BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #353
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Congrats, Randy. Did your dealer ever explain the extended delay? And the bigger question: will someone ask the moderator to burn this thread when you finally get your car?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #354
AZ-135is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Space Gray 135IS DCT

Time to close this thread. The IS is sitting in the garage.

For the issues I got the following:

$250 knocked off the deal
Windows tinted
Sunscreen
Completely black grills (no chrome rings around the grills)

So, maybe it was worth the hassle, cause that was a fair amount of extra's for something that was really out of the dealers control.

Of course, on the way home from dinner it rained on me (in the freakin desert no less). So I will not get pictures of it clean until I wash it myself!

Soooooo, the saga is over and life gets back to normal now....

Cheers all!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #355
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Alright! All IS's in their respective garages?!

How was that drive home in spite of the rain? I feel you Randy, it's rained 3 times in 6 days I've had my car. Sounds like, me, you, and Kouper will be cleaning ours up this weekend before their big reveal. THey're like debutantes getting ready for their coming out party.

Congrats and glad you stuck with it for a bit, totally worth it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #356
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive 28i

I'm late!!!! What happened?? Randy got his car?!! So stoked for you!
Goodbye 1addicts! I am enjoying my X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #357
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Yep, and Kouper and I put some fancy shmancy pics up of our beloved 135is cars in another fun thread you should take a look at when bored. It's in the photos forum, can't miss it, has Toreador in the name!

Hopefully soon we'll see some nice pics of Randy's 135is all cleaned up and ready for her coming out party.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #358
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

I came home yesterday and decided to wipe my windows of dust particles and whatnot and when I did that I noticed a quarter sized crack on my passenger side of the front windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!
Novus Glass just came out today to my work and fixed it. It's only been 15 days and I got a crack in my windshield. I guess the 405 had to break my car in sometime.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #359
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

That sucks. Hey, where are pics of yours with the tint on it? We gotta see our 1's big brother/sister the X1 in the flesh post tint.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #360
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Wow.. I just realized I never took any new pics after I got tint. Guess the crack in my windshield really bummed me out.
Will post soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #361
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBooBoo View Post
Wow.. I just realized I never took any new pics after I got tint. Guess the crack in my windshield really bummed me out.
Will post soon.

Name:  Photo May 28, 3 14 38 PM.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  213.2 KB

I have a tiny tiny regret for not going darker tint 20% because of my sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #362
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
The tint is growing on me and I'm feeling more at ease. While I wanted 35% and think that's typically ideal for the look I want, I also wanted one of the higher grade ceramic tint films to block out more heat/infrared, which only came in 30% and 40%.

I should probably read up on the wipers, too. Sadly, when leaving the gas station today, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to reset the trip odometer! I was trying to do it with the stalk, then reset everything with the main computer/screen, and was freaking out. Came home, looked it up, and duh, somehow, even though I looked and looked, I didn't see the lil black knob in the instrument panel all the way on the left. What's even sadder...I had a 2008 135i for 2.5 years, so you'd think I'd know.

It's like waking up with amnesia and having to learn everything all over again.
Greg-
How are you liking your tint? Today, I am actually feeling like it's too light at 35%. Am I being crazy???
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #363
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

It's grown on me and I think it's the right level of darkness. Only looks real dark at certain angles. I had 35% on my last car and thought it was the perfect level and if they made the higher grade ceramic tint I got in a 35, I'd have gotten that. I know if I got the 40, I'd be kicking myself.

Also, sometimes a 35% of one film may not be the same as a 35% of another, so really hard to tell.

Lucky for you, I've got the specs in front of me so if you are able to find the specs of your film, might help:

My old 35% let in 38% of the light
My new 30% lets in 32%, so is a little darker.
The 40% on mine would have let in 43% and would have been too light for me.

Anyways, you can always have it re-done if you want to go darker, just be careful, cause you don't want to regret then going TOO dark!

