BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #67
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Former Mk6 GTI owner here (bought new and sold with 77k miles 3 years later). Warranties are nice, but spending every Saturday at the dealer trying to get them to reproduce issues is not. I really loved that car when it wasn’t leaking coolant, leaking water into the cabin, stretching subframe bolts, etc. I couldn’t recommend VW to anyone even though the GTI is a superb car.

Current DD is a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road. While manual is available, they are very difficult to find in certain regions. The closest manual I found was 1100 miles away and my wife was not amused when I suggested that I would fly up to buy it. Ours is an autotragic and it is the worst auomatic transmission I’ve ever driven, by far. It makes me irate daily. Recently my wife has been taking the Tacoma to work and I’ve been driving her 2016 Mazda6 which is also an automatic, but is the best auto I’ve ever driven. Clearly not as involving as the BMW but it is a good driver’s car, comfortable, and relatively inexpensive. The Taco’s shifting bullshit does not seem to bother my wife.

If I wrecked the 1er tomorrow, it would be a 2019 Miata for me, no question. Have nothing but good things to say about Mazda.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #68
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Just read of some occurrences on the Mustang forums.

I guess we'll see if it amounts to a recall or an extended warranty or something.
All the greatest NA engines, at least the very special ones, always have issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #69
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Former Mk6 GTI owner here (bought new and sold with 77k miles 3 years later). Warranties are nice, but spending every Saturday at the dealer trying to get them to reproduce issues is not. I really loved that car when it wasn’t leaking coolant, leaking water into the cabin, stretching subframe bolts, etc. I couldn’t recommend VW to anyone even though the GTI is a superb car.

Current DD is a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road. While manual is available, they are very difficult to find in certain regions. The closest manual I found was 1100 miles away and my wife was not amused when I suggested that I would fly up to buy it. Ours is an autotragic and it is the worst auomatic transmission I’ve ever driven, by far. It makes me irate daily. Recently my wife has been taking the Tacoma to work and I’ve been driving her 2016 Mazda6 which is also an automatic, but is the best auto I’ve ever driven. Clearly not as involving as the BMW but it is a good driver’s car, comfortable, and relatively inexpensive. The Taco’s shifting bullshit does not seem to bother my wife.

If I wrecked the 1er tomorrow, it would be a 2019 Miata for me, no question. Have nothing but good things to say about Mazda.
That is why i got rid of my brand new 2017 Golf R, it was my first brand new car and saved up 3 years for it. 7km when delivered to me and in the parking lot 2nd gear was grinding, 6 months of visiting the dealership on a monthly basis, for them to say "It is fine", i decided to return the car and got a full refund. They are good cars, but damn when something goes wrong it is a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #70
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I originally mentioned GTI on my list of candidates but you guys are right, warranty issues. My experience with VW's is friends coming over on weekends in the past to use my space and tools to fix their cars. Not normal wear and tear stuff always something interesting and strange, mechanical or electrical. As for owning one they are pretty decent off the lot but I'd have a never ending urge to modify them, something the 1-er didn't make me do. It would indeed be hard to truly consider a GTI.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #71
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
For me it would have to be a GT3 in Oak Green Metallic or the GT4.
God damn, that green... good choice sir.
It's my favorite color. Only color I've truly thought about having repainted on the 1er.
      09-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #72
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
For me it would have to be a GT3 in Oak Green Metallic or the GT4.
Yeah, I like that green too. Perfect shade of green for that car imo. The yellow calipers add a nice touch of contrast.
      09-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #73
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
It's my favorite color. Only color I've truly thought about having repainted on the 1er.
I think it would look great on your 1er as well.
      09-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #74
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Nah man. Loads of unsold Focus RS sitting around at big fat discounts. You can easily get test drives...it's a great car to drive...
where? I'm in Nassau and the only dealer that has one is Levittown Ford, and they're a nightmare to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #75
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
That is why i got rid of my brand new 2017 Golf R, it was my first brand new car and saved up 3 years for it. 7km when delivered to me and in the parking lot 2nd gear was grinding, 6 months of visiting the dealership on a monthly basis, for them to say "It is fine", i decided to return the car and got a full refund. They are good cars, but damn when something goes wrong it is a nightmare.
I'm curious, does anyone have actual firsthand knowledge about why VWs have such atrocious reliability? They are some of the best designed cars in the world. Very few cars drive as nicely as a new VW. What gives? My suspicions would be:

