BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i

135i brake duct questions

I ran over something on the freeway a while ago and it messed up one of my brake ducts.

My first question is would this part be all I need?:

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...wd=&origin=pla

Second question is how hard is the DIY? Do I have to take off the entire bumper?

See picture below:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
delta-9-ginseng
OG Tray Deee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i & F36 435i

Actually, similar thing happen to me and you would be surprised that if you pull kinda hard on the broken piece it will pop right off and then you can insert the new piece with some tinkering. I didn't have have to pull the bumper off or anything. Just make sure you get the correct part from BMW and play around with it you'll be surprised haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i

It looks like the windows gasket and air duct needs to be replaced.

Window gasket: http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...118045922.html

Air duct: http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...748046300.html

does this look right?

Last edited by Eazy-e; 02-20-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

For peace of mind, I would remove the bumper and get a good look at the oil cooler to make sure it was unharmed. Removing the bumper is fairly easy and only requires a few tools. There are several 8mm bolts/screws that connect the bumper to the under tray of the engine, three 8mm bolts/screws in the front of each wheel well, and four t-30 bolt/screws on the top of the bumper under the hood. There are two tricks to removing... First make sure to remove the headlight washer covers before undoing the bumper. Nothing worse than getting the bumper free and finding out that the headlight washers covers are still connected. Pull the covers up with your fingers, but have a set of needle nose pliers near by. Pull firm but slowly. They will lift as the water pressure is released, but they will want the spring down if you let go. Once they are raised, grab the shaft with the needle nose pliers. Best to brace the pliers against the edge of the bumper cover. This will allow you to hold the washer with one hand, and remove the cover with the other. The cover connects loosely to the shaft by tabs on each side of the shaft. Just pull one of the tabs off the shaft with you free hand. The tabs a pretty flexible so just be firm, but take it slow. Once one of the tabs is free, the cover will come off. This is hard to describe, but it's easy to figure it out once you see it. The next trick deals with seperating the bumper from the fenders (headlight support really, but it's between the fender and the bumper). The bumper has a snap connector that needs to be released. Press a small nylon pry bar between the bumper and the black headlight support. Wiggle and pull on the the bumper until the snap connector releases. After you do this once, it will be second nature. I'm sure you can find a video on the web that walks you through the process. You can do all of this without lifting the car, but you will need to turn the wheels full lock to reach the bolts in the wheel wells.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
For peace of mind, I would remove the bumper and get a good look at the oil cooler to make sure it was unharmed. Removing the bumper is fairly easy and only requires a few tools. There are several 8mm bolts/screws that connect the bumper to the under tray of the engine, three 8mm bolts/screws in the front of each wheel well, and four t-30 bolt/screws on the top of the bumper under the hood. There are two tricks to removing... First make sure to remove the headlight washer covers before undoing the bumper. Nothing worse than getting the bumper free and finding out that the headlight washers covers are still connected. Pull the covers up with your fingers, but have a set of needle nose pliers near by. Pull firm but slowly. They will lift as the water pressure is released, but they will want the spring down if you let go. Once they are raised, grab the shaft with the needle nose pliers. Best to brace the pliers against the edge of the bumper cover. This will allow you to hold the washer with one hand, and remove the cover with the other. The cover connects loosely to the shaft by tabs on each side of the shaft. Just pull one of the tabs off the shaft with you free hand. The tabs a pretty flexible so just be firm, but take it slow. Once one of the tabs is free, the cover will come off. This is hard to describe, but it's easy to figure it out once you see it. The next trick deals with seperating the bumper from the fenders (headlight support really, but it's between the fender and the bumper). The bumper has a snap connector that needs to be released. Press a small nylon pry bar between the bumper and the black headlight support. Wiggle and pull on the the bumper until the snap connector releases. After you do this once, it will be second nature. I'm sure you can find a video on the web that walks you through the process. You can do all of this without lifting the car, but you will need to turn the wheels full lock to reach the bolts in the wheel wells.
This is the best description of front bumper removal I've ever heard. You explained the bumper-fender fasteners perfectly, something not a lot of the DIYs do.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I actually cut off the fin. There was a thread about it awhile back, I think the car looks much better without it.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0