BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 F30

BMW 135i Suspension

So I have a 2008 BMW 135i. It has around 115k miles on it, and my tires are starting to rub. Overall I can feel the car is not a tight and planted as before in general. My mechanic told me I needed new struts and shocks. The dealer told me for OEM replacement suspension it is around $2200. So now my question is what is the better option aftermarket or OEM? I daily the car and the roads where I live are terrible. So I want something that is good for daily driving but still firm for the good handling and what not. Also I don't think Ill have this car for more then 3 more years at the max. Let me know what's the best option here. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason1327 View Post
So I have a 2008 BMW 135i. It has around 115k miles on it, and my tires are starting to rub. Overall I can feel the car is not a tight and planted as before in general. My mechanic told me I needed new struts and shocks. The dealer told me for OEM replacement suspension it is around $2200. So now my question is what is the better option aftermarket or OEM? I daily the car and the roads where I live are terrible. So I want something that is good for daily driving but still firm for the good handling and what not. Also I don't think Ill have this car for more then 3 more years at the max. Let me know what's the best option here. Thank you.
that's about what I paid for my Ohlins coilovers, which are sublime. I installed 2 years ago in Ohio where the roads are terrible, and it's perfect for me. Firm but not harsh, and provide great ride quality but with control. Bought from Harold at HPA whom I highly recommend . he will steer you in the right direction.
      01-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #3
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
Quote:
that's about what I paid for my Ohlins coilovers, which are sublime. I installed 2 years ago in Ohio where the roads are terrible, and it's perfect for me. Firm but not harsh, and provide great ride quality but with control. Bought from Harold at HPA whom I highly recommend . he will steer you in the right direction.
Appreciate the response. I just don't know much about suspension set ups and all that. I don't know if I bought my car with an aftermarket suspension or not. To me it's a little bit to low and the ride is very harsh. Tires rub and every little bump feels a lot worse then it is lol
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

If you want to keep your suspension relatively straightforward/simple, there are a few options:

- It is unlikely you need to replace your springs at that mileage, have your mechanic check them for cracks or other signs of wear and decide
- You can simply replace the shocks with something like Koni FSD, or Bilstein B6. These will work fine with stock 135i springs and improve your ride and handling immensely compared to worn out stock shocks
- You should also replace all rubber / wear parts including strut mounts, this is relatively cheap. A few places sell replacement kits like this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...1306775098kt1/

The Ohlins are very nice as mentioned by the other poster, however they are a performance coilover and as per the price, not cheap. Depends what you are looking for.

There are cheaper "fixed" cup kits like Bilstein B12 that are a performance improvement and replace both shcoks and springs - tons of options for you to research. There are lots of threads detailing this...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
If you want to keep your suspension relatively straightforward/simple, there are a few options:

- It is unlikely you need to replace your springs at that mileage, have your mechanic check them for cracks or other signs of wear and decide
- You can simply replace the shocks with something like Koni FSD, or Bilstein B6. These will work fine with stock 135i springs and improve your ride and handling immensely compared to worn out stock shocks
- You should also replace all rubber / wear parts including strut mounts, this is relatively cheap. A few places sell replacement kits like this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...1306775098kt1/

The Ohlins are very nice as mentioned by the other poster, however they are a performance coilover and as per the price, not cheap. Depends what you are looking for.

There are cheaper "fixed" cup kits like Bilstein B12 that are a performance improvement and replace both shcoks and springs - tons of options for you to research. There are lots of threads detailing this...
I've been doing some research but there's so many options it overwhelmed me. My mechanic said I need new shocks and struts. So now i'm on here asking for advice lol
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

If all you want is to get OEM+ handling and ride, replace your shocks/struts with Bilstein B6. They have a good reputation, and are non-adjustable so just replace and forget. If you want even better handling and lowering, then you should consider adding lowering springs too, or going to a full coilover set, though this will have a bit firmer ride than just replacing shocks.

