BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Does the 1M look more classy than the M2C, or is that just me?

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
1M Tex240.00
duder13767.00
Dackelone10525.50
cjb7621221.50
      09-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

<<flamesuit on>>

I like the front and sides of the M2C > than the 1M. M2 Back though is just fugly. 1M doors should have been flat on the bottom. Looks ain't everything...
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #3
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

I see the M2(CS or not) as being a very nice modern E46 honestly. It looks agressive and a bit intimidating from the front (a good point) but there is something about the rear that i find wide and "big", i just can not like it.

The 1M looks very classy from all sides, simple yet fat wide hips and retaining that E82 "bulldog" look from the front.

M2 looks like a speed, coner eating machine.
1M looks like something that wants to kill you.

IMO i do not see any of the F generation cars being still driven on the roads after 6-10 years, yet i can say i will definitely still be seeing older gen cars being driven (1M is no exception).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM PWR View Post
<<flamesuit on>>

I like the front and sides of the M2C > than the 1M. M2 Back though is just fugly. 1M doors should have been flat on the bottom. Looks ain't everything...
Completely agree. View from rear 3/4 and rear are off. The roundness of the rear 1/4s around the wheels just ruins it.

It reminds me of the Mitsubishi Eclipse, which is not a pretty car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cjb7621221.50
      09-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

I guess I was referring to or focused more on the double kidney grill and rounded lights. This is a standard look for BMW and I feel like it is lost on the M2C??? The 1M looks more classic from that perspective which IMO looks much more Classy.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

The 1M looks like a classic BMW design. Boxy, functional, small. The M2 looks like any other modern car and not specifically a BMW per se if you remove the grille.

As time goes on I appreciate the fact that BMW made an M2 but for me it's just not a fascinating motor car in any way. The 1M, on the other hand, fascinates me every time I look at it.

The 1M has aggression built into it deeply; the M2 uses aggressive design features to communicate it but tries a bit too hard.
Yeineken1299.00
JP-1M171.00
Cope206.00
1mGator143.50
      09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
The 1M looks like a classic BMW design. Boxy, functional, small. The M2 looks like any other modern car and not specifically a BMW per se if you remove the grille.

As time goes on I appreciate the fact that BMW made an M2 but for me it's just not a fascinating motor car in any way. The 1M, on the other hand, fascinates me every time I look at it.

The 1M has aggression built into it deeply; the M2 uses aggressive design features to communicate it but tries a bit too hard.
Spot on Brother!
Appreciate 1
10"4966.00
      09-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

1M all day. I'm not really even that much of a BMW guy in general, but the 1 series is among my favorite two-door cars of the millennium. I can't really think of a current BMW that I'd consider good looking.
Appreciate 1
10"4966.00
      09-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

In order to discuss the design of the 1M, we need to address the e82 1 series coupe first.

Chris Bangle headed the design of the car and he used to say that when the management told him they will build a small rwd car to slot below the 3 series, he immediately thought of the 2002.

Without being too obviously retro like the Beetle, 911 or PT cruiser of the era, he chose to take several cues off the 2002 that made the car so recognizable.

Most notable is the band of chrome that circles the entire car, front to rear, side to side. I dont think they ever gave it a name, but his idea to reintroduce that feature was first presented in the CS1 concept in (coincidently) 2002.

[IMG]https://goo.gl/images/B189gB[/IMG]

The CS1 was also notable at the time for reintroducing the shark nose (grill slanted downwards) of older BMW designs. The shark nose is now adopted across the BMW range and is also in fashion with other car manufacturers.

The CS1's design was later refined and put into production as the 1 series hatchback, but the real highlight was definitely the coupe.

- Chris Bangle explains the 1 series coupe 1:00 ~ 4:30 -

The extremely short overhang, the right amount of dash to axle length and the carefully rearward positioning of the cabin is such an iconic BMW shape, it is recognizable even when car is under cover.

The diehard amongst you will remember that BMW toyed with the idea of reviving the 2002tii with a close to production concept car called the 1 series tii concept at the 2007 Tokyo Motorshow.

[IMG]https://goo.gl/images/1pWf6r[/IMG]

I saw this car in person back then and the idea of a small lithe BMW coupe appealed to me massively. The link to the 2002tii justified its turbo engine as opposed to being a parts bin special.

For whatever reason, they decided not to produce the 135tii concept. Years later I was so glad to hear that they were making something more extreme. The 1 Series M coupe.

[IMG]https://goo.gl/images/dV5uKn[/IMG]

By then the marketing people replaced the 2002tii with the e30 M3 as the 1M's spiritual predecessor. Maybe they thought this ambiguous association was offset by containing all attention within the M brand. Linking the 1M with the 2002tii better communicates its lineage in my opinion.

In terms of design though, the 1M completed the timeless shape first penned by Chris Bangle. I think this backstory is further proof of why the 1M looks and feels classier than the newer M2.

Now there are some major flaws in the rushed-to-production 1M's design. I don't like the way they tried to put an over sized vent in the front fenders and gave up when they realized that drilling a hole by hand was too expensive.

