BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #23
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 PS2 N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Thanks the carbon came out nice, the big piece across the dash, needs another coat to get the last couple waves out. But I'm good with it for now. I'd look for an epoxy that is super thick and doesnt run as much as the one I used.
So it can go on thick and then sand it all the way back to smooth.

Anyway my car is boosting fast and I'm steady topping out at 21.8 psi and its wicked fast just on 93 octane. And smooth as silk when I'm just cruising town.
I need to just drive it now it's running this good.thanks for looking
These cars are a dream when everything is running properly. With how smooth and tame they can be around town, it always catches me by surprise when I really get on it. These things are truly amazing drivers cars. Enjoy your new turbos! Good job on getting all the small issues sorted! Also, these CSF radiators are a godsend! My coolant temps are incredibly stable now.
      01-19-2020, 09:26 AM   #24
GeeoH82
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

"Duralast" ... or not
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #25
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So I haven't updated this in awhile. I kinda got bored of it. But the fact that I can go back and see what I've done later on is a good resource to me.
I will update more with pics soon.

After the turbo install and getting everything sorted, and my 93 oct tune done with motiv, I went for a last log. Misfired with basically new plugs and coils. So when I went to recheck the gap on my plugs I noticed oil in cyl 1 and 2. I cleaned it out and changed the vcg. No more oil!! But still getting misfires. So I thought maybe I fouled a plug. So I changed them out. Still getting misfires!!!!!! Then I got new seals, and a seal removal set and injector puller. And I cleaned the injectors and put new seals. Switched them around and coded them. Still getting misfires, now on several cylinders. So I bought 3 refurbished injectors off ebay. Put them in and my car wouldn't even run. Pulled them and sent them back. Full refund, no questions asked. So he must have known they were bs. Sent me the refund before I even shipped them back. Lol.
So I ordered 6 new injectors from fcp. A set of precision racing coils and put that all on. Guess what? Misfire cyl 3 damnit!!!! Now I'm ready to sell the car for parts.

Then it hit me. When I was taking the injectors out the first time, I took the hold down clamp off cyl 1&2. Then I pulled on the cyl 3 injector a couple times, with the puller but forgot to take the hold down clamp for cyl 3 &4 off. Dumbass mistake!!.
The clamp was bent, when I took the engine cover off, I could see the cyl3 injector rattling around in there. Si bent it back and it was still rattling but not as bad. So when I took the hold down clamp bolt out, I felt a rough spot in the threads. With a light and a long skinny magnet I found I broke off a thread and it was sitting in the bottom and not letting the bolt go all the way down. So after I got that out it went all the way down. And holy crap , no more misfires. Went finished my logs and my tune was sorted now.

I got more but don't want to write a book. More issues. Meth going in and dynos coming soon.
This was issue #1. Took awhile to sort out
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #26
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So onto next issue. Got a major oil leak, so took it to a friend's shop. Deal is i get free lift time but I have to wait for an open lift. Unfortunately it took 3 weeks. Then after a few days I had a planned vacation. So then it sat for another 2 weeks.
So it was my 2 center oil lines on my turbos. 1 feed line o-ring was crushed. And 1 return line was lightly seeping at the gasket. Luckily they were accessible with only removing downpipes. Ran the car for awhile just driving on the dyno jet and no oil dripped from anywhere. Except up top. I have a leak at the ofh. Dont think its the housing gasket, but I got one anyway.
Purchased
Ofhg
Of therm gasket
Mishimoto AN adapters
Mishi 10an lines
A small g-plus 10an 19 row radiator
And some black gasket maker to seal the cap to the housing. Because looking closely at it i think my oil cooler lines are shot and leaking on both sides and the cap seems to be the issue too.
So this week I'll be changing the whole setup. Im not looking for cooler oil, just trying to make none of it leak anywhere.
And get a chance to really clean up the front of the engine where there's alot of cacked on oil.

