BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
westie135
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6spd SGM

Adaptive Headlight Calibration/Reset

I've read through loads of threads about adaptive headlights and their various issues, but I haven't seen anything related to the issue I'm having that had a resolution, so it's time for a post.

TL;DR: I have a new adaptive headlight that had the projector cocked aiming out when I installed it, and I want to know if there's any way to run the motors through their paces to center it up. Either INPA or ISTA, or maybe even Tool32, which I have never used.

So a couple weeks back I installed a set of Euro headlights that I had shipped all the way from Latvia. The left hand one had some damage on the outermost corner (couldn't return them, stupidly) but otherwise seemed intact (anything is better than my original lights with all but one bracket snapped off). Leveling on both of them functions, and the adaptive functions of the right hand light work perfectly. The left hand, however, is cocked ever so slightly outwards and does not turn with the wheel. This is not a basic aiming issue, since it's rotated far enough that trying to aim it would probably wind the adjuster past its limits.

I only occasionally get the adaptive light error on the dash. Pulling codes points to loss of communication with the left hand adaptive servo.

The first step was recoding both SMC modules. No change, which didn't really surprise me. I have yet to try the FRM, since I would have to go through it and code out all my brake light checks again (all LED bulbs). Plus I've read that the SMC modules play a bigger role.

I checked through INPA and could not find anything related to testing the servo motors. I also downloaded ISTA and couldn't find anything. Not even a Lights category under Body in the Service Function menu.

The last thing I did was plug in the old lights to see how they would respond. Normal behavior. I opened the right hand light and pushed the projector so it was aimed outwards. Every time I tried this, it would recenter when I turned on the ignition. I did the same to the left hand light, but it never centered itself up or moved. I know this light functioned before removing it (apart from all the broken mounting brackets).

I sincerely hope it isn't a case of the adaptive servo being damaged, especially given the original left hand light behaved exactly the same while troubleshooting. Is there a way to manually run both the leveling and adaptive motors through their full range in one of the BMW tools in order to determine this for sure? All else fails, I guess I have the old light to use as a donor, but I'm not thrilled at the prospect of attempting to open a permaseal headlight. The car is at an indie shop right now, since I'm away for work and had a short list of things for them to do (general inspection, gear oil, possible brake job, CDV delete, basically anything I don't have the lift or the patience to do).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

ISTA/D
Vehicle Management --> Function Structure --> Body --> Lighting --> Adaptive Headlight Beam Throw Adjustment --> FTD Adaptive Headlights

That is a big section explaining a lot about how they work and the control structure. Should be something you can at least search on.
I don't know where in ISTA the testing is for the headlights. I do know I'd found it in INPA, by accident.
Appreciate 0