BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Battery Replacement

Can't seem to find a bottom line on this. RealOEM comes back with something like six different batteries. I've read a bunch on amp ratings and cold crank amps, and reserve capacity.

I don't have any extra electrical equipment and don't think I need a huge 90ah battery. I was considering going the Braille lightweight option, but not crazy about the idea of needing to trickle charge it if I go out of town, or quite frankly, the price.

What's the minimum recommended cold crank amps we need for a stripper 1er? Minimum recommended reserve capacity?

Thanks in advance
      03-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Can't seem to find a bottom line on this. RealOEM comes back with something like six different batteries. I've read a bunch on amp ratings and cold crank amps, and reserve capacity.

I don't have any extra electrical equipment and don't think I need a huge 90ah battery. I was considering going the Braille lightweight option, but not crazy about the idea of needing to trickle charge it if I go out of town, or quite frankly, the price.

What's the minimum recommended cold crank amps we need for a stripper 1er? Minimum recommended reserve capacity?

Thanks in advance
Have you ever had any issues starting with your OEM battery/having it die on you? If not, it sounds like you want something comparable to your OEM battery and (possibly) going with an AGM (due to its slower discharge rate). For that I would suggest going with a group H6 AGM (the smallest battery size that fits our OEM mounting points). I wouldn't be too concerned with CCAs if you haven't had trouble starting in the cold and you live in "a warm place". The reserve capacity of most H6 AGMs I've seen are generally around the same ballpark of OEM.

To explain the different batteries offerings by BMW, they are different group sizes (H6/H7/H8) and type (lead acid vs AGM) combinations thus offering differing AH/CCA/RC combinations.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
Have you ever had any issues starting with your OEM battery/having it die on you? If not, it sounds like you want something comparable to your OEM battery and (possibly) going with an AGM (due to its slower discharge rate). For that I would suggest going with a group H6 AGM (the smallest battery size that fits our OEM mounting points). I wouldn't be too concerned with CCAs if you haven't had trouble starting in the cold and you live in "a warm place". The reserve capacity of most H6 AGMs I've seen are generally around the same ballpark of OEM.

To explain the different batteries offerings by BMW, they are different group sizes (H6/H7/H8) and type (lead acid vs AGM) combinations thus offering differing AH/CCA/RC combinations.

Hope that helps.
Fantastic. Thank you.

OK, so looking at H6-AGM batteries, are there a short list of brands that are best?

Thanks.
      03-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Fantastic. Thank you.

OK, so looking at H6-AGM batteries, are there a short list of brands that are best?

Thanks.
I have an AutoCraft (Advanced Auto) agm battery as well as others on the forum. It seems like people just go for what's close by/brand they trust since the warranty for most brands are almost the same and they are made by either Johnson Controls or East Penn.

DieHard, Interstate, Duracell, NAPA, EverStart etc. are some of the other brands.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
I have an AutoCraft (Advanced Auto) agm battery as well as others on the forum. It seems like people just go for what's close by/brand they trust since the warranty for most brands are almost the same and they are made by either Johnson Controls or East Penn.

DieHard, Interstate, Duracell, NAPA, EverStart etc. are some of the other brands.
Will look around. Thanks bud.