Even if they did managed to make it functional, they would regularly throw rocks and dirty water all over the side. This is fine for low mileage trophy supercars, but not for cars of this type.

[IMG]https://goo.gl/images/YDKNtL[/IMG]

The M2 and M2 Competition are still really good designs that clearly look ahead to the future while the 1M is kind of like a 'greatest hits' album. Like how the e36 was a massive departure from the e30.

For what its worth, the 1M is a classy, timeless design that will last for a long time.
Appreciate 4
Tornado1M1209.00
1mGator143.50
Yeineken1299.00
Fakemike368.50
      09-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #10
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Great write up, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 01:32 AM   #11
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85 View Post
In order to discuss the design of the 1M, we need to address the e82 1 series coupe first.

Chris Bangle headed the design of the car and he used to say that when the management told him they will build a small rwd car to slot below the 3 series, he immediately thought of the 2002.

Without being too obviously retro like the Beetle, 911 or PT cruiser of the era, he chose to take several cues off the 2002 that made the car so recognizable.

Most notable is the band of chrome that circles the entire car, front to rear, side to side. I dont think they ever gave it a name, but his idea to reintroduce that feature was first presented in the CS1 concept in (coincidently) 2002.

The CS1 was also notable at the time for reintroducing the shark nose (grill slanted downwards) of older BMW designs. The shark nose is now adopted across the BMW range and is also in fashion with other car manufacturers.

The CS1's design was later refined and put into production as the 1 series hatchback, but the real highlight was definitely the coupe.

The extremely short overhang, the right amount of dash to axle length and the carefully rearward positioning of the cabin is such an iconic BMW shape, it is recognizable even when car is under cover.

The diehard amongst you will remember that BMW toyed with the idea of reviving the 2002tii with a close to production concept car called the 1 series tii concept at the 2007 Tokyo Motorshow.

I saw this car in person back then and the idea of a small lithe BMW coupe appealed to me massively. The link to the 2002tii justified its turbo engine as opposed to being a parts bin special.

For whatever reason, they decided not to produce the 135tii concept. Years later I was so glad to hear that they were making something more extreme. The 1 Series M coupe.

By then the marketing people replaced the 2002tii with the e30 M3 as the 1M's spiritual predecessor. Maybe they thought this ambiguous association was offset by containing all attention within the M brand. Linking the 1M with the 2002tii better communicates its lineage in my opinion.

In terms of design though, the 1M completed the timeless shape first penned by Chris Bangle. I think this backstory is further proof of why the 1M looks and feels classier than the newer M2.

Now there are some major flaws in the rushed-to-production 1M's design. I don't like the way they tried to put an over sized vent in the front fenders and gave up when they realized that drilling a hole by hand was too expensive.

Even if they did managed to make it functional, they would regularly throw rocks and dirty water all over the side. This is fine for low mileage trophy supercars, but not for cars of this type.

The M2 and M2 Competition are still really good designs that clearly look ahead to the future while the 1M is kind of like a 'greatest hits' album. Like how the e36 was a massive departure from the e30.

For what its worth, the 1M is a classy, timeless design that will last for a long time.
I always considered the 135i to be more analogous to the 2002 tii, and the 1M to be similar to the 2002 Turbo, with its flared arches, limited numbers, higher performance, etc.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      09-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by db85 View Post

I always considered the 135i to be more analogous to the 2002 tii, and the 1M to be similar to the 2002 Turbo, with its flared arches, limited numbers, higher performance, etc.
Totally agree. The 1M is absolutely the 2002 Turbo. The 135i was the Tii.
      09-11-2018, 02:09 AM   #13
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

You are both correct about the comparison 2002 tii vs turbo. I must admit I thought they were the same cars but modified until just now.

The 1M definitely is a spiritual successor to the 2002 Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #14
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Ive always felt that visually the 135 was more e30 M3 & e36 M3 than the 2002 but seeing them in line now it's clearly a bit of each.

Looking at them side by side you can see a direct lineage:
2002 -> e30 -> e46 -> e82

I'd like to see an e46 there but couldn't find a picture.

Pics are from this article re: M2 vs BMWs of old.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...002-turbo?ab=1
Attached Images

Last edited by Gangplank; 09-11-2018 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
10"4966.00
Tornado1M1209.00
      09-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #15
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Ive always felt that visually the 135 was more e30 M3 & e36 M3 than the 2002 but seeing them in line now it's clearly a bit of each.

Thanks for those photos. Always lovely to see the E30 and 2002 Turbo alongside the 1M! Much of the increased size of modern cars in photos can be attributed to the monstrously large wheels on modern cars. If someone put 15 inch wheels on the 1er it would look even closer in size to its ancestors.
      09-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #16
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

Thanks for those photos. Always lovely to see the E30 and 2002 Turbo alongside the 1M! Much of the increased size of modern cars in photos can be attributed to the monstrously large wheels on modern cars. If someone put 15 inch wheels on the 1er it would look even closer in size to its ancestors.
Found a good e46 & 135i photo
Attached Images