The meth is also done. Just went with a Snow stg1 single nozzle kit for now. Also bought a snow controller off a fellow member here.
Made some L-brackets in the trunk to make filling the bottle easier.
Got on the dyno today, and made 411 to the wheels with meth off and 93 oct tune.
Then with a low meth setting made 423whp and 430 on torque. I was expecting better but.....
My guy says there is alot on the table and we need to change my tune around a bit. And turn up the meth a bit. He tells me he can see 450 to the wheels without stressing it too much.. But that is for another day. I have a deal with him. He tunes cars but not bmw's. If I get him all the software then he will tune my car free forever. And no more logs we will do it all on the dyno.
Best part of the day- no limp mode car is running strong
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #27
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sorry for the sideways pics
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #28
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
More sideways pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #29
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So I decided to cheat on my oil cooler and not put the new one in. When I took it apart it had only 1 of 4 o-rings on the lines. So I figured noice easy fix. Not so much. Now its back together there is a leak in the rubber hose too!!! Crap, can never get off easy in this car. So its either buy the $150 hose. Or use the new cooler and 10an lines j already have. So now to take everything apart again. Grrrrrr
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #30
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 PS2 N55 135i

Good numbers! Especially for just 93, and 93 + meth. Sounds safe and plenty quick!

As for the oil leaks, I'd just bite the bullet and replace the lines with the new kit you ordered..

Remove the front bumper for ease of mounting the new cooler, replace the lines, replace the oil filter housing gaskets, clean everything up on the front of the engine and be done with it for good! That's just me though.

Good luck with it!

Austin
      12-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #31
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Good numbers! Especially for just 93, and 93 + meth. Sounds safe and plenty quick!

As for the oil leaks, I'd just bite the bullet and replace the lines with the new kit you ordered..

Remove the front bumper for ease of mounting the new cooler, replace the lines, replace the oil filter housing gaskets, clean everything up on the front of the engine and be done with it for good! That's just me though.

Good luck with it!

Austin
So the mishimoto 10an lines are not very flexible. And to have to run them where I need is very tough. Im replacing the oem hoses for now. With a used pair I found for $75
Buuuut I think bottom mount single turbo is coming soon with all the goodies.
So I think I may change it and run 2 oil coolers when I do that.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Day1 new direction

* ordered doc race dr700 kit with a gen2 6266 ships march 1st i hope
*ordered ebc rotors and pads and stoptech s/s brake lines and motul brake fluid. Been backordered and its over a month now!!
* have whiteline rsfb and diff bushings
* have m3 rear arms here and front arms already installed
* JB4 is just installed with a hybrid bef and im playing with it to get ready for ST bef
* ready to order the prometh DI kit. Works with all my present snow meth setup. Just need to tap manifold and wire additional solenoid
* ordered heat wrap, heat sleeves and heat tapeand adhesive heat blanket, 16g wire to extend my coolant sensor, and shrink sleeves for install
* fcp order, bomb proof exhaust gaskets
Water pipe gasket
Vcg
Dozen turbo o-rings
Intake mani studs and nuts
Manifold gaskets
Push pins for fender wells
Engine cover bolts
Windshield washer cap(finally been gone for a year)
Upper and lower radiator hose
Billet mickey mouse hose
Expansion tank hose
Liqui moly 5w40 molygen
Mann filter
Whiteline diff bushings
Vtt engine mount insert plates
Corteco engine mounts oem
Ofh bolts ( had a stripped bolt last time. Didnt have new)
Ofhg

* PFS dbl diy bucket to make my present walbro 450 a secondary and add a walbro 525 for primary.
Think im ready!!!
Oh and i love my new dws06 contis. Great tires!! Were supposed to be winter tires but im keeping them on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 02-14-2021 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #33
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Im trying to get all my stuff for single turbo on the down low so my wife doesnt know how much im spending. She knows about the turbo kit but not all the associated stuff i need to change. I ordered everything at different times. So it comes in at different times. Well everything showed up today all at the same time!! There were boxes piled all over my porch. Lol. Even my 5 week backordered brake rotors showed today. She isnt pissed but a little bitchy today. Lol.

