BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Chill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

1M Maintenance Light Illuminated

I'm taking my car into dealer later this week for airbag recall. It's a fairly low mile car at 17k, and the miles accumulated since last BMW service under warranty 2 years ago is under 1000 miles. However, the maintenance light is illuminated (the one showing the car on a lift) and I know BMW has a timer built in for this. Question is, should I simply ask them to reset or will they request to change the oil and filter and should I follow their advice? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

You can scroll through the maintenance menu to figure out exactly what the car says needs to be done -- the available options IIRC are engine oil/filter, brake fluid, front/rear brakes, and comprehensive check (not entirely clear to me what this entails.) Engine air filter and cabin air filter might be included in this, but to my knowledge there is no specific indicator for these. (BTW these are pretty straightforward if you are handy with these sort of things -- it's sure to be a gouge at the dealer.)

So at 6 years and 17k miles it would be reasonable getting the brake fluid done for peace of mind but none of the other ones really jump out to me as being mission critical items. I do sort of doubt that the dealer will be content with resetting the light without lightening your wallet in some fashion. It is pretty easy to look up how to reset the lights on your own, though.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      10-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I do sort of doubt that the dealer will be content with resetting the light without lightening your wallet in some fashion. It is pretty easy to look up how to reset the lights on your own, though.
^^I agree. Here is how to reset your service due lights...

DIY resetting service "due" lights…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111

You probably just need a oil change, pollen filter change and brake fluid change. Maybe new wiper blades. Check brakes and other wear items.

Dackel
Appreciate 2
ayao634.50
Esteban43330.00
      10-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

My vote is for low battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
When my battery was weak, it actually displayed "Increased battery discharge" on the Nav screen at startup. The Vehicle info section in iDrive should list what is prompting the alert.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Chill
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all for the responses - heading in with a bit more knowledge thanks to you all. Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
CHILL
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Chill
Private First Class
Rep

Well sure enough, first visit back to dealership after the last maintenance under warranty 2 yrs ago and the car needs a full service is what they are telling me. Oil, Tranny service, rear diff service, spark plugs, cabin filter, brake fluid. Seems incredible to me that the car only has 17k on it and could possibly need this maintenance. The oil was changed 2 yrs/2000 miles ago.

For the record that 5 year free maintenance got me 2 or 3 oil changes, that was it. Granted, it hasn't been driven much since the first few years.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Well sure enough, first visit back to dealership after the last maintenance under warranty 2 yrs ago and the car needs a full service is what they are telling me. Oil, Tranny service, rear diff service, spark plugs, cabin filter, brake fluid. Seems incredible to me that the car only has 17k on it and could possibly need this maintenance. The oil was changed 2 yrs/2000 miles ago.

For the record that 5 year free maintenance got me 2 or 3 oil changes, that was it. Granted, it hasn't been driven much since the first few years.
It only needs it because maintenance is now on your dime. Truthfully I wouldnt pay for any of those unless a large tube of KY is included. I'm not a super handy person but have done all of those on my car without destroying anything. The only thing they didn't mention which you might consider, is a coolant flush. And even that, with a Schwaben flush kit (there's a brand new one being sold for half price on the M3 forum) is not horrible. What did you decde to get done?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Chill
Private First Class
Rep

I brought her home and will talk with my old german mechanic here locally at a small shop. I didn't have a very enjoyable experience today with the BMW Service Advisor .... telling me how this car needed all this maintenance. F that. Spark plugs at 17k, piss off.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I will say most of those are probably not needed at those miles but I would at the very least be changing the oil every year. Even if its only has 1k miles on it, still cheap insurance.
      11-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

If i had to bet on what the light is for it would be Brake Fluid, they are pretty anal about 2 year interval for this, for good reason you dont want moisture to corrode any of the lines and modules.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

It's been six years probably since the break-in trans, diff service at 1200 miles. some people didn't even get the trans service in the US. Even though you are at 17K miles, you should still change it on years alone. The fluid deteriorates with age and not miles. It's chemical not mechanical. I changed my own diff and trans fluid and bought bottles of LT-5 trans fluid in the fall of 2011 when the 1M came out. They have an expiration date of July 2016. That means that the fluid that was used in your gearbox back in 2011 or 2012 has already been expired by the manufacturer and that expiration was for just sitting in the bottle not in the car.

There are actually additional things that happen to oils when they sit a long time. condensation that normally evaporates with daily running can accumulate in the fluid and affect parts, even rust internals not to mention reducing the lubrication. The same goes for your brake fluid. Finally, if you store it for a long time, top off the tank so there is less air to build condensation to form in the tank.

My car also had the same issue. it only has 21K miles and a couple of years back I got a light to change spark plugs etc. at 17K miles also.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
      11-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:

It's been six years probably since the break-in trans, diff service at 1200 miles. some people didn't even get the trans service in the US. Even though you are at 17K miles, you should still change it on years alone. The fluid deteriorates with age and not miles. It's chemical not mechanical. I changed my own diff and trans fluid and bought bottles of LT-5 trans fluid in the fall of 2011 when the 1M came out. They have an expiration date of July 2016. That means that the fluid that was used in your gearbox back in 2011 or 2012 has already been expired by the manufacturer and that expiration was for just sitting in the bottle not in the car.

There are actually additional things that happen to oils when they sit a long time. condensation that normally evaporates with daily running can accumulate in the fluid and affect parts, even rust internals not to mention reducing the lubrication. The same goes for your brake fluid. Finally, if you store it for a long time, top off the tank so there is less air to build condensation to form in the tank.

My car also had the same issue. it only has 21K miles and a couple of years back I got a light to change spark plugs etc. at 17K miles also.

