BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Rakony
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M 2012

Exclamation BMW 1M Vs 2012 Mustang GT Vs 2012 Chevy Camaro

I have some good news and some sad news.....

Last night we had a drag race (All 3 cars) Rolling from 40 km/h to up to 240 km /h

The Camaro SS (Auto Transmission) was way behind both the 1M and the Mustang GT 5.0 (Manual) by far.

But surprisingly , the Mustang was ahead of the 1m by a distance of 2 to 3 cars which was shocking !!!

I know the new Mustang GT 5.0 is 414 HP but never expected it to outperform the 1M ....

The owner of the Mustang claims his car is stock (not modified) could this be true ?

what do you guys think ???
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Beemw1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 335 MPPK

Hmm, a 5.0 V8 with almost 100 more horse power. Are you surprised?? Of course the mustang would most likely get spanked by the M3, a car that is in its ballpark
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
IMO, to me a drag race is only one part of testing that shows a car's performance. Not all cars were made to only go fast down a straight line. This MY(2011-2012) Mustang has by far been the closest matched to an ///M car, specifically the ///M3, but the ///M3 still maintains it's status as one of the best handling cars for it's overall abilities.

Next time take him on in a circuit track. I bet you that the outcome will be different.
      02-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List

Fun is not a straight line!
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Firthy247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M & 996 x50 turbo

Simple tune and you'll kill him?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Not sure why you would expect to win a drag race with a '12 Mustang GT?

Yes the 1M out performs the Mustang but performance isn't a drag race, there is so much more to it then that.

Its like saying the best hockey (maybe football in your case)player is the person that can skate the fastest, doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't handle the puck.

I think you've been drinking too much of the koolaid!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by comar1979 View Post

Fun is not a straight line!
What a awesome response!!!

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I race a fully modded mustang 5.0 gt once with my 135i last year and once with my 1m this year both different cars but both had tunes with exhausts.

I had the jb4 in my 1m which wasnt even working right mids and just and intake. We went from a dig and i was about 3-4 cars ahead of him. From a roll close to the same result. The same night i also raced and sti with my m/// and he tricked me into racing from a dig when he had a two step. I lost traction seriously but only fell behind by a car. This sti had to have a turbokit, or cams and injectors bc this thing was loud. But from a 40 roll he lost 3 times by 2 cars and that sti wasnt slow
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakony
I have some good news and some sad news.....

Last night we had a drag race (All 3 cars) Rolling from 40 km/h to up to 240 km /h

The Camaro SS (Auto Transmission) was way behind both the 1M and the Mustang GT 5.0 (Manual) by far.

But surprisingly , the Mustang was ahead of the 1m by a distance of 2 to 3 cars which was shocking !!!

I know the new Mustang GT 5.0 is 414 HP but never expected it to outperform the 1M ....

The owner of the Mustang claims his car is stock (not modified) could this be true ?

what do you guys think ???
What do I think? I think street racing is dangerous and then coming here to talk about is against most forum rules. What do I think about the race? A rolling start with these 3 cars would be very close, I have a hard time believing any one car would be "way" ahead of another as you mentioned, whatever "way" ahead means.
      02-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep

Okay we all know street racing is dangerous and illegal but it gets a little annoying when people constantly have to try to bash other people for things they do as well . We all have gone over the speed limit and we dont need people to throw out their opinions at every turn. If you have gone over the speed limit you have been just as dangerous as a 3 way straight line race that probably went from 40-100 mph
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

The Mustang is an ergonomic disaster IMO. Poor outward visibility, low budget interior with claustrophobia-inducing low roofline, average steering, and not pleasing to drive, so as far as I'm concerned, Mustang is not an option, regardless of power.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I think some of you guys will be surprised just how well those new 5.0s handle in a track as well.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation Warning! Faulty Logic in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
..... it gets a little annoying when people constantly have to try to bash other people for things they do as well . We all have gone over the speed limit and we dont need people to throw out their opinions at every turn. If you have gone over the speed limit you have been just as dangerous as a 3 way straight line race that probably went from 40-100 mph
What's even more annoying and quite frightening, is when someone says going over the posted speed limit is "just as dangerous" as a 3way race.

