2100 RPM, doesnt below or above that, really pisses me off when it is rattling
      10-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #56
prg193
Registered
Malta
Rep
Drives: white e87 118d msport

Hi all, im new to the forum, im peter from malta and have got a white 118d msport...
So, last week i was sick and took a couple of days off work which gave me time to source all the rattles and knocking in my 1er :0)
I had a sliding rattle noise coming from the front driver side, after checking if the door rattled, dash, seat ect i found out that some coins had found their way into the a/c vents under the drivers seat which warm the rear passengers feet.... so i reversed fast down the road and braked heavily twice ... and found 3 coins on the carpet at the rear :0). that solved 1 problem.....
The other noise was coming from the rear, behind the front passenger seat... going through the forums and going down to the dealer, i was convinced that my 1er had a defective fuel tank and the float or flap was rattling when driving over a pothole or speed hump, reversing ect....... after lifting the car, checking tank ect , i was lead to the rear seats.... With the seats down the clunking went away.... so i just folded 2 peices of paper and put them in between the seat and where it locks, so that the seat will be pushed slightly forward when locked in place... no more rattles till now:0) as the roads in malta are like the moon :0) hope this helped some one and sorry for the long post reply :0)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #57
prg193
Registered
Malta
Rep
Drives: white e87 118d msport

To: i_racer_chops
Try putting the seats down and see if it still clunks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #58
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_racer_chops View Post
knocking from the trunk
...and nobody's locked in there. sounds like something is loose in the back passenger side. Dealer service dept can't find it.
Same here, and it's fairly loud and only happens when going over decent-sized bumps. Dealer doesn't hear the knocking, of course!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #59
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
I think I have what you describe too. Next time you notice it, try putting some pressure with your hand on the headliner right around the grab handle and see if it goes away. It fixes mine, but of course as soon as I let go it comes back. I have tried to demo it twice now for a BMW tech and neither time was it acting up.
hi,in my car i have like a plastick sound from the drivers door up in the corner of the window..if i just thake a turn it makes this nois..maybe somone has a fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #60
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Rattle near passenger side, glove box. Cold weather and occurs over certain bumps. Highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #61
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
Ive noticed the cruise control rattle... also, this:

Rattle: plastic rattle, coming from rear-view mirror -- Holding Mirror stops rattle
Fix: ???
Thread revival!
My rear view mirror makes a really annoying buzz like rattle on any rough roads.
It stops if you squeeze it top and bottom in the middle.
Has anyone got a fix for this??
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #62
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Rip it off throw it out
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #63
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Does anyone get a metallic sounding "clang" noise coming from seemingly the rear right when hitting certain bumps? Not all bumps, so it's intermittent and odd.

I thought it might be the license plate but it's not. Maybe something having to do with the convertible top equipment back there??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #64
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Too funny..... for past 2 weeks there was a rattle in the back deck lid area, which was driving me nuts. Had 2 people ride back there and could not figure it out. Finally I did. JHZR2 - I am assuming you have a convertible as you mentioned conv. equip in your post. Open the the top until the deck lid is at its highest, only so it does not go back down on you. There are plastic covers over top of the rear seat belts that can only be seen with the lid open. Tap on them - that is the sound of annoyance! To test this, I put a couple pieces of rag under them and voila, the sound disappeared going down bumpy roads. They are adjustable, so I just moved them all the way to their rear position, which cannot be seen anyway once the lid is down. Sound is completely gone. Hope this works for you. Onto the next rattle & squeak.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #65
Capt Donkey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2c 6spd, F80 M3 sold, 1M

Resurrecting this long dead thread . . . I have an intermittent but loud knocking (creaking?) sound coming from the driver's side dash front windshield defrost vent, I think it's where the plastic of the vent meets the upper body of the dash. Seems like the vent insert might be a bit loose fitting in the dash causing the noise from time to time when the dash gets torqued in the right way.

Just wanted to ask if anybody's ever experienced this noise, and what the fix might be? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #66
1junkie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i Convertible

Does anyone have a rattle in the overhead console/light area in a convertible? Its surrounded by cheap plastic so its hard to pinpoint. I have even removed the entire header panel and added felt all over the place. Still rattles.
Appreciate 0