Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Best fuel in germany?

Hey guys,

I'm going to make a trip to the BMW museum in Germany, Munchen. Does anyone know what's the best fuel over there?

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Vienna///M
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1 M VO & E46 Stahlgrau M3

When I drive in Germany I use the 100 octane from Shell. Have used it for a number of years and have never had a bad experience ----aside from the paying part!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna///M View Post
When I drive in Germany I use the 100 octane from Shell. Have used it for a number of years and have never had a bad experience ----aside from the paying part!
+1, really happy with Shell V-Power 100.

But don't fret if at another station/brand, OMV also has 100 Octane and still plenty good.

If you haven't done so, download the free Shell iPhone app, you can locate stations and get various other useful info (and it's free). Helped me across my Euro travels, especially since I hit 5 countries and wanted nothing but the best fuel.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would just use a top tier gas station(s). ie: Aral(BP), Esso (Exxon/Mobil), Shell.

You want to always use SuperPlus grade. That is 98 octane. There is also Super (a mid grade fuel) and E10 Super (regular fuel). No one buys E10 bc of the 10 Ethanol in it.

Aral (BP) has 102 octane fuel, called "Ultimate". Shell have V-Power and is 101 Octane.

Right now gas is at an all time high price. 1.90 euro per liter for SuperPlus at Esso on the Autobahn. I would stay away from: Jet, OMV, Agip, Pin-oil, and no name gas stations, ect.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Someday on the German Autobahn I was close to running on empty (my mistake), so had no other choice than to 'accept' some biofuel at the nearest fuel station (contains ethanol). Not particularly amused and only took a minimum to get me to the next Shell station where I got a full tank of Shell V-Power 100.

So, when driving through Germany, take high octane fuel (98 and more) each time you have less than a half tank. No worries by doing so.

Name:  EthanolPetrol.jpg
Views: 10109
Size:  45.8 KB
      08-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Someday on the German Autobahn I was close to running on empty (my mistake), so had no other choice than to 'accept' some biofuel at the nearest fuel station (contains ethanol). Not particularly amused and only took a minimum to get me to the next Shell station where I got a full tank of Shell V-Power 100.

So, when driving through Germany, take high octane fuel (98 and more) each time you have less than a half tank. No worries by doing so.

Attachment 742958
YuP! That is why you ONLY want to use SuperPlus (98 octane). Only SuperPlus will have NO Ethanol. None. While the other two lower grades WILL have Ethanol.

You want SuperPlus 98!
Name:  esso_IMG_1592.jpg
Views: 13952
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  Esso_IMG_1550.jpg
Views: 12194
Size:  89.8 KB

Don't tank with either of these grades!
Name:  esso_IMG_1550-Copy.jpg
Views: 10391
Size:  78.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Ulmi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Right now gas is at an all time high price. 1.90 euro per liter for SuperPlus at Esso on the Autobahn. I would stay away from: Jet, OMV, Agip, Pin-oil, and no name gas stations, ect.
Why do you think you should stay away from Jet, OMV and Agip?

Nobody is selling bad fuel in Germany. Most of the gas-stations around Munich get their fuel by the refinery in Ingolstadt anyway. So no difference there ;-)

And about the 100Octane stuff... as our cars don't have a special mapping for high octane fuel, you won't feel the difference anyway. Especially during break in period you should have a very light food on the accelerator ;-)

Ulmi
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
frazo
Rep
Drives: 1M COUPE

I wanna say Shell V Power Racing. It will cost you a pretty penny if not super plus at any gas station will do you just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Man, such high octane ratings. Do those ratings compare with ours in the US? The highest octane we can get here in Colorado is 91, and we have no choice on the ethanol front, all of our fuel contains 10% ethanol. I think the highest rating I've seen in the US is 95 excluding the race fuel few stations have.
      08-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmi View Post
Why do you think you should stay away from Jet, OMV and Agip?

Nobody is selling bad fuel in Germany. Most of the gas-stations around Munich get their fuel by the refinery in Ingolstadt anyway. So no difference there ;-)

And about the 100Octane stuff... as our cars don't have a special mapping for high octane fuel, you won't feel the difference anyway. Especially during break in period you should have a very light food on the accelerator ;-)

Ulmi

I do not think Jet, OMV and Agip are top tier fuel brands. I might be wrong.

I know at least where I live... Jet is always one of the cheapest gas stations... and I have had some German friend's who don't like that fuel. It is kind of like those "frei tankstellen" like Pin Oel and BFT and some other no name gas stations. I stay away from those.

I am sure there must be some German group that rates fuel quality at all the gas stations in German. In the USA its called Top Tier fuels.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Yes, all the fuel gets refined at one refinery (Ingolstadt, Manheim, or Hamburg, ect) but its the additive package (that the truck driver adds to his "load") that makes the fuels different.

Here is a Aral display at the DTM race at the Noris Ring. This 125i (128i) and Audi S4 have two separate fuel tanks and fuel delivery systems. AND just look at the carbon buildup with regular fuels vs Aral's.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=38
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Man, such high octane ratings. Do those ratings compare with ours in the US? The highest octane we can get here in Colorado is 91, and we have no choice on the ethanol front, all of our fuel contains 10% ethanol. I think the highest rating I've seen in the US is 95 excluding the race fuel few stations have.
No, they don't compare. Europe uses the "ROZ" standard while the US generally uses the "RM/2"

98 ROZ (Europe) is about 93 RM/2 (US)
Though there is no fixed conversion factor.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Vienna///M
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1 M VO & E46 Stahlgrau M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I do not think Jet, OMV and Agip are top tier fuel brands. I might be wrong.

I know at least where I live... Jet is always one of the cheapest gas stations... and I have had some German friend's who don't like that fuel. It is kind of like those "frei tankstellen" like Pin Oel and BFT and some other no name gas stations. I stay away from those.

I am sure there must be some German group that rates fuel quality at all the gas stations in German. In the USA its called Top Tier fuels.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Yes, all the fuel gets refined at one refinery (Ingolstadt, Manheim, or Hamburg, ect) but its the additive package (that the truck driver adds to his "load") that makes the fuels different.

Here is a Aral display at the DTM race at the Noris Ring. This 125i (128i) and Audi S4 have two separate fuel tanks and fuel delivery systems. AND just look at the carbon buildup with regular fuels vs Aral's.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=38

I don't think OMV is in the same league as BFT, etc. In Austria the two stations that sell the highest quality are Shell and OMV.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna///M View Post
In Austria the two stations that sell the highest quality are Shell and OMV.
Same across Eastern and Central Europe.

Just stay away from Lukoil
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Euro octane may be roughly converted to US AKI octane by subtracting 5. BMW recommends 91 AKI for US models and 93 AKI is widely available in the eastern US.

Tom
Appreciate 0