BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #23
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Small update.... I got the 20mm spacers on and still heard a nasty rubbing sound. So, I decided to check the alignment. Turns out I was a full inch of toe-in on the front. The rubbing sound wasn't on the spring, but the tires rubbing on the ground from the excessive toe-in. I did a rough alignment to get closer to 0 toe on both axles and the rubbing sound went away.

Drove the car a bit and it feels really good. I'm still going to swap the springs to 1" shorter so I have a little more inner clearance to account for sidewall flex when cornering. I also have a suspected wheel bearing noise I need to hunt down.

Additionally, I ordered PFC 08 front and 332 rear brake pads as well as Brembo blank rotors for all 4 corners. Signed up for a track day on 11/26 so need to get everything wrapped up.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #24
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

No real updates but here's a pic of the car back together:

Appreciate 7
      11-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #25
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Installed my M-Sport rear bumper yesterday.

I really got lucky finding both a front and rear bumper within driving distance and already in Alpine White.

Appreciate 3
      12-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #26
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got the car out on the track. It ran really well. The suspension and brakes felt great to me. I was only driving at maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10 to get a feel for it, but I'm really pleased with how it came out.

Next on the list is some basic power mods (catless headers, tune, etc) and then probably an M3 steering rack. My wallet needs to take a break though, so probably will not make any changes until after the holidays.

Appreciate 2
      12-10-2021, 01:46 AM   #27
cdavis93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Love the work, keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Finally got the car out on the track. It ran really well. The suspension and brakes felt great to me. I was only driving at maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10 to get a feel for it, but I'm really pleased with how it came out.
Appreciate 1
wootloops353.50
      12-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #28
betadoc
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

Next on the list is some basic power mods (catless headers, tune, etc) and then probably an M3 steering rack. My wallet needs to take a break though, so probably will not make any changes until after the holidays.

New to the forums and appreciate this content from your project. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #29
friksson@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: BMW E8X

Nice job, car looks great!
Appreciate 1
wootloops353.50
      01-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #30
DRKNESSAudiDad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Looking forward to more photos.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #31
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Damn need to do the window trim in black (I do too lol)
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:06 PM   #32
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

A couple of updates:

First small update is that I finally got rid of the ugly roof trim with the peeling black vinyl wrap. This was left over from then the previous owner had the whole roof wrapped black, but I just never got around to peeling the vinyl off. It was too brittle and kept breaking so I decided to wait to find white trim. My buddy found a set at the junkyard and grabbed them for me.

Before vs After:

And I also got a new seat. It's a Sparco QRT-C (Carbon). This means I can put the Recaro Pole Position back in my E92 M3 (which had been seatless for over a month).

This seat feels great, it's comfortable but still has plenty of bolstering. It fit in with no issue using the Sparco base + slider + side mount combo. The seat belt receptacle routing is not ideal, since I have to go over the seat on one side. However, the lap belt still gets tight enough (thanks, beer gut) so I think it will work for now. I'll eventually get a roll bar and proper harnesses anyway.

Will be taking it to another track day @ PBIR on 1/6.

Bonus pic of the car from today:

Last edited by wootloops; 01-04-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2022, 07:31 PM   #33
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

The next update isn't as exciting.. it was actually extremely frustrating to deal with, so I wasn't as eager to post about it. The good news is that everything's fixed now, and in better shape than before.

It started out with another track night at PBIR. This time I was with a couple of other forum members (M3post/E90post), tdott and Biginboca.

Right as I was about to start my first session of the night, the check engine light came on. Scanned it and got 2A87, which indicates an issue with the exhaust side VANOS function. Engine seemed OK. We cleared the code, and I was able to get in a couple of laps before it came back on again so I decided to end my session early. At this point we started to hear a little bit of noise from the engine, so I called it an early night.

As many of you know, the 2011 N52 is notorious for having defective VANOS bolts. Apparently this car had that issue and it was never addressed during the 10 year extended warranty recall period from BMW. So, I ordered all new VANOS bolts, a new valve cover + gaskets, and MILVS. Figured if I had to take the VC off, I might as well get all of that done in one shot.

The VANOS bolts I removed (One snapped off during removal, the rest were just in bad shape and partially backed out, not even finger tight):

In the process of taking off the valve cover, one of the bolts snapped off. I thought, no problem... I'll get it out with an extractor. Well, after fighting with multiple drill bits and extractors, the extractor also broke off inside the broken bolt. What should have been a one day job turned into a multi weekend ordeal...

First I tried cobalt left-handed bits, which barely made a dent in the broken bolt/extractor combo. Then I moved up to tungsten carbide, which did the trick. I was able to carefully drill it out and re-tap the hole with a helicoil.

Thankfully it's all fixed now. New VANOS bolts as well as a fresh valve cover and MILVS.