I hope that helps.

agree with nachob

@chill

Oil sitting in your crankcase for 2 years should be changed.

Trans and Diff oils also.

It's actually worse that your car is driven so little as opposed to getting in at least some mileage. 1k miles in two years ...?

PS..

If your car has 17,000 miles and has the OEM 6-7 year old Michelin pilot sport tires those should also be replaced.

This is an automobile , just because you don't use it much .. doesn't mean things don't need to be replaced in order to keep it well maintained.
Appreciate 3
nachob2312.00
Dackelone10527.50
JP-1M171.00
      11-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I went to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and of course they tagged on a bunch of "recommendation" things they want to do. My car is only at 30500km (18000 Miles), are these necessary:

Additional work , service- manual gearbox
Service, rear axle differential
Spark Plugs
Air filter element

Cost $800 Cdn

I drive only 5000Km (3000miles) a year. No tracking.

The service advisor quoted me $375 for oil change! I questioned him and he said because it was an M car. I kept on pressing him and then he said he got a "system price error" and the price dropped to $230.

Just because of this I don't really have confident or trust in what they are telling me.

When I picked up the car a few hours later, they reported that there was seepage (not leaking yet) at the Oil Filter Housing and Cooler Gasket and it will cost $1200 to fix (5 hours job). How do I know if this guy is telling the truth or not?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Luca335; 11-29-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca335 View Post
I went to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and of course they tagged on a bunch of "recommendation" things they want to do. My car is only at 30500km (18000 Miles), are these necessary:

Spark Plugs
Air filter element

Cost $800 Cdn

The service adviser quoted me $375 for oil change! I questioned him and he said because it was an M car. I kept on pressing him and then he said he got a "system price error" and the price dropped to $230.

Just because of this I don't really have confident or trust in what they are telling me.

When I picked up the car a few hours later, they reported that their was seepage (not leaking yet) at the Oil Filter Housing and Cooler Gasket and it will cost $1200 to fix (5 hours job). How do I know if this guy is telling the truth or not?

Any help is appreciated.
I have just over 30K on my odometer as well.
Not quite an M-car, but while my 135i is now parked for the winter, I will change ALL fluids (at minimum) before I put it back on the road in the spring.
The car will be 7 years old next year, low mileage or not... and by the looks of it everything is still factory new, so...
Anyway, you can always ask for a second opinion... guys from the local bimmer crowd swear by CG Motorsports in Richmond.
I personally use Norlang Automotive in Walnut Grove, as they are very close to me.

Last edited by vinylengraver; 11-29-2017 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:

Spark Plugs
Air filter element

Cost $800 Cdn

The service advisor quoted me $375 for oil change! I questioned him and he said because it was an M car. I kept on pressing him and then he said he got a "system price error" and the price dropped to $230.

When I picked up the car a few hours later, they reported that there was seepage (not leaking yet) at the Oil Filter Housing and Cooler Gasket and it will cost $1200 to fix (5 hours job). How do I know if this guy is telling the truth or not?

Any help is appreciated.
How much time (months/years) has passed since the last time those items were done? As others have pointed out on this board there are things on cars that degrade with time as well as use.
      11-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #17
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:

Spark Plugs
Air filter element

Cost $800 Cdn

Any help is appreciated.
Oil filter housing gasket seems like a common issue. This thread might help provide more info: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920285
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #18
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

I hope that helps.
This +1

Can't believe what I'm reading here
JP-1M171.00
      11-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
How much time (months/years) has passed since the last time those items were done? As others have pointed out on this board there are things on cars that degrade with time as well as use.
Diff fluid was changed at 2000KM. I will have the tran and diff fluid changed then. I don't think the spark plugs have to be changed, usually they are good for 100k Miles, I am only at 18k. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Oil filter housing gasket seems like a common issue. This thread might help provide more info: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920285
Thanks for the link. Even it might be a common issue, I just don't know if the SA is telling me the truth based on this experience with him. I will take it to another dealership to have it checked out. Too bad all my trusted SA left.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
I have just over 30K on my odometer as well.
Not quite an M-car, but while my 135i is now parked for the winter, I will change ALL fluids (at minimum) before I put it back on the road in the spring.
The car will be 7 years old next year, low mileage or not... and by the looks of it everything is still factory new, so...
Anyway, you can always ask for a second opinion... guys from the local bimmer crowd swear by CG Motorsports in Richmond.
I personally use Norlang Automotive in Walnut Grove, as they are very close to me.
Thanks, I will check out the shop in Richmond.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Diff fluid was changed at 2000KM. I will have the tran and diff fluid changed then. I don't think the spark plugs have to be changed, usually they are good for 100k Miles, I am only at 18k. Thanks.
Nope. Spark plugs on the 1M should be changed every 30K miles. Lots of cold starts(short engine running) might shorten that life. On the 128i the plugs are good for 100K. But I would hate to be the one to pull those plugs out for fear of the cylinder head threads coming out as well at that mileage.

I would buy an (Mahle, Mann or BMW, bought)air filter and change it yourself. It's a 5 minute job at most. Take the time to vacuum out all the debris inside the airbox too.

I would also replace your HVAC pollen filter. You need to take this off when you replace your spark plugs.

I would also change/flush your brake fluid, diff and trans fluids. New wiper blades are also a good idea. What about your tires? I bet your due for new rears as well.

There are lots of DIY's on how to do the above maintenance yourself. Or find a good indi shop who you can trust. Maybe ask around on the forum(regional section) for a good shop.

IF your car needs a new Oil Filter Housing Gasket... also have a carbon cleaning done. The labor times will overlap. CC runs around $500ish. But I doubt you need a new OFHG probably just some spilled oil from your last oil change.

Dackel
Appreciate 0