BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Manual vs. Power Adjustable Seats

I've searched the forum and need some clarity on manual vs. power adjustable seats - especially from 1M owners:
  1. Is there a "quick release" way to let people into the back seat with manual seats?
  2. Is there a "quick release" way to let people into the back seat with power seats?
  3. Are the manual seats height-adjustable?
  4. If the manual seats are not height-adjustable, will visibility be an issue for my 5'1" wife?
I see pros and cons to both options. I do intend to drive on a track w/ helmet from time to time, but I'm only 5'10", so I don't need the extra headroom manual seats provide. From reading the forums, I understand the weight difference isn't huge (I'm not good enough on the track for it to matter).

I do intend to use the back seat for kids - so easy and quick access to the back seat is important.

My wife will drive the car - so the memory settings for seats and mirrors is pretty compelling, too.

If the power seats had a "quick release" function for easy access to the back seat, it would be an easy decision.

Please help me with my questions 1-4 above. Any extra input/advice is also appreciated. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

1. Yes
2. Not sure but I dont think so.
3. Yes
4. N/A

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I've searched the forum and need some clarity on manual vs. power adjustable seats - especially from 1M owners:
  1. Is there a "quick release" way to let people into the back seat with manual seats?
Yes there is - the "Convenient Entry" with memory return is a feature of both the manual and power seats. The manual seats are faster, all you do is grab and pull whereas the electric seats require a few seconds while the motor cranks.
  1. Is there a "quick release" way to let people into the back seat with power seats?
see note above.
  1. Are the manual seats height-adjustable?
Yes, all adjustments are the same except one, the manual seats do not have the lumbar adjustment. The manual seat adjustments include Longitudinal Direction, Height, Backrest Angle, Tilt, Backrest Width and Thigh Support. Some have noticed that the manual seats can be adjusted to sit lower to the floor.
  1. If the manual seats are not height-adjustable, will visibility be an issue for my 5'1" wife?
This should not be a problem at all.

I see pros and cons to both options. I do intend to drive on a track w/ helmet from time to time, but I'm only 5'10", so I don't need the extra headroom manual seats provide. From reading the forums, I understand the weight difference isn't huge (I'm not good enough on the track for it to matter).

I do intend to use the back seat for kids - so easy and quick access to the back seat is important.

My wife will drive the car - so the memory settings for seats and mirrors is pretty compelling, too.

If the power seats had a "quick release" function for easy access to the back seat, it would be an easy decision.

Please help me with my questions 1-4 above. Any extra input/advice is also appreciated. Thanks!!
See answers above.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lester; 08-31-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupé

Quote:
  2. Is there a "quick release" way to let people into the back seat with power seats?
  3. Are the manual seats height-adjustable?
  4. If the manual seats are not height-adjustable, will visibility be an issue for my 5'1" wife?

Since I have the manual seats I can only answer for them.
1. Yes there is a "quick release" for access to the back seat, meaning they fold forward at the same time as they slide forward.
3. Yes the manual seats are height adjustable.
FYI the power seats have one set back I know of, and the main reason I chose not to add this option; you sit too high in them ie. they cant be lowered as deep as the manual.

Regards,
1MCoupe (also LDS)
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      08-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It is important to do what the diagram shows and pull the handle on the top of the seat first and tilt it first and then slide it. If you do it that way, it will go back to where it was. If you reach up under the seat cushion and slide it forward first, there is no memory and you have to readjust the seat.

Another tidbit is that the height doesn't go straight up and down. This might help your wife. If you adjust it up, it also pivots closer to the steering wheel. If you are real lucky, you might be able to switch between drivers with the one adjustment. The steering wheel also tilts and has a little in and out.

Jim
      08-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Oh crap. I'm 6'2". I hope I fit...I got the powered ones because I needed the lumbar support.
      08-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
Oh crap. I'm 6'2". I hope I fit...I got the powered ones because I needed the lumbar support.
You'll fit without a helmet just fine.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
You should talk to HondaGoneRogue. He's 6'8" and has the power seats. It sounds like he runs race seats for the track, though. Check out this thread.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567031

You should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the all the great responses. Especially for the pictures and instructions, Lester.

This is a terrific forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Cool, thx. I went to the Chicago auto show and sat in it, but I can't remember if that one had manual or power seats (duh!). I don't plan on tracking this one anyway.
      08-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Thanks for the all the great responses. Especially for the pictures and instructions, Lester.

This is a terrific forum.
I got the manual seats for weight savings and because it is my daily driver and have two kids that I take to school every morning.

If you use the back seat every day, I found the motorized seat annoyingly slow to return to position. I actually went to the dealer and found a 1 series with sport manual seats and one with electric and tried it out with both kids and the wife.

We all preferred the manual seats.

I will miss the memory on the power seats, but after trying it first-hand, manual was for me.

Go Aztecs!

///SDSU
Appreciate 0