BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Heading to Vandenberg AFB, CA next June

Greetings from Germany! I'm heading to Vandenberg AFB (aka Vandyland) next year for two month's retraining and noticed Santa Maria is nearby. I'll probably have BMW AG ship my 135i (being built this month ) out to BMW Santa Maria, so anyone living around that area that would give me a heads up on things to do, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
MarinJeff
The Stig
Rep
Drives: 135i

I grew up in the Santa Ynez Valley, right by Vandenberg. As a kid, I used to go to air shows there and even got a tour of the then being built but now defunct space shuttle facilities being built!

It's a beautiful area with a lot of great backroads for your 1!

As for what to do, it depends on your interests. If you like nightlife Santa Barbara is your best bet -- it's also quite beautiful and mediterreanian. If you like to wine taste, the Santa Ynez Valley has many great wineries. As for Santa Maria, I mainly went there to get provisions (Costco, etc.).

Cheers,
      09-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Jeff,

Much thanks for your ideas! I'm not too much into nightlife, but I'll take a look-see on it. Wine tasting sounds pretty good, I do enjoy a glass now and then... of course, Germany is wine country (literally)... so I hope I won't be disappointed. Lol @ Costco. I miss that place... haven't seen one in almost three years!

Regards,
Cris

Btw, if you're The Stig, BBC is going to want to know about this.
Appreciate 0