Anyway, everything is here but turbo kit, pro meth kit and my motor mounts and new coolant hoses. All is ordered and on its way. Oh and i just ordered a new steering wheel cover. My leather on top is cracking.
Supposedly the dr700 kit ships in 2 weeks. I cant wait!!!!
Last pic is tubs full of new parts going in soon
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 02-16-2021 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Adding info. Deleting random typing
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #34
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
New shipment today. Got the motor mounts. The vtt plates, thanks ShocknAwe
A whole slew of gaskets. Vcg and ofhg arent even that old but might as well do it anyway. New coolant hoses.
And the diff bushings arrived.
Condor trans mounts too

All i need now is my turbo kit to ship and my prometh kit. And some warmer days to work in my garage. Thinking about a propane heater

I decided not to do the diff bushings since i will be doing lsd and axels soon. Hate to drop all that stuff twice. Im already going to be backtracking on other things and doing a couple things twice
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 02-21-2021 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
ShocknAwe3228.00
houtan704.00
      02-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #35
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
New shipment today. Got the motor mounts. The vtt plates, thanks ShocknAwe
A whole slew of gaskets. Vcg and ofhg arent even that old but might as well do it anyway. New coolant hoses.
And the diff bushings arrived.

All i need now is my turbo kit and my prometh kit. Condor trans mounts coming in tomorrow. And some warmer days to work in my garage. Thinking about a propane heater

I decided not to do the diff bushings since i will be doing lsd and axels soon. Hate to drop all that stuff twice. Im already going to be backtracking on other things and doing a couple things twice
Nice!!
      02-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #36
Ditcher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Looking good man. I hate to think how much you put into that. LOL You going to do any internal work?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #37
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditcher View Post
Looking good man. I hate to think how much you put into that. LOL You going to do any internal work?
Not yet. Im basically just putting it all in and taking it slow and easy. While i dial the turbo and meth and see how my fuel is. Ill be saving for the next job. Either lsd , axels, trans adapter, and a fuel pump overdrive system.
Or the looks part: cf hood, trunk ,diffuser, bumper, paint & wheels & coilovers
Not sure which is next yet.

So this weekend was productive, painted calipers, new rotors, pads, stop tech brakelines, m3 control arms and new rsfb.
Some issues, fcp sent me 2 rear upper right side arms. Gotta get that shipped asap.
First 3 subframe bushing were so easy, the last one my tool ceased up and couldnt get it off or the bushing out. Had to saw the top and bottom off and go buy another threaded rod. BTW that tool is awesome!!!
And i got pushed back a full day because my oem brakepipes are all crudded up and i twisted the head off one trying to get it unstuck.
Since my car has to wait for the control arm to show up. Im gonna do a few more things i planned for another day while its on the jackstands
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #38
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Did trans mounts today and found another leaky oil line to the turbos. This is like my 4th one. Oh well thats all coming out in a couple weeks. Its not a bad one. I can live with it. Cant wait to get down to blocking all those off.
And my rear turbo inlet has moved back just a little, not enough to cause any loss of boost but i get the turbo siren sound between 3000 and 3500 rpm. Again i can live with it for a couple more weeks.

Added a steering wheel cover too.

Lots of good stuff this week.
Meth kit has arrived.
Part of my turbo kit is shipping. Other part is still a week away. Maybe 2
Fuel bucket and exteral pcv will be here any day.
Only thing left on my huge list to buy is a couple ntk o2 sensors
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 03-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:47 PM   #39
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Im trying to get all my stuff for single turbo on the down low so my wife doesnt know how much im spending. She knows about the turbo kit but not all the associated stuff i need to change. I ordered everything at different times. So it comes in at different times. Well everything showed up today all at the same time!! There were boxes piled all over my porch. Lol. Even my 5 week backordered brake rotors showed today. She isnt pissed but a little bitchy today. Lol.

