BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep
Drives: 435i

Best Driving Road in the SF Bay Area?

Yesterday, I was doing a little bit of planning for my European Delivery and trying to figure out what cities I would like to visit and which route I would be taking. I thought of all the great roads and I remembered the episode of Top Gear when they tried to find the best driving road in the world.

Top Gear: World's Best Driving Road
Part #1
Part #2
Part #3
Part #4

It got me thinking, when I get my car back here in the states, am I going to spend all my time stuck in traffic on the Nimitz after going through Stelvio Pass? No way!

So I'm on a mission to find the best driving road in the bay area. IMO, it would have to be one with fairly little traffic to keep from ruining the fun. I personally wouldn't be interested in too much straights and would think that the twisties are the best place to be. Thus far, the best road I have found is in the East Bay on Redwood Rd from Castro Valley up along the San Leandro Reservoir into the Oakland Hills and onto Skyline Blvd. While this is a great road, it's one of the few great roads that I have been on and it can't be the only one.

What is the best driving road in the bay area?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

I like Page Mill, Mt Hamilton Rd, Calaveras, the roads behind Danville and Livermore, too many to name.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
I like Page Mill, Mt Hamilton Rd, Calaveras, the roads behind Danville and Livermore, too many to name.
But which is "the best"?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Page Mill and Skyline is in the top 10 drives for sure. I drove the Page Mill up from Palo alto where I lived to Skyline at the top for 15 years almost every weekend. The Page Mill portion is very tight and slower, then the Skyline is more higher speed sweeping turns. Both are sweet drives, but I almost died a couple times.. This was like 15 years ago when I was young and reckless. In 76 corolla, 77 celica GT, 68 charger... all modded out.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

1 on Marin.
      08-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerDreamer View Post
But which is "the best"?
That is an impossible question to answer.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
I like Calaveras
I mentioned Calaveras road last weekend and you said "that road is fucking suicide." Changed your mind Jewpac? :biggrin: (I love that road)

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
I mentioned Calaveras road last weekend and you said "that road is fucking suicide." Changed your mind Jewpac? :biggrin: (I love that road)
It is suicide, but it sure is fun.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
That is an impossible question to answer.
Maybe I should rephrase my question. If it was a nice sunny day and you wanted to go for a spirited drive but could only choose one of those roads you mentioned, which one would you drive and why?

I mentioned Redwood Rd. because each time I have driven it, there has been little to no traffic on it. It also has some great twists. Some of the corners are so hard that you nearly need to shift into first gear.

This is a route that I used to take every once in a while back when I was in high school that was close to my parents house. On my first day of behind the wheel driver training, my instructor took me along this route. Talk about trial by fire.

I still prefer Redwood Rd. because it's a little less scary. The route I used to run in high school has quite a few blind corners with no guard rail. There are also stretches where only one car can comfortably fit on the road at a time. If you run into on coming traffic, its a really tight squeeze to get by.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

I could choose any of them, there are way too many roads to choose one.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0