BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
mack128i
1er
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i e82

Does the n52 have a habit of blowing coil packs?

There are a lot of posts on here about coil packs but could not really find anything regarding any issues with wearing out coil packs too quickly.

I replaced mine Summer of 2017, and just last night she, 2013 128i, started doing that little engine rumble when they start to go.

My curiosity has anyone had any issues with coil packs going out to fast?
I am sure there is the possibility of it being a bad part also.

To boot, I do have a Stage 1 tune..I don't push the engine very often; maybe in DS mode about once a month for less than a few miles on the interstate.

It is my daily, most of the miles are commuting and drive in D mode.

Looking forward to everyone's responses.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I think the coil pack issues are compounded by spark plug issues, as the DME will charge the coils more aggressively to compensate for worn plugs, wearing the coils even faster. I don't know what really causes either of these issues, but my car, with 181k miles on it, hasn't had any issues since I bought it at 159k.
      11-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I think the coil pack issues are compounded by spark plug issues, as the DME will charge the coils more aggressively to compensate for worn plugs, wearing the coils even faster. I don't know what really causes either of these issues, but my car, with 181k miles on it, hasn't had any issues since I bought it at 159k.
Good feedback, I changed out the plugs at the same time, denso I believe...any thoughts there?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack128i View Post
Quote:
Good feedback, I changed out the plugs at the same time, denso I believe...any thoughts there?
Not really. I haven't had the pleasure (?) of dealing with the ignition system yet, but what I've gathered from the forums is to go with the brand and p/n that came on the car, and to clear adaptations if possible when you're done.
      11-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not really. I haven't had the pleasure (?) of dealing with the ignition system yet, but what I've gathered from the forums is to go with the brand and p/n that came on the car, and to clear adaptations if possible when you're done.
Makes sense...

I'm wondering if the tune overworked the plugs, which is likely what you were suggesting in your original response. I've read in some posts that tunes can wear those out...maybe swapping out the plugs and singling out the coil should fix it right up
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense...

I'm wondering if the tune overworked the plugs, which is likely what you were suggesting in your original response. I've read in some posts that tunes can wear those out...maybe swapping out the plugs and singling out the coil should fix it right up
It's possible, but I'm also tuned (since about 165k miles) and haven't had any issues, yet...
      11-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense...

It's possible, but I'm also tuned (since about 165k miles) and haven't had any issues, yet...
Was looking online to see if there are any performance coil packs, found some called Plasma? But 1k for all 6, ouch
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense...

Was looking online to see if there are any performance coil packs, found some called Plasma? But 1k for all 6, ouch
I wouldn't bother with that, you said you were only "Stage 1," which, I assume means intake manifold and maybe an exhaust (I just have an intake). I believe E30ROB is pushing 252whp with an N52 on normal coils and plugs, that's as far as I know. He's got an N54 intake manifold, S65 injectors for E85, catless headers; i.e. the whole nine yards. Maybe he'll chime in with some helpful info...
      11-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense...

I wouldn't bother with that, you said you were only "Stage 1," which, I assume means intake manifold and maybe an exhaust (I just have an intake). I believe E30ROB is pushing 252whp with an N52 on normal coils and plugs, that's as far as I know. He's got an N54 intake manifold, S65 injectors for E85, catless headers; i.e. the whole nine yards. Maybe he'll chime in with some helpful info...
Ah, that means I have Stage 0, LOL

I'm at the point of tryna decide between Super Sprint or go with an intake..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Whatever floats your boat, really. The torque gain from the 3-Stage Intake was fantastic, but I've been wanting an exhaust a lot lately.

You might be driving your car too gingerly, these engines like to be pushed a little. I actually have to beat on my car, just a little, every day to actually have a smooth, and enjoyable driving experience.
      11-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Whatever floats your boat, really. The torque gain from the 3-Stage Intake was fantastic, but I've been wanting an exhaust a lot lately.