1) Poor/sloppy manufacturing procedures (doesn't seem to be the case)
2) Relying on theoretical R&D rather than real world testing (a supplier says this gasket material is rated to 30psi but VW never verified it)
3) Well-engineered parts built with the cheapest possible materials (probably the most likely)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #76
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
I'm curious, does anyone have actual firsthand knowledge about why VWs have such atrocious reliability? They are some of the best designed cars in the world. Very few cars drive as nicely as a new VW. What gives? My suspicions would be:

2) Relying on theoretical R&D rather than real world testing (a supplier says this gasket material is rated to 30psi but VW never verified it)
3) Well-engineered parts built with the cheapest possible materials (probably the most likely)
I don't know. It might be because they suffer from kinda being the Ford of German automakers.

Build quality is fantastic, and the parts feel nicer than a lot of BMW parts, but maybe the nicer parts age out faster. It is interesting.
      09-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #77
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

I flirted with buying a new BRZ before getting my 128i.

If my 128i was ever totaled and I couldn’t find another high quality, low-ish mileage, 6MT, 128i stripper, I’d probably go with a BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #78
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
I flirted with buying a new BRZ before getting my 128i.

If my 128i was ever totaled and I couldn’t find another high quality, low-ish mileage, 6MT, 128i stripper, I’d probably go with a BRZ.
Cramped. Loud. Punishing ride.

I also nearly bought a BRZ instead of the 1, but I couldn't get past the negatives. It's a fantastic weekend car, but I couldn't live with it on a daily basis. I actually had no problem fitting in one and I found it to be comfortable (when parked), but it definitely FELT cramped to me. The main thing I couldn't get over was the noise. It was loud, but in a bad way. I couldn't stand road trips in it, whereas the 1 is great for weekend road trips. I also don't know why manufacturers continue to punish drivers with rides that harsh. The aftermarket coilovers in my last car felt like pillows next to the BRZ. The 1 is proof that you can have a comfortable ride and still corner on rails.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #79
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Nah man. Loads of unsold Focus RS sitting around at big fat discounts. You can easily get test drives...it's a great car to drive...
where? I'm in Nassau and the only dealer that has one is Levittown Ford, and they're a nightmare to deal with.
Smithtown have 3 or 4 sitting around....maybe even 2017s. Lowball em after driving
      09-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #80
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:

My experience was all over the place. My door frames leaked in the rain and they had to be bent (supposedly) according to instructions provided by Germany. My water pump seals failed twice in 75k miles, both times it still worked but leaked coolant on the ground. If you closed the hatch too hard, the reverse light bulbs would pop out. My sunroof pinch sensor broke so you could open it with the switch, but had to use an allen key to close it (found that out when it started to rain one day). At stock power, the front aubframe bolts stretched and had to be replaced with upgraded parts (out of warranty, I fixed it myself and it wasn’t expensive but dumb that it happened with zero mods). My armrest rattled and was replaced under warranty. My “intake manifold flap position sensor” broke and required an entire intake manifold replacement under warranty. My rear window sprayer leaked since day 1. This is all from memory but I’m sure there was more I’m forgetting about. In all, I visited dealerships 14 times for warranty work.

Could be shoddy materials, poor engineering, not enough testing. Maybe just built on a Friday. Who knows? What I do know is the college kid who bought it off me called up a few months later asking for paperwork to prove the water pump was recently replaced so he could get it warranteed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #81
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

All of this is anecdotal; I'd like to see some real data on VW vs. BMW reliability. I don't believe any of it, no less the posts in this thread as being representative of the great mass of VW owners vs. BMW owners.

I've owned several (at least 4) VWs over the years. I don't recall any major problems with any of them. My neighbor across the street has a 1999 VW GTI which she loves and has never told me anything about problems with this vehicle. Another guy in my town has a 6 or 7 year old GTI, which he swears by. He admires my "R" every time he sees it.

BMW owners calling out VW for reliability problems and expensive repairs has the sound of the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm a BMW guy, through and through (or at least I was, before they starting making the kind of cars they are making now). I'm astonished to read BMW people commenting on a BMW forum that VWs are unreliable?