Also, what size are your wheels and tires? I don't think stock sizes will rub even with worn out shocks, so your bump stops are probably worn and need to be replaced too.
asbrr542.00
      01-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've been doing some research but there's so many options it overwhelmed me. My mechanic said I need new shocks and struts. So now i'm on here asking for advice lol
Understood. Then keep it simple - he said shocks and struts so that means the springs are fine. Buy some Bilstein B6 or Koni Special Active. They work well with your stock springs.

Buy the replacement kit I linked to - it contains all the small rubber parts that should be replaced when rebuilding struts and replacing shocks. Your total for parts will be less than $1000 with either of the options above I'd say.

Good luck.

EDIT: NOTE - I mentioned Koni FSD, these are now called Koni Special Active.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Here are some direct links, dig around for pricing this is just the parts/kit example.

Bilstein B4 - basic shock/strut replacement. Not a performance improvement, should be very close to stock:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par...space-1014lkt/

Bilstein B6 - high quality shock made to work with your stock springs. You will notice quite a bit of handling improvement and body control. It may feel "stiffer" in some situations:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein.../24-115926kt1/

Koni STR.T - similar to the B4, entry level stock replacement, can be made to work with a mildly lowered spring height.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par.../8750-1084kt1/

Koni Special Active - very good ride quality with reasonable performance improvement. I recommend these for a street driven car with stock springs:
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2020, 03:46 AM   #9
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
If all you want is to get OEM+ handling and ride, replace your shocks/struts with Bilstein B6. They have a good reputation, and are non-adjustable so just replace and forget. If you want even better handling and lowering, then you should consider adding lowering springs too, or going to a full coilover set, though this will have a bit firmer ride than just replacing shocks.

Also, what size are your wheels and tires? I don't think stock sizes will rub even with worn out shocks, so your bump stops are probably worn and need to be replaced too.
I would prefer the best handling I can get for the softest ride if that makes sense. The roads here are terrible so a soft ride with the most performance handling would be ideal if possible. That might not be an option truthfully I'm not sure. But I don't want the car to dive on braking or the back end to sink on hard acceleration. I don't remember off the top of my head but I want to say my front tires are 18x225 and my backs are 18x255
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:48 AM   #10
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Understood. Then keep it simple - he said shocks and struts so that means the springs are fine. Buy some Bilstein B6 or Koni Special Active. They work well with your stock springs.

Buy the replacement kit I linked to - it contains all the small rubber parts that should be replaced when rebuilding struts and replacing shocks. Your total for parts will be less than $1000 with either of the options above I'd say.

Good luck.

EDIT: NOTE - I mentioned Koni FSD, these are now called Koni Special Active.
Thank you for your help I appreciate it a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:50 AM   #11
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here are some direct links, dig around for pricing this is just the parts/kit example.

Bilstein B4 - basic shock/strut replacement. Not a performance improvement, should be very close to stock:

Bilstein B6 - high quality shock made to work with your stock springs. You will notice quite a bit of handling improvement and body control. It may feel "stiffer" in some situations:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein.../24-115926kt1/

Koni STR.T - similar to the B4, entry level stock replacement, can be made to work with a mildly lowered spring height.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par.../8750-1084kt1/

Koni Special Active - very good ride quality with reasonable performance improvement. I recommend these for a street driven car with stock springs:
I know this may sound stupid but if I buy the B6's and the replacement kit linked in the other post is that it? That includes struts and everything my mechanic will need? Sorry but I appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I suspect your goals are similar to what I had in mind when I replaced my shocks in November. Stuck with stock springs and went with Koni Special Active (I have had better experience with Koni than with Bilstein, but difference is really not meaningful in analytic terms). Used the ECS kit and it seemed to have everything that needed to be replaced.
I like ride and handling is slightly improved when I press it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know this may sound stupid but if I buy the B6's and the replacement kit linked in the other post is that it? That includes struts and everything my mechanic will need? Sorry but I appreciate the help
Yes - the ECS kit covers everything needed. Like the other poster mentioned, if ride is your priority then go for the Koni Special Active. The B6 will be a performance improvement first rather than a ride improvement - although since your shocks are blown any new shock will be a ride improvement.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:20 AM   #14
myoneseries
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Also, fcpeuro offers lifetime warranty on all parts. You can buy every single piece between them and ecs tuning. Usually they are very competitive in price and customer service is stellar at both companies.

