BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
kadA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Walbro 450 lpfp help

hello everyone. i have a 135i n54 that just crossed the 150k mark. i have owned this car for about 20k miles and bought the car with all the power modes already installed. the car has had a Walbro 450 in it for about 65-70k miles. over the past 4 weeks i have been having a problem. It started when i was sitting in a parking lot before school and i had a fuel pump malfunction code come up on my screen. i had to go to in so i didnt pull codes tell about 5 hours later and there was nothing. i checked the codes a few day later and had a fuel pump plausibility. about 2 weeks later i was sitting at the store and the car just shut off. i tried to turn it back on and it stuttered then died. I look in the engine bay for a boost leak and saw nothing so i tired to start it again and all ways well. i didnt think much of it then it did it twice more and the 3rd time i was outside the car and had a friend start it after letting it sit for 5ish minutes and fuel spit out the back. i made the choice and was going to take it to a local shop because i was stumped on what it was because the code could be so many things. On the way to school the next morning it died on the highway while in traffic and did not start up again. got it towed home and did some more digging and landed on it being that the lpfp went out. i ordered another Walbro 450 because im lazy and did not want to get it re tuned. apologize for the very long run up to my real question but since it had the same fuel pump in it i should be able to just drop it in and all should be well right?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Yep, it's a 1:1 replacement for a part that, at this point in time, has already been addressed in your tune. It's a non-native part, so does not need to be "coded" to the car like, say, any of a dozen other replacement BMW parts would.

Have you logged anything to correlate with your parts replacement? Sounds right, but logs would verify the low values from your LPFP
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Should be 1:1 unless it's a Fuel-It kit. That dipshit Dave cuts the nipple off and threads it.
If that's what you run into then this is the pump fitting you'll want --> https://precisionraceworks.com/produ...r-walbro-pumps
Appreciate 1
1and11856.50
      11-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Does it run now after getting it towed home?

If it does, Its more likely that the EKP module is giving out. The Walbro pump pulls more current and puts more stress on the module. In turn it gets very hot and overheats and then turns itself off until it cools, thus turning off the pump. It's apparent that this is the issue if it dies but will restart some time later (10 mins) and runs fine until it overheats again.

You can pull the back seat and rear passenger bolster and see how hot that sucker gets. You can also pull the black cover off the module and use a fan to keep it cool while driving to see that it doesn't die.

Pretty common issue. Mine does the same thing so I added a cooling fan which many people have done. Sounds like you need to replace the module anyways, and then probably add some cooling for good measure. EKPM3 is a common upgrade if you have an EKPM2.
Appreciate 0