Really? Compared to what? Certainly, when compared to Japanese cars, that's a given. But compared to BMWs? Who you shittin' ?
      09-14-2018, 12:04 AM   #82
CrazyIrishPenguin
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Not to get back on topic or anything but I've been struggling with this very question. I wouldn't touch a VW with a 2 ft poll (never have, never will). I have been enamored with a used last gen Chevy SS (very big). I'd love an Audi RS3 (too expensive). I'm very curious about the future Supra (no manual, basically an M2 that took 2 long). So I don't know. Maybe an M2, maybe if the future M goes hybrid..... I kind of feel stuck, the next thing isn't here yet. I need inspiration and I guarantee it will not be a VW!
      09-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #83
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
All of this is anecdotal; I'd like to see some real data on VW vs. BMW reliability. I don't believe any of it, no less the posts in this thread as being representative of the great mass of VW owners vs. BMW owners.
Agree - my experience doesn't represent anyone but me. Of course not everyone with a VW is running into all the issues I mentioned. But looking at the scope of issues I ran into, it had to be a combination of poor engineering, poor material quality, a lack of testing, and probably a whole lot of just bad luck.

Again, only me, but my BMW had only a couple of minor issues for the first 4 years I owned it and it was 2 years old already when I bought it. Some of that is because the car is simpler (no sunroof, no rear window sprayer) but the car doesn't leak in the ran, light bulbs don't pop out when I close the trunk, just random things that happened to my VW that shouldn't happen to any car, and didn't happen in my BMW. Completely anecdotal.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #84
Gweeper64
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i N51 6mt M-Sport

I just recently got my 128i after looking at lots of things for a long time. Before deciding on the 1er, I had been looking toward the Mini Paceman or Countryman S All4. I also considered the 86 twins and the Audi TT / TTS and of course, the GTI. I'm a long time VW owner. I had my '00 Golf TDI for 16 years. I'm not really sure what will be next, but that is at least two to three years away or more. Maybe an M235i/M240i ? We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #85
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIrishPenguin View Post
Not to get back on topic or anything but I've been struggling with this very question. I wouldn't touch a VW with a 2 ft poll (never have, never will). I have been enamored with a used last gen Chevy SS (very big). I'd love an Audi RS3 (too expensive). I'm very curious about the future Supra (no manual, basically an M2 that took 2 long). So I don't know. Maybe an M2, maybe if the future M goes hybrid..... I kind of feel stuck, the next thing isn't here yet. I need inspiration and I guarantee it will not be a VW!
You like Audi's but not VW's?
      09-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #86
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Like a few others on this thread, I'm all over the shop. Right now, I need 4 seats and don't have the cash to get a car which is more expensive to run than a 135i, so if I wrote my car off today and had to replace it with the insurance payout, I'd step down to someone's pre-modified WRX or a modified Ford Falcon XR6 turbo and keep the change.

If I come into a serious chunk of change, really the only 4-seater I'd be excited to swap into would be a 911 Carrera.

If I didn't need 4 seats I'd step straight into a Miata or Lotus Elise (depending on cashflow).

When my son turns 18 (still a few years to go yet), he'll be getting a NA Series Miata for his birthday, so in all likelihood, that'll be my next car.

Yeah, after owning a 911 and Cayman, I was forced to go real 4 seater this past year (911 back seats barely count,) and the 1er was the only thing I could come up with that ticked all the boxes. If the 1M wasn’t already trading at collector prices, I would have gone that route, but a 135i with some mods made more sense in a car I’ll actually be using.

For me, if you don’t need a backseat or real trunk, 911/Cayman is always the answer. If you do, I’d still pick a 1er every time. If forced to go new, I guess I’d go M2, but I’d still prefer a 1er.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #87
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I already have a MK7 GTI, so if I got rid of my 1er I wouldn't get anything else and drive the GTI till it turns to swiss cheese on wheels!

After that probably a 997 C2S, since from here on out everything is turning electric, automatic and boring. But that's talking 20+ years from now!
      09-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #88
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I originally mentioned GTI on my list of candidates but you guys are right, warranty issues. My experience with VW's is friends coming over on weekends in the past to use my space and tools to fix their cars. Not normal wear and tear stuff always something interesting and strange, mechanical or electrical. As for owning one they are pretty decent off the lot but I'd have a never ending urge to modify them, something the 1-er didn't make me do. It would indeed be hard to truly consider a GTI.
The new Hyundai i30N is really something competitive now.

I driven many of them as a student back in early 2000's when my 944 turbo needed repairs, thrashed the living daylights out of them and they kept going. They may had been "cheap quality" cars, but mechanically faultless.

The new i30N, as far as i know, has been rigorously tested, redlining the engine for 300,000 kms and survived just fine and everything is within specs. It would be a ton cheaper to own and maintain that i30N and more reliable than any VW today.
Appreciate 0