Once I got the car running again, I also ordered Condor Speed Shop headers, as well as an N54 intake manifold. Those should be installed in the next 2-3 weeks. Once I have that done I'll get a tune for the car, probably from Bob @ StageFP.

Last edited by wootloops; 03-15-2022 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #34
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's been a while since I posted, but I've made some good progress on the car.

With the help of Biginboca, I swapped out my 3-Stage intake manifold for an N54 manifold. This helps move the powerband toward the upper RPMs, which is ideal for track driving.

I also received and installed my Condor Speed Shop headers. I will be posting a seperate thread with a full review and install notes. At the same time, I deleted the N51 secondary air pump.

I also flashed a tune from Bob @ StageFP. Between the headers, manifold, and tune the car really does feel a lot more alive. The power delivery is very linear and it holds it all the way to redline, as opposed to the dips that I felt in the mid range from the DISA intake manifold transitioning between stages. It was a decent amount of work to get everything installed but I think it was worth it.

Next on the list is swapping the rear end to a 3.73 final drive ratio. I'd also like to do a LSD at the same time but we'll see.
Appreciate 4
      03-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #35
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Intake Manifold looks good in the engine bay, like it was oem. I would love to know if there’s any meaningful difference between AA, AA Rep, Condor, and Supersprint headers for the N52. Seems like the Supersprint might be a little different from the others but never got any firm info on them, and they are so expensive lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 05:51 AM   #36
g.abrams
Rep
Drives: 335i

Subscribed

Awesome work!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 07:00 AM   #37
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
How do you like the PFC08 front and 332 rear setup? I'm running 08s all around right now and haven't had any issues, but it looks like an interesting pad compound.

How's the clearance on the front between the 17x9 and the F30 setup?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:00 PM   #38
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
How do you like the PFC08 front and 332 rear setup? I'm running 08s all around right now and haven't had any issues, but it looks like an interesting pad compound.

How's the clearance on the front between the 17x9 and the F30 setup?
The PFC pads have been good so far, but I only have a handful of laps on the setup. I was originally going to run Carbotech Xp10/Xp8 like I have on my M3, but Bimmerworld talked me into these. It's not an apples to apples comparison since the M3 has larger rotors, but these feel like they might be a little easier to modulate than the CT Xp10/8 combo, with maybe a tad less initial bite. But they seem to fit the car well. I'm also not a skilled driver by any stretch of the imagination.

There is plenty of clearance for the calipers. I do have very large spacers in the front (+18mm) due to the weird offset (et52) for the 17x9 square wheels to fit this chassis. Even without the spacers I don't think there would be an issue with the calipers clearing the wheels. There's also plenty of clearance between the caliper and barrel even with a 17" wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #39
jonevans
Rep
Drives: 123D

Awesome work man! Would you mind if i ask how much do cars like these go on auction for?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:54 PM   #40
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonevans View Post
Awesome work man! Would you mind if i ask how much do cars like these go on auction for?
My winning bid was a little under $3k but then there were auction fees, broker fees and shipping since I got it from out of state. It was closer to $4500 after all of that. By the time I fixed everything to make it roadworthy, I probably didn't save any money over buying a finished "rebuilt" title car, or even maybe a clean title car. But it was something I always wanted to do as a fun project. The fact that it was a sunroof-less slicktop car with a manual transmission also was part of the reason I couldn't pass it up, as those are getting harder to find.

Last edited by wootloops; 03-16-2022 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #41
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
The PFC pads have been good so far, but I only have a handful of laps on the setup. I was originally going to run Carbotech Xp10/Xp8 like I have on my M3, but Bimmerworld talked me into these. It's not an apples to apples comparison since the M3 has larger rotors, but these feel like they might be a little easier to modulate than the CT Xp10/8 combo, with maybe a tad less initial bite. But they seem to fit the car well. I'm also not a skilled driver by any stretch of the imagination.

There is plenty of clearance for the calipers. I do have very large spacers in the front (+18mm) due to the weird offset (et52) for the 17x9 square wheels to fit this chassis. Even without the spacers I don't think there would be an issue with the calipers clearing the wheels. There's also plenty of clearance between the caliper and barrel even with a 17" wheel.
I ran a G-loc set up prior to PFC and couldn't stand them. I completely agree that the PFC are easier to modulate and I find them to last a lot longer as well. I'd say you made the right choice, I'll have to look into the 332 pad when I need to buy rear pads again though.

Yeah, I have a set of the ET52 wheels, I'm currently running the 06 330i's 330mm front rotor/57mm piston caliper and I'm surprised how close the caliper is to the wheel even with a 15mm spacer (I haven't measured the actual clearance though). I'm thinking the profile of the F30 caliper must be a little better than the old BMW caliper & bracket combo.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:09 AM   #42
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

PFC08 were my pad of choice for years racing an E36 M3 with stock brakes, similar to a 128i. Very easy to modulate and the pads/rotors lasted forever.
Appreciate 1
wootloops353.50