BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Juddingsss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Overtightened wheel stud conversion

Do you guys know how okay it is to overtighten wheel studs from a conversion kit? I know it's only supposed to be "hand tightened" to 25-30 lbs or so but I'm so used to feeling a definite click from a torque wrench. I didn't realize it had already clicked so I stripped the hex. I did this to all 5 studs of one wheel thinking I needed to tighten even more, but I realized my mistake on the last stud. The rest of the wheels are done right, I think. I could go back and redo it after work, but I was just curious if you guys know the science behind the torque specs for wheel stud conversion kits.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddingsss View Post
Do you guys know how okay it is to overtighten wheel studs from a conversion kit? I know it's only supposed to be "hand tightened" to 25-30 lbs or so but I'm so used to feeling a definite click from a torque wrench. I didn't realize it had already clicked so I stripped the hex. I did this to all 5 studs of one wheel thinking I needed to tighten even more, but I realized my mistake on the last stud. The rest of the wheels are done right, I think. I could go back and redo it after work, but I was just curious if you guys know the science behind the torque specs for wheel stud conversion kits.
Are you referring to the allen drive in the hose of the studs? Those don't take much torque to strip out so I don't think you have excessively over-torqued the studs. The 12mm studs can certainly take a lot more torque than 25-30 ft-lb.
Appreciate 0