BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #133
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

So updated photos of the finished turbo outlet pipe and finished engine mount

I'll have some more pics this afternoon of the finished ic to throttle body pipe.

Not much to go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #134
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
When you get pulled over and royally f%#ked in the ass by the boys in blue you will wish you had a proper kit, they are going to take one look at that engine bay and send you off for emission testing, good luck passing that.
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i2 View Post
No, you're wrong. Cant find a complete, commercially available, ready to go RHD VM kit for sale anywhere, or any other brand for that matter.

If the VM kit needs fabrication its not a commercially available RHD ST kit. Its adapted and requires plenty of dump pipe fabrication. And 7k AUD on the road with all bits and bobs I think not. Dream on.

Shoot us an image of the dump if you will. If its the UK one I'm thinking of, its not too good with compromises I wouldn't make.

Given the state of play in NSW and several other states, the VM and any other top mount will never go on my car for that reason alone. But your cars, your choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #135
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Lol this kit will be full stealth and not draw any unnecessary attention from the wrong four legged curly tailed friends looking under the bonnet

This kit is and will be finished to the highest engineering standard and not some hack job made in the backyard while enjoying a slab

So if we have to wait we wait why spend 7k+ on some top mount that will get you a emmission inspection date quicker than a rash from some 2 cent hooker

You will never max this turbo out on our motors and this is what its all about
efficiency, power and low heat

More pics coming
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #136
rac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndevil View Post

upgraded inlets/outlets + upgraded twins + stage 2 fuel pump + bits + labor comes out to ~10k AUD so if a RHD ST kit can be had at a similar price it would be an interesting option to go with/wait for
ST is going to be more expensive until someone manufacturers kits in significant quantities, and probably from a low labour cost country. Unfortunately i can't see it happening for years and years and maybe never for rhd. We will need to pay a premium the foreseeable future. Happy to be proven wrong!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #137
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil
So updated photos of the finished turbo outlet pipe and finished engine mount

I'll have some more pics this afternoon of the finished ic to throttle body pipe.

Not much to go
Looks really nice Marty, can I ask a dumb question, whats the fabricated box with what looks like a white plastic outlet?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #138
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Looks really nice Marty, can I ask a dumb question, whats the fabricated box with what looks like a white plastic outlet?
Looks like the turbo is mounted too low to drain back into the engine's oil pan properly. Normally a turbo uses gravity to drain the turbo and will only work if the drain is higher than the engine's oil pan. The fabricated box is a little oil sump for the turbo and in previous pic there's an additional oil pump, presumably to get oil from the little sump to the engine sump.

Did you guys consider relocating the water pump and thermostat to the other side of the engine bay? We don't have a steering rack on that side and theres plenty of space for that stuff. Without the water pump and thermostat in the way that would open up a lot of space for a low mount
      06-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #139
RJ019
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Low Mount ST

Quote:
G'day Nugget.

Seen that and rejected.
Far from acceptable.
Too close to steering shaft and chassis rails.
An internal gated turbo option...no thanks.
I think this one uses DOCRace Kit and runs external waste gates... I heard that it was a pain as they had to stuff around with the original placement.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #140
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Looks like the turbo is mounted too low to drain back into the engine's oil pan properly. Normally a turbo uses gravity to drain the turbo and will only work if the drain is higher than the engine's oil pan. The fabricated box is a little oil sump for the turbo and in previous pic there's an additional oil pump, presumably to get oil from the little sump to the engine sump.

Did you guys consider relocating the water pump and thermostat to the other side of the engine bay? We don't have a steering rack on that side and theres plenty of space for that stuff. Without the water pump and thermostat in the way that would open up a lot of space for a low mount
Ahh yes, it looks like a small sump/oil pan
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 03:41 AM   #141
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Hi guys its a oil drain tank hooked up to a Weldon scavenger pump and yes its because of
the steering rack, the turbo sits to low and can't drain properly.

This turbo uses an external turbo waste gate, the exhaust is a work of art.

We looked at relocating the water pump but it doesn't really get in the way and by moving the pump to the
other side would be a much bigger headache and a plumbing nightmare.