Here is how a 2way race ended from your neck of the woods(NJ):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=46
      02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hmm well i dont think its very nice or mature to post something like that we all know we take risks. Its scary how someone can sit here all day and be a debbie downer and post things like they have just because someone wanted insight on why he lost to a mustang. If you really want to put out data i bet you could argue that out of 100% of street races maybe 5% have bad endings. So there is no justification for your arguement if you really want to pull out the data. Yes it is tragic and im tired of people bashing other people. Its kind of hypocritical how people sit up here and try to bash other people for not driving on the track. Were all enthusiasts and we all have pushed our cars before. Its kind of sad that you have no sympathy to repost something like that just because you came up on a random post to give us you opinion on street racing. Start your own thread then because not many people feel like here the same boring comments over and over again bashing other people when your really just as bad as others. If you can tell me you have never pushed your car on the street with someone else thats like not having sex until your married, please grow up.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep

Please go somewhere else this is a forum your not the police
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider
Hmm well i dont think its very nice or mature to post something like that we all know we take risks. Its scary how someone can sit here all day and be a debbie downer and post things like they have just because someone wanted insight on why he lost to a mustang. If you really want to put out data i bet you could argue that out of 100% of street races maybe 5% have bad endings. So there is no justification for your arguement if you really want to pull out the data. Yes it is tragic and im tired of people bashing other people. Its kind of hypocritical how people sit up here and try to bash other people for not driving on the track. Were all enthusiasts and we all have pushed our cars before. Its kind of sad that you have no sympathy to repost something like that just because you came up on a random post to give us you opinion on street racing. Start your own thread then because not many people feel like here the same boring comments over and over again bashing other people when your really just as bad as others. If you can tell me you have never pushed your car on the street with someone else thats like not having sex until your married, please grow up.
Look up irony, I think everything you have written and then telling me to grow up is a great example, lmao!
      02-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I think in a straight-line race with such cars as contestants, many factors will determine the outcome. There is the obvious power-to-weight ratio, and there is also peak power and how long it is held for. Of the 3, the 1M is the one with the least HP, but it is also the lightest, and it is also the one that starts to churn out good power the soonest (thanks to its low end power delivery). So 400+hp doesn't necessarily dictate a win if that number is only achieved up high in the rpm band and only for a split second; in the case of a rolling race, however, the high HP numbers and aerodynamics begin to play more important roles, specially as the speeds get high in the triple digits.

First pick your purpose, then pick the car for that purpose. I did not buy my 1M to drag race mustangs and/or camaros.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ha, seems funny to me that you actually asked me to look up the definition of irony. Also yes its very ironic that a person is actually trying to start an argument and bestow on us his opinion when your opinion will never do any justice. Your not going to move anyone to stop street racing, what do you think just because of your forum quote and your bashing of a good person make you change the world? Please grow up and leave people alone ive seen many post of you up here with your opinion when no one cares. Your 2 cents of checking out a post of street racing to bash it is going to do nothing. I cant believe im talking to a person who could tell me honestly that they have never raced a friend. Its pretty ironic that you can bash others when you do it yourself. Hows that use of ironic for you?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I think some of you guys will be surprised just how well those new 5.0s handle in a track as well.

Seems some choose to ignore the attributes the Mustang possesses for track work(with turns) with much supporting data.
Tough for some to admit, the Ford is a powerful track weapon to be reckoned with and more than a one trick pony.
Head in the sand syndrome. lol.

Last edited by NYC6; 02-12-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
This sti had to have a turbokit, or cams and injectors bc this thing was loud. But from a 40 roll he lost 3 times by 2 cars and that sti wasnt slow
What year was the STi? Also, just because a Subaru is loud, does not mean it has Cams and Injectors. My '08 WRX basically had straight pipes and a tune and you could hear it 2 miles away but was only putting down 250 WHP.

A Stage 2 STi tuned with a conservative custom map (19 PSi) will put down nearly 330 WTQ. That combined with a good launch, decent driver and well setup suspension will give the 1M a run for its money on the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
coryd
Rep
Drives: Muni

I'm surprised so many people are underestimating the new Mustang GT. I've seen several comparisons to the M3 and despite its live rear axle, the Mustang is very capable on the track. You're obviously going to get a lot more luxury, technology, and overall sexiness with the M3, but at the moment it's hard to get more performance for your money than current-gen GT.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #22
TEAM SLO
Slo'est E90 around
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i gone, 2011 335IX e90 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Seems some choose to ignore the attributes the Mustang possesses for track work(with turns) with much supporting data.
Tough for some to admit, the Ford is a powerful track weapon to be reckoned with and more than a one trick pony.
Head in the sand syndrome. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryd View Post
I'm surprised so many people are underestimating the new Mustang GT. I've seen several comparisons to the M3 and despite its live rear axle, the Mustang is very capable on the track. You're obviously going to get a lot more luxury, technology, and overall sexiness with the M3, but at the moment it's hard to get more performance for your money than current-gen GT.
You guys all beat me to this. My 03' Cobra back in the day surprised all the STI's and EVO's at an Autocross in Florida. Didn't win, but more than held it's own.

The new Mustang, I saw one comparison at the track where it edged out the 370Z. For having a LRAxle, man this new car is something a bit different from what they have put out in the past.
Appreciate 0