Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Who has rebuilt/replaced LSD?

I have been toying with upgrading the LSD for a year or so, and alas my right rear output seal is starting to show some wetness. I have an excuse!!

Who has done this? What are your impressions?

MFactory, Diffs Online, Turner as vendor?

Multi clutch vs. Quaife vs. Helical vs. OS Giken?

Anyone change the final drive ratio?

Its pretty much a dedicated track car at this point, running tune with 450-480 ft-lb at the wheels. I'll probably plan to do this during the next offseason so I have some time to research.

Thanks in advance!

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you don't get any bites here, there has been active discussion about this over at M3post -- an example of this is:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359647

User dogbone in particular has dedicated an inordinate amount of time sweating the details of his build and unlike many, uses it regularly on track and shares the info with the other track rats, backed up with hard data.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=173
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      07-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Thanks!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
So after reading extensively from driftflo and dogbone over on e92 post, I am leaning heavily toward a custom OS Giken unit tuned by OS Giken and put into a rebuilt diff by Turner. I will go with a 3.23 gear which is SLIGHTLY taller than stock. I'll have them REM polish the gears and bearings. If I am going to do it, I may as well do it right.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
So after reading extensively from driftflo and dogbone over on e92 post, I am leaning heavily toward a custom OS Giken unit tuned by OS Giken and put into a rebuilt diff by Turner. I will go with a 3.23 gear which is SLIGHTLY taller than stock. I'll have them REM polish the gears and bearings. If I am going to do it, I may as well do it right.
Looking forward to hearing about the progression of this project!
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      07-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Interesting update, and new question:

I had a track day yesterday. I wanted to be certain that there was adequate fluid in the rear differential, and I'm approaching 60,000 miles so I went ahead and replaced both the transmission and the rear differential fluid last week. I was surprised that oil came out of the fill plug, meaning at the rear differential was not low on fluid at all. After filling it back up, I cleaned a small section of the axle hub immediately adjacent to the differential output so that I could see how much oil or wetness accumulated during my track day.

This morning, I was surprised to find that the small section I had cleaned remained completely spotless, no oil on it at all. The adjacent CV boot is also in excellent condition and doesn't show any moisture on it.

I see two options. First, maybe the oil that got onto the driver side axle hub where it joins the rear differential output came from something else, not even my car. That doesn't seem possible. The second option is that my previous fluid was old, differential got too hot, and some vapor managed to escape the seal, but with fresh fluid in there, no leakage is occurring. That would suggest that the driver side output seal is nearing the end of it's life, but there is no rush to rebuild. The LSD itself still seems to be functioning as it should. Thoughts?

I may not need to rebuild the diff this season after all, and it wasn't exactly in the budget. I have at least one more track day planned. I have now completely cleaned the entire axle hub and driver side of the differential, and will monitor it after each track day until I see fluid there again.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Interesting update, and new question:

I had a track day yesterday. I wanted to be certain that there was adequate fluid in the rear differential, and I'm approaching 60,000 miles so I went ahead and replaced both the transmission and the rear differential fluid last week. I was surprised that oil came out of the fill plug, meaning at the rear differential was not low on fluid at all. After filling it back up, I cleaned a small section of the axle hub immediately adjacent to the differential output so that I could see how much oil or wetness accumulated during my track day.

This morning, I was surprised to find that the small section I had cleaned remained completely spotless, no oil on it at all. The adjacent CV boot is also in excellent condition and doesn't show any moisture on it.

I see two options. First, maybe the oil that got onto the driver side axle hub where it joins the rear differential output came from something else, not even my car. That doesn't seem possible. The second option is that my previous fluid was old, differential got too hot, and some vapor managed to escape the seal, but with fresh fluid in there, no leakage is occurring. That would suggest that the driver side output seal is nearing the end of it's life, but there is no rush to rebuild. The LSD itself still seems to be functioning as it should. Thoughts?

I may not need to rebuild the diff this season after all, and it wasn't exactly in the budget. I have at least one more track day planned. I have now completely cleaned the entire axle hub and driver side of the differential, and will monitor it after each track day until I see fluid there again.
Splash from outside, probably when it was last serviced.

I honestly can't say I've heard many stories of needing to rebuild a BMW diff. At most, the friction components might need replacing. Even my old 1987 325is would grab enough to get right through snow when my GF's 325i wouldn't move an inch. The seals were definitely leaking on it, too
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Wetness is completely normal. Under warranty the dealership will not even make the repair.

