BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #1
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i cabrio

[2009 128i convertible e88 n51] How to remove the rear seats both the bench lower sea

For the bench part of the seat just stuff your hand down there and yank up on both sides. Should pop out pretty easily

For upper part of the seats in the rear, unscrew the two bolts at the bottom shown here in green

[the circle and arrow at the top of the picture is to show how the seat is "hung" on this metal bracket]

Now remove the head rest by giving them an upper cut while holding the push tab in. WARNING head rest may go flying.

Now comes the annoying STUPID FUCKING DUMB WAY BMW WANTS YOU TO DO THIS AND MADE IT THIS WAY:

use very small flat head screw drivers and go inside the hole where the head rest post or legs were. there will be 2 clips inside each hole and you have to somehow grip the top of this plastic release and pull them into the middle. you need to do this for both holes on each side [so 4 holes in total] once you have pulled them in push up on each side of the plastic so they dont just lock back in place. they should slide up about 6ish inch and then you can pull the seat straight upwards to get it out of the way.

This tutorial is prob hard to follow so here is a professional one i found

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...all_1er/en.php
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
MGalo
Rep
Drives: '11 E88 135i, ToyotaMR2Spyder

THANK YOU for this thread AND link! Without this info...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 12:23 AM   #3
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGalo View Post
THANK YOU for this thread AND link! Without this info...
Thats what were all here for brother! ive gotten pretty damn good at e88 stuff. let me know if you have any questions
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 04:20 PM   #4
MGalo
Rep
Drives: '11 E88 135i, ToyotaMR2Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfb View Post
Thats what were all here for brother! ive gotten pretty damn good at e88 stuff. let me know if you have any questions
Oh, I understand and appreciate the knowledge/experience shared on forums. I figured there was something here, and your post was a goldmine! I was in the process of swapping my base, Lemon Boston seats for Terracotta Sport types. I found the full interior at a place in GA, and they accepted my offer. After removing the rear seats rather easily, thanks to your post/link, I drove down from Indianapolis on Sunday, woke up Monday and drove to the location. After getting some "little" electrical connector troubles figured out, I got the front seats and door cards(door trim) installed, and loaded the back seats and lateral trim(gotta love BMW's parts names) in the rear seat area. I drove home, and Tuesday, a grandson helped me put the rear seat goodies in. The sport seats are fantastic!!! Now I'll be able to drive the twisties without having to hang on for dear life! And the seats have all power adjustments in working order, so on those cold Indiana days, the "bun warmers" will be able to do their job!

Thank you again, for your words and pics, PLUS the link, which did indeed make it a little clearer. And YES, those little catches in the headrest tubes are
a royal pain!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 09:54 PM   #5
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGalo View Post
Oh, I understand and appreciate the knowledge/experience shared on forums. I figured there was something here, and your post was a goldmine! I was in the process of swapping my base, Lemon Boston seats for Terracotta Sport types. I found the full interior at a place in GA, and they accepted my offer. After removing the rear seats rather easily, thanks to your post/link, I drove down from Indianapolis on Sunday, woke up Monday and drove to the location. After getting some "little" electrical connector troubles figured out, I got the front seats and door cards(door trim) installed, and loaded the back seats and lateral trim(gotta love BMW's parts names) in the rear seat area. I drove home, and Tuesday, a grandson helped me put the rear seat goodies in. The sport seats are fantastic!!! Now I'll be able to drive the twisties without having to hang on for dear life! And the seats have all power adjustments in working order, so on those cold Indiana days, the "bun warmers" will be able to do their job!

Thank you again, for your words and pics, PLUS the link, which did indeed make it a little clearer. And YES, those little catches in the headrest tubes are
a royal pain!
HELL YA DUDE! i love when people are able to get a job done from a single post and not have piece meal from 6 different post!

feel free to share some pics of your swap!
Appreciate 0