BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Please Help Fund My Crowdfunding Campaign

My 1M, which has spent almost all of the last 6-7 months on a car lift in my garage (during the winter), is out of hibernation. I am driving to the "big city" today, and tomorrow it goes into the dealer for an oil change and evaporator replacement. It's had a foul odor inside since late summer, just before I put it to bed and not coincidentally, this reduced my usage of the car from late summer onwards last year.

Contemplating the $3500 to $4000 repair bill that awaits me, I have decided to open a Kickstarter campaign under the "charitable" category.

Please have a look and if you have a charitable nature, I would appreciate contributions of whatever size.

06-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Donated. Quid pro quo, Clarice...
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      06-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Maybe I should start a crowdfunding campaign to buy you poor abused 1M...
      06-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I am pleased to report that the crowdfunding campaign, although not entirely successful, raised enough money for a burger on the way back from the dealership.

They must have taken pity on me; although the evaporator was replaced, the total bill for that was "only" about $2300, including the tax. I think that our labor rates in Idaho are a lot less than in some coastal states, which helped a lot.

The small amount of undercarriage rust that I had not previously treated (from the car's first 3 years in Ontario) was treated with Corroseal by my tech at the same visit. My tech inspected in areas I could not see with a boroscope on my last visit and requested that I bring the product in that I had used on the other superficial rust that I had already treated. He reported that the prior treatment I had done was holding fine, and that there was no rust of any concern at all on the car at this point. It obviously helps that the 1M is a summer car for me, and lives on a lift in my garage during the winter months.
      06-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

OK, without any intention to be rude, and I'm glad your repair costs were reduced, great bonus, but I'm blown away that someone donated enough for a burger to be honest.

Can't say I took the campaign remotely serious when I read it, obviously now this was not Tom Foolery.

But I'm interested in what kind of message you took away from not being able to raise what was needed with your crowd funding. Genuinely interested.

Glad another 1M has been tidied up.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I like your sense of humor
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
OK, without any intention to be rude, and I'm glad your repair costs were reduced, great bonus, but I'm blown away that someone donated enough for a burger to be honest.

Can't say I took the campaign remotely serious when I read it, obviously now this was not Tom Foolery.

But I'm interested in what kind of message you took away from not being able to raise what was needed with your crowd funding. Genuinely interested.

Glad another 1M has been tidied up.
I didn't crowd fund this; it was a joke :-)
      06-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #8
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

;
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I didn't crowd fund this; it was a joke :-)
thought we could keep this going....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
My 1M, which has spent almost all of the last 6-7 months on a car lift in my garage (during the winter), is out of hibernation. I am driving to the "big city" today, and tomorrow it goes into the dealer for an oil change and evaporator replacement. It's had a foul odor inside since late summer, just before I put it to bed and not coincidentally, this reduced my usage of the car from late summer onwards last year.

Contemplating the $3500 to $4000 repair bill that awaits me, I have decided to open a Kickstarter campaign under the "charitable" category.

Please have a look and if you have a charitable nature, I would appreciate contributions of whatever size.

Crowdfunded to glory!!! Hahaha
      09-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Hey champignon and other forum friends, I'm pretty sure I'm also going to need a new evaporator for my 1M. I'm in Salt Lake City and I like my service advisor and the shop foreman. I also have an independent shop I like (the guy is a former BMW tech for many years and a 1M owner).

I want whoever does this to diagnose it properly before we jump right to the evaporator. I think the first step is a full discharge, recharge, and leak test of the system.

If it ends up being the evaporator, we're talking full dash removal, so I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing while they're in there. Besides possibly replacing some trim pieces that show minor cosmetic imperfections, I wonder if it's worth having any other a/c system or other components replaced or checked out.

For the uninitiated, this is what we're talking about. I only want to do this once, so is there anything else I should be thinking about?

I'm obviously worried about broken clips and fasteners, damage to trim pieces, poorly-routed cables, squeaks and rattles, and everything else that could go wrong if the job isn't done with a lot of care. Ugh.

Any advice?

Last edited by ///BYU; 10-01-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Hey champignon and other forum friends, I'm pretty sure I'm also going to need a new evaporator for my 1M. I'm in Salt Lake City and I like my service advisor and the shop foreman. I also have an independent shop I like (the guy is a former BMW tech for many years and a 1M owner).

I want whoever does this to diagnose it properly before we jump right to the evaporator. I think the first step is a full discharge, recharge, and leak test of the system.

If it ends up being the evaporator, we're talking full dash removal, so I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing while they're in there. Besides possibly replacing some trim pieces that show minor cosmetic imperfections, I wonder if it's worth having any other a/c system or other components replaced or checked out.

For the uninitiated, this is what we're talking about. I only want to do this once, so is there anything else I should be thinking about?

I'm obviously worried about broken clips and fasteners, damage to trim pieces, poorly-routed cables, squeaks and rattles, and everything else that could go wrong if the job isn't done with a lot of care. Ugh.

Any advice?
Your image isn't showing right now, by the way.

I don't think that this is brain surgery; my understanding is that there is one other situation or defect that can produce the foul odor that you get from a leaking evaporator. Someone else in one of these forums reported having that problem. Otherwise, it is the evaporator. It's a very common problem with this vintage of BMW sedans, not unique to the 1M.

If your mechanic knows what he is doing, then the repair should be made without producing other problems or visual defects.
      10-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Your image isn't showing right now, by the way.

I don't think that this is brain surgery; my understanding is that there is one other situation or defect that can produce the foul odor that you get from a leaking evaporator. Someone else in one of these forums reported having that problem. Otherwise, it is the evaporator. It's a very common problem with this vintage of BMW sedans, not unique to the 1M.

If your mechanic knows what he is doing, then the repair should be made without producing other problems or visual defects.
Just to jump in quickly and then disappear, I believe the two common causes for foul odor on our cars is a leaking evap, or a clogged drainage line. Dack started a thread a while back on cleaning the same with some Sonax Klima Kare Plus product (or something like that) in Germany, thread continued on and I believe the clogged line was discussed. I think that thread might be a sticky somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I think I fixed the photo. It was showing for me the whole time, but now I think everyone should be able to see it.

Thanks for the replies. Here's the thread from Dack in case it's helpful to anyone else: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739013
Appreciate 0