You might be driving your car too gingerly, these engines like to be pushed a little. I actually have to beat on my car, just a little, every day to actually have a smooth, and enjoyable driving experience.
You know what, it's crazy you mentioned that, because I swear after run the shit out of it in DS, it seems to really run different. I wasn't sure if it was placebo, but I've heard that the ECU trains to the drivers habits.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Quote:
Werent the coils the only ones that were recalled and not the spark plugs? I just replaced only my coils (all 6). Was it a mistake to not replace the spark plugs that are rated for 100k miles in our cars? I have no tunes or mods with only 30k miles on my 09 n51
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryq10android View Post
Quote:
Werent the coils the only ones that were recalled and not the spark plugs? I just replaced only my coils (all 6). Was it a mistake to not replace the spark plugs that are rated for 100k miles in our cars? I have no tunes or mods with only 30k miles on my 09 n51
Absolutely not, you've done everything right. The plugs are rated for 100k, and spark plugs have been in every non-diesel ICE since the beginning of the ICE, so that design hasn't changed much in 150+ years. What ignites the spark has changed a lot over the years, and with the reinvention of the wheel, you are bound to have issues, hence the recall.
      11-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
You know what, it's crazy you mentioned that, because I swear after run the shit out of it in DS, it seems to really run different. I wasn't sure if it was placebo, but I've heard that the ECU trains to the drivers habits.
Yes throttle adaptations that can be reset and AT adaptations if you have an auto.
      11-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
There are a lot of posts on here about coil packs but could not really find anything regarding any issues with wearing out coil packs too quickly.

I replaced mine Summer of 2017, and just last night she, 2013 128i, started doing that little engine rumble when they start to go.

My curiosity has anyone had any issues with coil packs going out to fast?
I am sure there is the possibility of it being a bad part also.

To boot, I do have a Stage 1 tune..I don't push the engine very often; maybe in DS mode about once a month for less than a few miles on the interstate.

It is my daily, most of the miles are commuting and drive in D mode.

Looking forward to everyone's responses.
What the bmw service rep told me was the oem factory packs in our 1ers were built of an old style, when I took it in he told me they replaced it with the most recent version and I shouldn't have to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Absolutely not, you've done everything right. The plugs are rated for 100k, and spark plugs have been in every non-diesel ICE since the beginning of the ICE, so that design hasn't changed much in 150+ years. What ignites the spark has changed a lot over the years, and with the reinvention of the wheel, you are bound to have issues, hence the recall.
I'll offer a counterpoint. Resistance in the plug electrode created by deposits and wear that increases plug gap both increase the output demand on the coils, which in turn creates more heat and possibly reduces service life of the coil.

If it were me, I would replace the plugs any time I had the motor torn down to the point that the only additional labor was screwing out the old ones and replacing them. Same logic as replacing the clutch any time you have the transmission off. Regardless, as usual I consider the practical service life half of what BMW says, so I do the plugs every 50k miles.
      11-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #17
mack128i
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Quote:
I'll offer a counterpoint. Resistance in the plug electrode created by deposits and wear that increases plug gap both increase the output demand on the coils, which in turn creates more heat and possibly reduces service life of the coil.

If it were me, I would replace the plugs any time I had the motor torn down to the point that the only additional labor was screwing out the old ones and replacing them. Same logic as replacing the clutch any time you have the transmission off. Regardless, as usual I consider the practical service life half of what BMW says, so I do the plugs every 50k miles.
Very good information, though I did change out the plugs at the same time...can't recall if I gapped them or not. If not, that may have caused the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Most modern plugs come pre-gapped, but it never hurts to check - I've found them out-of-spec out of the box. Of course if you're dealing with multi-pronged plugs they are non-adjustable.
      11-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #19
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I did plugs a couple of weeks ago and checked the gap. They were not consistent. Not by much maybe 0.002 to .003.

BTW - my plugs were really hard to loosen. I think they were slightly seized up. I put an ever so slight smear of copper based anti-seize on the new ones and reduced the torque spec by about 25%. Opinions are all over the place on using anti-seize.
      11-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

I always slather anti-seize on anything that might stick in place inconveniently. As long as you adjust the torque (wet vs. dry torque is a real thing) it shouldn't be any issue. I've seen some very difficult to image damage caused by anti-seize on lug bolts being rattled on by a tire shop gorilla with a giant impact gun and not an ounce of common sense.
      11-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #21
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
I always slather anti-seize on anything that might stick in place inconveniently. As long as you adjust the torque (wet vs. dry torque is a real thing) it shouldn't be any issue. I've seen some very difficult to image damage caused by anti-seize on lug bolts being rattled on by a tire shop gorilla with a giant impact gun and not an ounce of common sense.
Impact wrench to ~200 ft-lb then check it with a torque wrench for 90 ft-lb. That's supposed to make us feel like the did it right.
      11-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #22
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I did plugs a couple of weeks ago and checked the gap. They were not consistent. Not by much maybe 0.002 to .003.

BTW - my plugs were really hard to loosen. I think they were slightly seized up. I put an ever so slight smear of copper based anti-seize on the new ones and reduced the torque spec by about 25%. Opinions are all over the place on using anti-seize.
At least we don't have the Ford 5.4 Triton issue of the plugs snapping and getting completely stuck in the cylinder head...