BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #45
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [10.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed!
I ordered the full control arm set.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...m-upgrade-kit/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Front or rear M3 control arms?

Front are a very good upgrade. Will add a little NVH, but, well worth it. At least to me it was.

Rear - the guide rods are worth doing. Others not so much. Read the thread "OE vs M3 Rear Suspension Arms" by fe1rx in the stickies in this section and see what you think.

And holy hell that thread is long and in-depth. Some serious technical discussion. A few times folks asked for the 'low down' on whether the upgrade to M3 or other control arms in back was worth it. It seemed to depend. You're both saying the uppers are definitely worth it and the lower can be avoided to save a few bucks.

I ordered that kit. Now with the M3 RSFBs, new PS4S tires, and the control arm kit, what will the ride be like for a non-track person like myself?

My biggest complaint with the stock set up, like folks I think, is that the rear gets unstable over bumps and the ride is too firm/choppy (esp with the RFTs). I have the PS4S on now and already notice a vast improvement.

The suspension work is due to occur next week. While I have the control arm kit on order, I could really go either way.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862

Last edited by LuisBoston; 06-24-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #46
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
I ordered the full control arm set.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...m-upgrade-kit/

And holy hell that thread is long and in-depth. Some serious technical discussion. A few times folks asked for the 'low down' on whether the upgrade to M3 or other control arms in back was worth it. It seemed to depend. You're both saying the uppers are definitely worth it and the lower can be avoided to save a few bucks.

I ordered that kit. Now with the M3 RSFBs, new PS4S tires, and the control arm kit, what will the ride be like for a non-track person like myself?

My biggest complaint with the stock set up, like folks I think, is that the rear gets unstable over bumps and the ride is too firm/choppy (esp with the RFTs). I have the PS4S on now and already notice a vast improvement.

The suspension work is due to occur next week. While I have the control arm kit on order, I could really go either way.
And some serious research & testing in fe1rx's post!

As to the ride - it really depends how important comfort is to you. I think if you weren't too beat up with runflats and a stock suspension, with non-runflats and these mods you'll be happy.

I think someone mentioned doing the front M arms in 2 stages to see how you like it (doing the wishbones first). The problem that is that you need an alignment each time. Some will say maybe not with just the tension struts, but I don't think so. (FYI - the car will be nearly undriveable with the new front wishbones without an alignment or some stop gap fiddling with the tie rods.)
      06-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #47
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Hey OP, seems like you got the price and place sorted out. Asked Wile Motorsport and said they would charge about that same amount (~$900) for the job so what you got there is a discount. Does that include alignment? The front control arm upgrade to M3 variants DOES make a big difference, even on a non-track guy that you are. It makes turn-in more precise and gives you more confidence in spirited driving. I know because I did these all at once-RSFB, control arms and coilover upgrade. The MSport is not bad at all, but after the upgrade you WILL be able to tell the difference, in a good way that is!

The front control arm upgrade is an easy DIY, take it from me, I’m a novice at these things! I was able to replace the WHOLE front suspension on one side at one point in my tiny little garage/ storage area (live in an apartment complex).

I can’t say much about the rear arms and rods as that’s been a big debate as to the difference it makes. Sure, it does look good though back there w those M3 ones!

Good luck w your upgrades @LuisBoston!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #48
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Rear M arms make a big difference in the rear end "shuffle" you might feel over bumps.

I forget which one is the one that makes the most difference but I'm sure fe1rx's thread about the rear arms does conclude that not all replacements are really needed.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 04:46 PM   #49
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Rear M arms make a big difference in the rear end "shuffle" you might feel over bumps.

I forget which one is the one that makes the most difference but I'm sure fe1rx's thread about the rear arms does conclude that not all replacements are really needed.
guide rod
      07-02-2020, 11:02 PM   #50
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

The dealership's tech should have looked up the part numbers(realize they are M3 part numbers) and follow the proper instructions to install them.
Appreciate 0