Anyway, everything is here but turbo kit, pro meth kit and my motor mounts and new coolant hoses. All is ordered and on its way. Oh and i just ordered a new steering wheel cover. My leather on top is cracking.
Supposedly the dr700 kit ships in 2 weeks. I cant wait!!!!
Last pic is tubs full of new parts going in soon
Cant wait to order my kit later this year!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #40
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Cant wait to order my kit later this year!
Yes its very exciting. I was going to buy a new car and couldnt find anything i liked under $50k so i figured it out. Itll cost me $20k+ by the end but i can make this car pretty sweet top to bottom. And keep it for a long time
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00
      03-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #41
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So work has begun on the single turbo. My dr700 kit arrives thursday but its not the whole kit. They are behind in making the dp, waterpipe and dump tubes. So im getting the rest of the stuff. Cant start the install because waterpipe is first thing to go on.
So while im waiting on that. I tapped the manifold for meth nozzles. And i plugged the ports in my cylinder head for an external pcv.
And a stupid move i dropped a bit and set screw under the cam ledge!!! I wanted to puke. I got a boroscope on the way with a tiny 5mm camera to see if i can find it and get it out without removing the ledges. The space is just too small to get a magnet in with any sort of movement. If i have to remove it. I was thinking of just buying some cat cams. Im goinh to try to loosen the can ledge, just a little to get some more room if i need to.
Anyway im moving on, the car gets jacked up higher tomorrow and the turbos will come out. I also changed the ofh bolts to new ones and did the gasket just because. More to come
I was super careful with the plugging of the ports. Stuffed paper towel in the valves then a piece of cardboard with grease on it to catch the shards. And put grease around the hole i was tapping. I still saw a couple shards fly out, but i think i kept all out of the head. Then i dropped the bit anyway. Ugh!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #42
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So kit showed up today. Its veen a little cold last couple days so i have not worked on the car at all. Starting sunday ill be out there for like 4 of the following 5 days. I got the top done. Intake tapped, meth kit together, cylinder head plugged, both catch cans run. Waiting on a few manifold bolts and new throttle body gasket
Next jobs
*pull out everything underneath yikes!! and get those twins out of there.
*Run the new coolant lines.
* add big turbo
This kit is new to the market and they are a little behind. The waterpipe, dp, block plugs, oil lines, dump tube and all hardware ships next week. So i cant get too far and im slow walking the whole job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
houtan704.00
      03-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #43
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Turbos are out. They are still in awesome condition. 2nd time around taking these things out is so much easier. And this time i have cordless ratchet, small dewalt impact gun, big ass electric impact and 3ft breaker bar. Didnt even need to turn on air compressor.
Also replaced all coolant lines
Ordered berk midpipes
Ordered an ebay aluminum manifold with meth ports. I hope it doesnt suck. Running that much meth into the plastic manifold scared me. Ive seen a plastic chargepipe blow up.
Moving on, rest of my turbo kit ships this week.....i hope
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
houtan704.00
      03-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #44
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Still waiting on the rest of the turbo kit.......... Supposed to ship by tuesday.
So changed the motor mount on the driver side. Im doing this install without removing subframe and suspension. But to get the driverside mount out i had to loosen subframe and jack up engine a little more. Then let it back down and tighten the subframe again and the bottom mount bolts to get the threads through the top to get the nut back on. But its done.

Put in a 335d coolant tank on driver side. Finished all the new coolant lines except lower coolant rez one that is coming with the kit.

Hung the berk midpipes. Winged bracket is not even close to going back up. Think i need a longer bolt.

Also i changed the cluster faces. Kinda goofy with the blue, but i like them. Went to white led's but my solder gun sucks and is not pointy enough to get those tiny leds off. So i just put it back for now.

Meth is going in. Prometh kit is pretty sweet. Had to remove my 335d tank because once the manifold and chargepipe went on it didnt fit. So now im trying to figure out where to put everything. Have to get the top of motor buttoned up tomorrow. Been waiting on 2 bolts for valvecover for 1.5 weeks from fcp. Lost in georgia somewhere
Attached Images

Last edited by Petro135; 04-01-2021 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0