BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-26-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

weird tick at idle

I noticed this weird tick at idle and with the engine warm, it sounds like a solenoid going on and off. The sound goes away with the slightest touch of the gas. It sound's mostly from underneath the intake manifold, car runs good, smooth idle no codes or anything, 55k on the engine.

https://youtu.be/AoJBA9d-T8Q
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
bump
Is it N51/N52 or N55/54?

What work has been done recently if any?

Do you have any mods?

do you have an obd scanner? If so any codes?

I honesty have no idea but I think more info might help.

Try another video with the hood open, because when it's just facing the inner fender you can't get an idea where and would it could be. You just hear the noise coming from straight ahead (where the engine is).

My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Is it N51/N52 or N55/54?

What work has been done recently if any?

Do you have any mods?

do you have an obd scanner? If so any codes?

I honesty have no idea but I think more info might help.

Try another video with the hood open, because when it's just facing the inner fender you can't get an idea where and would it could be. You just hear the noise coming from straight ahead (where the engine is).

My two cents.
sorry for the lack of info. 128i, N52 no mods all stock. I tried under the hood, wasn't able to take a good video. I'll try again.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Try with the car in park (if auto), when the engine is warm, hold it at around 2k rpm for 30 seconds and see if the sound returns after
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Try with the car in park (if auto), when the engine is warm, hold it at around 2k rpm for 30 seconds and see if the sound returns after
Thx, it's automatic. I'll try it and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Thx, it's automatic. I'll try it and let you know.
probably this? it's a known issue

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320299
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Definitely not a lifter tick. It's very random, doesn't sound like it's coming from the valve train.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely not a lifter tick. It's very random, doesn't sound like it's coming from the valve train.
From the video it doesn't sound like the lifter tick, my car was doing it when I used 0w30 and it was very warm outside. And when I say it doesn't sound like the lifter tick I really mean the frequency of the tick is not fast enough this sounds like it's significantly slower than when my car was doing the lifter tick.

Is possible that it's coming from a belt or pulley?

You're saying it from the right side of engine (intake side whatever) but I can't think of any other moving parts that would make that kind of sound 🤔

Did you manage to get the video of the hood open?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From the video it doesn't sound like the lifter tick, my car was doing it when I used 0w30 and it was very warm outside. And when I say it doesn't sound like the lifter tick I really mean the frequency of the tick is not fast enough this sounds like it's significantly slower than when my car was doing the lifter tick.

Is possible that it's coming from a belt or pulley?

You're saying it from the right side of engine (intake side whatever) but I can't think of any other moving parts that would make that kind of sound 🤔

Did you manage to get the video of the hood open?
It sounds like maybe a stuck Disa flap or something along those lines. Something hitting and continually trying over and over. Haven't taken the video yet, I'll try tonight.

I haven't looked deep into this, maybe in the spring when it's warmer, I'll take the bottom pan off and chase it down.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Hmm, probably related to the evap purge solenoid valve, which is located underneath the throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Hmm, probably related to the evap purge solenoid valve, which is located underneath the throttle body.
Hey mighty

When does the evap purge solenoid open?

Is it based on a temp or pressure?

Is it possible that OP could be low on coolant which is why it's making thar noise or completely irrelevant?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Hey mighty

When does the evap purge solenoid open?

Is it based on a temp or pressure?

Is it possible that OP could be low on coolant which is why it's making thar noise or completely irrelevant?
Should not be related to coolant. The valve will be on a duty cycle, and will be open on a low duty cycle at idle when warm, and longer duty cycle at highway cruise. Could make all sorts of weird noises if broken though. Just realized OP has an N52, could also be the "throttle body". I say that because it's not really a throttle, more a back up for a failed valvetronic system. Those are the only two things in that area. Put a stethoscope on both and it should be obvious.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #14
Bankrupt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i m-sport

I have the same or very similar tick and for me it's from the auto trans oil cooler lines.

There's a post on E90 here talking about the same thing -https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093917

Poster there who has had it a long time seems to think there's no issues caused. I plan on doing a coolant flush and the trans oil in future so will see if that has any effect.
Appreciate 0