BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #45
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Mine exhibited this ever since I owned it. Every time it was “fixed” or thought it was fixed, it would come back.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #46
ivangene
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post

VERIFIED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT, TEST DROVE THE CAR
NOTED VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH DCT TRANSMISSION AND SEEMS
LIKE THE STALLING ISSUE IS RELATED TO BOTH ENGINE AND
TRANSMISSION. ATTACHED CHARGER, PERFORMED SHORT TEST, NOTED
UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT PRESENT. RAN "ENERGY DIAGNOSIS" NOTED LOW
STATE OF CHARGE WAS PRESENT FOR 4 DAYS. (NOTE THAT VEHICLE
WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY WITH LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE" RAN "IDLE
SPEED" TEST PLAN AND BUMPED THE IDLE FOR AC AND LOW VOLTAGE
CONDITIONS BY 100RPM. D6121 00ENDIAG 73 507, D6121 00000000
01 901 TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE NOTED STALLING ISSUE IS
RESOLVED BUT VEHICLE STILL SURGES FORWARD. RAN "DCT
TRANSMISSION FLUSHING FUNCTION" AND BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
LINES. RAN "GEARBOX ADAPTATION TEST PLAN" AND RE ADJUSTED
BOTH TORQUE CHARACTERISTIC AND ALSO TRANSMISSION SLIPPING
POINT. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AROUND TO SET A BASE LINE FOR
TRANS AND ENGINE ADAPTATIONS

hi all,
new to this forum, not new to forums...
this OP has the same type of issue I am chasing. N55 I sent this to my SA and they sent me a quote of about $2500+tax to look over the items listed...

does that sound about what you put into your service
(to the OP)

seemed steep but IDK, Ive already been in twice and sank $500 into nothing. My SA was leaning towards checking the cam lobes (for $2000) has anyone heard of that?
TIA
Ed
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #47
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivangene View Post
hi all,
this OP has the same type of issue I am chasing. N55 I sent this to my SA and they sent me a quote of about $2500+tax to look over the items listed...

(to the OP)

seemed steep but IDK, Ive already been in twice and sank $500 into nothing. My SA was leaning towards checking the cam lobes (for $2000) has anyone heard of that?
TIA
Ed

If you can, I believe the protools app from Bimmergeeks can be used to reset the tcu adaptations. This would come out to a lot less than $2,500, or even $500. It's just going to take a bit of research, time, and a couple of purchases from you. Or you can have an independent mechanic do this for you. I imagine they would just charge a couple hours for the programming.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
hi all,

(to the OP)

TIA
Ed
The service was done under the factory warranty. But even so, $2500 is insane. I wouldn't think there would be any more than 2 hours of labor utilizing the dealer scan tool. As dtla1 stated, this should cost more than $500 at a dealer. I would suspect it would be much cheaper at an independent shop. You might want to see if you can find an indie to do the adaptations reset.

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can locate the service work order to see how many labor hours was charged to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #49
ivangene
Rep

Thanks for the replies !

I guess the first bits are code but what about this?
BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
POINT.

is that code or transmission work

Last edited by ivangene; 07-12-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #50
traintrax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Marrakesh Brown

Quote:
Thanks for the replies !

BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
POINT.

They wanted to do all that BS to mine as well but since it was no longer under warranty I passed. On a whim I flashed it to MHD Stage 0 and the issue has been 98% resolved ever since. Total cost of the cable and software was like $100. I did have the intention of modding and going to Stage 2 or 2+ but just haven't gotten around to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #51
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies !

BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
POINT.

Gearbox adaptation test plan I think is what you want to focus on. That is done on the coding side.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #52
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

2500 is incredibly insane. An MHD tune fixed my issues as well.
      07-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #53
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

I had the same crap going on with my DCT for past year. Took it in to an indy mechanic and I requested reset of anything related to the transmission. He said no problem. It took him about 10 minutes total - done in the parking lot. At one point during the reset you could hear the transmission rapidly changing gears for about 20 seconds. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, the car has ran perfect ever since, even with the AC on.

Little background - my problems started at about 45k miles. The car has PPK on it. New battery. Plugs changed at 46k.