I just replaced every single piece on my '08 for less than 1k in parts. To be honest the car has 135k miles and the only rubber bits that were trashed were the strut mounts and the bump stops.

If you search this forum you can find there are 2 strut mounts you could use, and all the differences between the B4, B6 and coil overs everyone has mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:23 AM   #15
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes - the ECS kit covers everything needed. Like the other poster mentioned, if ride is your priority then go for the Koni Special Active. The B6 will be a performance improvement first rather than a ride improvement - although since your shocks are blown any new shock will be a ride improvement.
Okay cool thank you. Would you say the B6 is a harsh ride quality? I'm trying to figure out which option I should go with.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:24 AM   #16
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoneseries View Post
Also, fcpeuro offers lifetime warranty on all parts. You can buy every single piece between them and ecs tuning. Usually they are very competitive in price and customer service is stellar at both companies.

I just replaced every single piece on my '08 for less than 1k in parts. To be honest the car has 135k miles and the only rubber bits that were trashed were the strut mounts and the bump stops.

If you search this forum you can find there are 2 strut mounts you could use, and all the differences between the B4, B6 and coil overs everyone has mentioned.
I appreciate the help. If you don't mind me asking how much were you charged to have all the work done?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Okay cool thank you. Would you say the B6 is a harsh ride quality? I'm trying to figure out which option I should go with.
Compard to the Koni FSD - yes they will be stiffer. Bilsteins will have very good body control over big bumps and dips - that's why they are more performance oriented. They are very "fast" shocks, you will feel the little bumps - that's why some people feel they are "harsh". I daily drive my car which has the Bilstein B12 kit (eibach springs with B8 dampers) - I'm ok with it but I expect the harshness.

The Special Active Konis will absorb the little bumps better - so it's a better shock for daily driving if you're in an area with very bad roads and you prioritize ride quality vs performance. This is not to say they are softer / not as performance oriented compared to stock shocks - they should be as good if not better on the performance front compared to stock shocks, just with a better ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #18
myoneseries
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoneseries View Post

I appreciate the help. If you don't mind me asking how much were you charged to have all the work done?
I did the work myself.

Sorry I can't be more help
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #19
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Most shops will charge between 6-7 hours to replace all shocks/struts & springs. Don't forget you will need a 4 wheel alignment also, usually around $100 - $120.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #20
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most shops will charge between 6-7 hours to replace all shocks/struts & springs. Don't forget you will need a 4 wheel alignment also, usually around $100 - $120.
Sorry for the late responses. Alright so my mechanic would prefer not to install coilovers so I'm just going to replace the shocks and struts. I'm stuck between Koni Special Active and the Bilstein. Like I said the roads are bad where I live but the car is also getting a stage 2 soon. So that's where i'm stuck w ride quality vs performance. I'm looking for something a little bit of both. Where the back won't sink on hard acceleration but is still some what comfortable not 110% performance uncomfortable ride quality. Once again thank you guys for everything. Been a lot of help.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #21
BrodyShuffles
Private
Rep

Also another question.. The Bilstein B4 is about $300-$400 in total. Cheaper then I had thought it would be. Are they a better alternative to the OEM shocks and struts? Or would you say the OEM are better? Got a final price from the dealership of $2000 OEM front and back installed. B4's are way cheaper then that but are they better or worse?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Also another question.. The Bilstein B4 is about $300-$400 in total. Cheaper then I had thought it would be. Are they a better alternative to the OEM shocks and struts? Or would you say the OEM are better? Got a final price from the dealership of $2000 OEM front and back installed. B4's are way cheaper then that but are they better or worse?
I'd say they are roughly equivalent. But if you're talking about looking for better body control/performance because you're increasing power on the car, then these should not be where you look.

The problem with suspension is it's very difficult to get everything, it's usually a case of "ride, handling, price - choose 2" type of decision.
Appreciate 0