The piping should be finished by the end of the long weekend and here is a sneek peek.
Attached Images

Last edited by martymil; 06-09-2017 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #142
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

JB4-335 You got me laughing. Mad at the fabricator, yes! :-)

135i - RHD Bottom Mount Single Turbo - GTX3584RS
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #143
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac View Post
ST is going to be more expensive until someone manufacturers kits in significant quantities, and probably from a low labour cost country. Unfortunately i can't see it happening for years and years and maybe never for rhd. We will need to pay a premium the foreseeable future. Happy to be proven wrong!
Yep. Expensive and its a bugger.

Multiple twin turbo JB failures make it not so expensive as pointed out by Socket on e90.

Do it right and do it once. My car is a keeper.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #144
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post

As Marty said, Aluminium oil scavenge tank with Weldon pump. I believe Porsche 996 Turbos uses them as do others.

Water pump relocation was considered on previous builds and this then given up due to the work and cost involved. There is AC, alternator, oil filter housingand power steering on the other side so not much room on front face of the motor.

Assuming you could successfully relocate the water pump, a front mid mount only allows for the same size turbo we have due to the steering rack. Engine tilt doesn't help. A benefit would be a short, straight run for compressor discharge to IC but I wouldn't be so happy with turbo sucking air from a low mount short filter. No driving on rainy days. Higher mount filter then requires a very tight bend for inlet.

RHD drive ST is all about the compromises.

Alternative water pump solution would be good though. :-)

Last edited by 135i2; 06-09-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #145
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndevil View Post
time has come again for me to ask...
my rear turbo took a shit...wastegate wont shut all the way to hold boost so...

will this ever be released as a kit? if so, got a ETA? if not... looks like i will OEM or pure stage 2s...

thanks!
Yes it will most definitely be released as a kit, what is unknown is an accurate delivery date.

Quote:
If we had wads of cash to throw at the fabricator it would get finished quickly but it would make the kit super expensive so he does it in his spare time
Myself and Mike have thrown wads of cash at the fabricator and the kit is already super expensive (lol), at least to get it to this point of completion.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #146
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ019 View Post
Good things come to who wait!

Is the fabricator making several parts for the kit at once? or will they be mass produced later?
The first one off kit being completed on Mike's 135i will be dyno/road tested and once we are happy everything is as it should be with proper results to back up the engineering solution, the kit will be removed, jigged up as necessary then replication will commence.

I have 1 customer locked in for the first production kit who is moving away from upgraded hybrids whilst I rebuild his motor following a cylinder 2 ring land failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #147
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
If you want value, buy twins of some sort. If you want twins that wont break in a hurry you need NOZ ball bearing turbos from JD75. Game changer with response, power and longevity.

The GCs, actually Zage turbos, are journal bearing and will still suffer from reliability issues despite making some good power. And fitting them to RHD is a bitch as Greg has discovered with his car. How long they last is luck and how far you are pushing them....just like any other journal bearing turbo offer. RBs make power, so do Pure, VTTs and others...but they all are designed to a price.
Just to clarify a few comments made by Mad Mike (lol), the current v1 dual ball bearing CHRA turbos are not going to offer earth shattering dyno results, they do however offer excellent spool speed/transient response and come with my "Premium" no brainer warranty which means should there by a reliability problem in the first 12 months of ownership I pay for the repairs not the customer.

For those guys that want power, reliability and superb after sales support the larger v2 BB CHRA will allow us to use bigger wheel sets combined with the much sought after Zage front and rear cast housings. These turbos ain't gonna' be cheap but they will offer the best of both worlds and should be the most rwkW capable twin turbo hybrid on the market with reliability to match. I will have a set of these NOZ Stage 3 BB turbos in hand very soon and will update my other product threads accordingly.

Thanks,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #148
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice stuff coming JD. Well done.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #149
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Looking forward to running the stage 3's on my 1m and racing the single on my 335 race car
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #150
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

As promised, should be done by the end of the month
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #151
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Intake track now finished

Just some water and oil lines to be done.

Be finished before you know it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #152
Orangee94
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55 DCT 2013

Quote:
Intake track now finished

Just some water and oil lines to be done.

Be finished before you know it.
God that intake manifold looks beautiful..

good to see theres companies making the engine bay pretty
      06-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #153
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Some more pics of the finished up pipe now of for powder coating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nugget649.50
      06-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #154
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Some more pics of the finished up pipe now of for powder coating.
Looks good.
Appreciate 0