Coincidently, my other DCT 135is is starting to run like crap and it has 45k miles on it.
Appreciate 1
dtla1826.00
      07-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #54
ivangene
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by traintrax View Post
Total cost of the cable and software was like $100.
Links to what you bought?
Thanks -
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #55
ivangene
Rep

Quote:
Links to what you bought?
Thanks -
Bump
and Happy Friday

on a side note, thanks to my entrepreneurial son, I now am aware that a 135 can hold 108 umbrellas in the truck and back seat leaving ample room up front for 2 passengers
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #56
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bump
and Happy Friday

on a side note, thanks to my entrepreneurial son, I now am aware that a 135 can hold 108 umbrellas in the truck and back seat leaving ample room up front for 2 passengers
I'm not sure the person you tried to get to respond will ever, doesn't seem to active around here. Anyways, what he mentioned he did was use MHD which is an app for Android to tune the car. You can download that from the google play store, and you'll also have to buy the tunes separately (I don't know the pricing or anything off hand). The cable you need to use is a K+ DCAN cable, you can find them on Amazon but the one I ordered from there didn't work and other people have said the same. Instead, you can get a guaranteed one from Bimmergeeks.net.

Note, this is all mute if you have a 2013, you'll need to have your DME unlocked first if you have a 2013.

By the way, aren't you going to plug your sons umbrellas?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #57
ivangene
Rep

it is a 2013
OK so I am up against THAT !

oh yes, anyone want a nice quality umbrella - $11.50 plus shipping - they are normally ~ $50 each and have lights too - Ill get him to send me a picture of it lit up - not sure how they work
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #58
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
it is a 2013
OK so I am up against THAT !

oh yes, anyone want a nice quality umbrella - $11.50 plus shipping - they are normally ~ $50 each and have lights too - Ill get him to send me a picture of it lit up - not sure how they work
If you're really looking to just fix the DCT Lag issue though, I think the ProTool App by BimmerGeeks along with their K+ DCAN cable will get you there. I want to say MHD is resetting some but not all transmission adaptations when you flash, but ProTool might be a better solution for actual DCT resetting (as well as a ton of other coding/changes). Note, I don't work for BimmerGeeks, nor do I even use their tools yet (except the cable I bought from them) but it seems everyone that's used their stuff is pretty happy with their stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #59
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

I just reset all the DCT adaptions using ISTA-D and the transmission feels much smoother already.

I followed this guide,
Appreciate 1
dtla1826.00
      07-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #60
ivangene
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #61
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

FYI. Had the adaptations reset again. The car was operating fine in January. But when I got my new daily driver, I didn't drive the 1 much. I put on maybe 2000 miles since then and the idle instability with the A/C on with some minor lurching returned. It seems after a certain number of miles, this procedure needs to be done again.

I looked at my old work order and I've put on about 50k miles since the adaptations were first done.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #62
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
It seems after a certain number of miles, this procedure needs to be done again.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #63
ivangene
Rep

oh wow !
I had my transmission reset for $70 and it seems much better

not driving this week but will keep this thread alive with this BS !!
so upsetting
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:21 AM   #64
IKEZBAN
135IS Need I say more?
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135IS

Garage List
2013 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI. Had the adaptations reset again. The car was operating fine in January. But when I got my new daily driver, I didn't drive the 1 much. I put on maybe 2000 miles since then and the idle instability with the A/C on with some minor lurching returned. It seems after a certain number of miles, this procedure needs to be done again.

I looked at my old work order and I've put on about 50k miles since the adaptations were first done.
Hi I'm on my 2nd 135 and I'm having the same problem, the first time it got lemoned but my IS is doing the same thing, I wrote about it here

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...7#post26312667

If you know of anything that will permanently fix this issue I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #65
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKEZBAN View Post
Hi I'm on my 2nd 135 and I'm having the same problem, the first time it got lemoned but my IS is doing the same thing, I wrote about it here

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...7#post26312667

If you know of anything that will permanently fix this issue I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you
In my mind, the true fix for the issues we're talking about here is to have the adaptations reset. Many have reported that this has fixed their problems. I stated above that I had to get mine redone and unfortunately, it seems what ever was done by the last mechanic as a favor to me didn't hold. I'll have to either go back to dealer and request the original mechanic that did the resets on my car that lasted a few years or go to an indie shop near me to see if they can do it.

I looked at your other thread and you mention you're having issues with the heat on. Do you have the A/C button activated with the heat? The issue from what I can tell is when the A/C compressor is requested that the problems occur. I get none of the symptoms with the A/C button off even now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #66
IKEZBAN
135IS Need I say more?
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135IS

Garage List
2013 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
In my mind, the true fix for the issues we're talking about here is to have the adaptations reset. Many have reported that this has fixed their problems. I stated above that I had to get mine redone and unfortunately, it seems what ever was done by the last mechanic as a favor to me didn't hold. I'll have to either go back to dealer and request the original mechanic that did the resets on my car that lasted a few years or go to an indie shop near me to see if they can do it.

I looked at your other thread and you mention you're having issues with the heat on. Do you have the A/C button activated with the heat? The issue from what I can tell is when the A/C compressor is requested that the problems occur. I get none of the symptoms with the A/C button off even now.
You know what, I never thought of that. I'll try it tonight and let you know.
Appreciate 0