So you went 20% on the sunroof and 35 all around? or you wish you had gone darker on the sunroof as well? The good news is, you can always have it removed and redone. I have to have my back window redone cause I have a small fold/crease in it. So, I'll be driving back down to Costa Mesa to have that redone.

I also think you wanted an excuse to post here so this thread never dies.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #364
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's grown on me and I think it's the right level of darkness. Only looks real dark at certain angles. I had 35% on my last car and thought it was the perfect level and if they made the higher grade ceramic tint I got in a 35, I'd have gotten that. I know if I got the 40, I'd be kicking myself.

Also, sometimes a 35% of one film may not be the same as a 35% of another, so really hard to tell.

Lucky for you, I've got the specs in front of me so if you are able to find the specs of your film, might help:

My old 35% let in 38% of the light
My new 30% lets in 32%, so is a little darker.
The 40% on mine would have let in 43% and would have been too light for me.

Anyways, you can always have it re-done if you want to go darker, just be careful, cause you don't want to regret then going TOO dark!

So you went 20% on the sunroof and 35 all around? or you wish you had gone darker on the sunroof as well? The good news is, you can always have it removed and redone. I have to have my back window redone cause I have a small fold/crease in it. So, I'll be driving back down to Costa Mesa to have that redone.

I also think you wanted an excuse to post here so this thread never dies.
I have a little issue, maybe you can help with:

Service Appt#1: Get 35% tint installed. Loaner Car
Service Appt #2: (month later) change out back windows tint to 25%.Loaner
Service Appt #3: See bubbles in new tint. Return to replace tint. Loaner
Go to pick up my car and even take the loaner home overnight from appt #3 so that they can check every inch of the tint to make sure it's all good and I pick up the car and see a piece of lint stuck in my trunk window. WTF!!!

Now they are offering a free detail job and will replace tint on back but I already washed and detailed my car very recently. I am thinking about how else they can please me since I have to get yet another loaner (it will be my fourth in little over a month), and go back to BMW. This is crazy. What else should I ask for? Maybe I can get it detailed in the future?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #365
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Wow, what a hassle. Sorry to hear!

I'll let Greg weigh in, since he is the all-knowing "tint guru" but...

I'd ask for a complete detail at a future date. If they put an expiration date on it, make sure it is at least 6 months to a year out. Also, get it IN WRITING as to exactly which detail they will give you. Ask for their best one for all of your hassles (inside, outside, CLAY BAR, the works...). And get it in writing by name to make it clear (i.e. "one free 'Supreme" detail or whatever they call it on their price list.) Good luck.

P.S. -- You really just wanted to keep this awesome thread alive, didn't you KBB?!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #366
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Wow, what a hassle. Sorry to hear!

I'll let Greg weigh in, since he is the all-knowing "tint guru" but...

I'd ask for a complete detail at a future date. If they put an expiration date on it, make sure it is at least 6 months to a year out. Also, get it IN WRITING as to exactly which detail they will give you. Ask for their best one for all of your hassles (inside, outside, CLAY BAR, the works...). And get it in writing by name to make it clear (i.e. "one free 'Supreme" detail or whatever they call it on their price list.) Good luck.

P.S. -- You really just wanted to keep this awesome thread alive, didn't you KBB?!
haha! It is nice to ask you guys Q's. Funny... I don't even post in the X1 threads.

I might ask them for an accessory credit if they won't post date a detail.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #367
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Where are they doing the tint? BMW doesn't do it in house, so they're either having someone come and do them or taking it to some other shop. Annoying. I don't think any tint job will ever be 100% perfect. I think you'll always have between all the windows maybe one tiny piece of lint or tiny tiny bubble, but 99.9% of them should look good.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of hassle for tint! I'd take some nice accessories, maybe some fancy floormats, Kouper's favorite stainless steel pedals? If they make them for the X1? Tough call. I'd never have the dealer handle the tint, but then again I usually ask where they send the cars for the tint, so I can do my research on that place. I like the place I go to in Costa Mesa, so if they can't get it right, say, forget it, done trying with you guys, pay for this other place to do it and just take it there and get it done.