There is a vent on the final drive unit and under a certain conditions it is normal for some oil/vapor to exit.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

My diff is in need of a rebuild. I've got play at both axles, similar to what has been documented on e46 m3 diffs.

Would love to know if anyone has experience rebuilding them, and if it's possible to get some technical info on our diffs? I've been looking for a while and have yet to come across anything. I'll either have to take it apart myself or try my luck with a used one. I'd love to upgrade to the diffsonline 3-clutch 30/90 but it's just so expensive, especially being in Canada and having to cover shipping as well
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #10
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonsalesman View Post
My diff is in need of a rebuild. I've got play at both axles, similar to what has been documented on e46 m3 diffs.

Would love to know if anyone has experience rebuilding them, and if it's possible to get some technical info on our diffs? I've been looking for a while and have yet to come across anything. I'll either have to take it apart myself or try my luck with a used one. I'd love to upgrade to the diffsonline 3-clutch 30/90 but it's just so expensive, especially being in Canada and having to cover shipping as well
I would call VAC and see what they recommend

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...-m3-p4363.aspx

also this: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359647

Last edited by PRTSB1M; 12-08-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #11
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What made you choose the 3.23 ratio?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:58 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN1CORM View Post
Quote:
What made you choose the 3.23 ratio?
Actually, after considering my power curve and optimal shift points, I think I would keep the original ratio if I had to do this. Fortunately, I do not yet have to do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #13
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, after considering my power curve and optimal shift points, I think I would keep the original ratio if I had to do this. Fortunately, I do not yet have to do this.
What are your thoughts about a 3.45 ratio? I mean the F8x M cars have the same transmission ratios as the 1M and BMW shipped those cars with a 3.46...

Do you think your preference is tied to your driving style?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What are your thoughts about a 3.45 ratio? I mean the F8x M cars have the same transmission ratios as the 1M and BMW shipped those cars with a 3.46...

Do you think your preference is tied to your driving style?
They have the S55 motor which revs so nicely to 7000 RPMs. With my tune and mid range torque, my optimal shift points are at 5900-6000 RPMs. I am topping out 5th gear at 140 mph. Any taller ratio out back would require me to use sixth gear at the track which would just be ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am topping out 5th gear at 140 mph. Any taller ratio out back would require me to use sixth gear at the track which would just be ridiculous.
This is on 275/35/18, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I am topping out 5th gear at 140 mph. Any taller ratio out back would require me to use sixth gear at the track which would just be ridiculous.
This is on 275/35/18, correct?
Correct, good point.

My Speedo reads in the upper 140's or close to 150. (too fast to look down and watch, LOL) GPS based speed in the M-Laptimer app shows 138mph correlating to 5900rpm in 5th gear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
PRTSB1M285.00
      02-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #17
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I may have sent a core to diffsonline to be rebuilt w/Drexler unit Can't wait to try it.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      02-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #18
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Looking forward to feedback! What led you to drexler?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #19
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to feedback! What led you to drexler?
Honestly, it’s what BMW put in the newer M cars. I’m more OEM+ than max performance. The OSG seems like a cool thing to play with, but I’d rather just set it and forget it. I chose their “no preload” setup, as it’s recommended for street/track and longevity.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      02-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #20
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep

I just sent mine to Dan to get the diffsonline 3-clutch lsd put in.

I tried to source parts and find some specifications to do it myself but there isn't much online. A local shop I go to even recommended sending it to Dan as he's so knowledgeable and offers a warranty on his work.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      02-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

I tried to source parts and find some specifications to do it myself but there isn't much online. A local shop I go to even recommended sending it to Dan as he's so knowledgeable and offers a warranty on his work.
Nice! I will also go with diffsonline when the time comes. Were you having issues with the diff, or just upgrading?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #22
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Nice! I will also go with diffsonline when the time comes. Were you having issues with the diff, or just upgrading?
The output flanges both had some play and it didn't feel quite right when driving hard.

The first sign that something was off was when I started getting a loud 'click' when taking off in first, which progressed to 'clicking' when accelerating and braking in most gears. Sounded like it could be a bad ball joint but that's when I found the play at the output flanges.
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2615.50
PRTSB1M285.00