What a pain. Now I guess I should go celebrate National Splurge Day and get something nice for my baby.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #368
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Where are they doing the tint? BMW doesn't do it in house, so they're either having someone come and do them or taking it to some other shop. Annoying. I don't think any tint job will ever be 100% perfect. I think you'll always have between all the windows maybe one tiny piece of lint or tiny tiny bubble, but 99.9% of them should look good.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of hassle for tint! I'd take some nice accessories, maybe some fancy floormats, Kouper's favorite stainless steel pedals? If they make them for the X1? Tough call. I'd never have the dealer handle the tint, but then again I usually ask where they send the cars for the tint, so I can do my research on that place. I like the place I go to in Costa Mesa, so if they can't get it right, say, forget it, done trying with you guys, pay for this other place to do it and just take it there and get it done.

What a pain. Now I guess I should go celebrate National Splurge Day and get something nice for my baby.
BMW hooked me up with floor mats when I bought the car. Love them! Got a new keychain because they broke mine. Yay! Maybe they will give me accessories or a car detail before winter comes. I didn't know if I was being picky or not seeing that lint right in my back window. I saw more lint on the other windows just now but I can live with those. This back window lint will bug... I already know. I should have just done my own tint for $300. But I got to drive the new 2013 328 Msport and 528 as loaner cars. I have been to BMW so often I already recognize some of the workers.

How are everyone else's cars doing?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #369
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Ya, probably a bad sign when they all know you by name there.

At some point you may just get fed up and take to your own place. I wouldn't want them to just take my car and put on a tint without me thoroughly checking the tint, wanting to know which film it is, the percentage darkness, etc. and probably watching, too.

You need to get an X3 or X5 maybe as your next loaner, or maybe a 1-series to round out your set of loaners.

Where you at in terms of the darkness though? Happier? Same?

My car is excellent, finally had the Sirius activated cause the people at BMW are douchebags who don't tell you that if you don't get the premium package, while your car is equipped with the antenna and everything to get Sirius, it's hidden on the menu unless you pay them $500-600. Got a couple other lil coding things done as well (enable digital speedometer, remove idrive disclaimer/warning, and enable playing DVDs while driving), and splurged today and ordered some fancy custom floormats for $200.

So, she'll be complete soon and just hit 700 miles yesterday. Probably puts me at the lowest, huh? 110 of those miles sadly were to/from tint place the day after I got it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #370
KittyBooBoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ya, probably a bad sign when they all know you by name there.

At some point you may just get fed up and take to your own place. I wouldn't want them to just take my car and put on a tint without me thoroughly checking the tint, wanting to know which film it is, the percentage darkness, etc. and probably watching, too.

You need to get an X3 or X5 maybe as your next loaner, or maybe a 1-series to round out your set of loaners.

Where you at in terms of the darkness though? Happier? Same?

My car is excellent, finally had the Sirius activated cause the people at BMW are douchebags who don't tell you that if you don't get the premium package, while your car is equipped with the antenna and everything to get Sirius, it's hidden on the menu unless you pay them $500-600. Got a couple other lil coding things done as well (enable digital speedometer, remove idrive disclaimer/warning, and enable playing DVDs while driving), and splurged today and ordered some fancy custom floormats for $200.

So, she'll be complete soon and just hit 700 miles yesterday. Probably puts me at the lowest, huh? 110 of those miles sadly were to/from tint place the day after I got it.
700? Wow.. I am already over 2000 sadly. You are right... I should check out an X5 loaner. They are using 3M tint and I have my two front windows at 35% and back window and rear window at 25%. I must admit, it is dark looking out of my rear view mirror + my sunglasses + tint. I am still not used to to it but I am glad I went darker. I immediately felt that my car is alot cooler and the back seat looks like a cave. I wish I could sit back there. The 35% is good but I still felt very open, especially with the sunroof open.

Cool thing about the hidden menu!

I am very picky when it comes to this stuff with the car but honestly, I am not minding trying out all of these loaners.
Appreciate 0