BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Alpine HID AE DIY?

Hey.. does anyone know if the diy for the Alpine HID H8 AEs are the same as the E90/E92?

Links below:

and

I would think it would be a bit different since our engine bays are a bit different.. anyone have the diy they can show me?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

both vids are for a M3 so it'll be totally different for the 1, since the E9x's are more similar to the 1 series a DIY for those models will help you better. when i had hid ae's i used this DIY, and really helped me http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363033 and the vid below...

of course the only thing different would be the headlight housings, if you bought the kit with headlight covers that have grommets installed already then it'll be pretty much self explanatory. if not then you have to notch the headlight covers, which is covered in this DIY vid...

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Got my 8k's today... thanks for the DIY!
      06-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Got my 8k's today... thanks for the DIY!
Very nice.. I am probably going to do mine this weekend.. to lazy on weekdays and to busy lol..

So just took a look at the install video.. first I must say I have a headache now.. the camera was shaking so much that you can't get a clear picture of anything lol..

Second off I couldnt tell which is the positive and neg cable since he skipped that part..

Also I have a few pieces that he didnt show on his video.. one is the I guess is a cylinder like the covers for the bulbs? I checked the E90 install diy and they dont even have that piece.. I'll probably take a photo..

I got my kit used.. did the new kits come with install instructions?

Last edited by M3Newbie88; 06-15-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Very nice.. I am probably going to do mine this weekend.. to lazy on weekdays and to busy lol..

So just took a look at the install video.. first I must say I have a headache now.. the camera was shaking so much that you can't get a clear picture of anything lol..

Second off I couldnt tell which is the positive and neg cable since he skipped that part..

Also I have a few pieces that he didnt show on his video.. one is the I guess is a cylinder like the covers for the bulbs? I checked the E90 install diy and they dont even have that piece.. I'll probably take a photo..

I got my kit used.. did the new kits come with install instructions?
I'm going to try to install mine today when I get home from work. I heard it takes anywhere from 45-90 minutes for the install.

The guy in the video sounded like he was out of breath the whole time, and yeah, the shakiness was annoying.

Not sure about the negative and positive cable. I checked the E90 DIY link, and it shows the positive and negative, but it doesn't look like anything I have, so I'm not sure.

The clear cylinders over the bulbs come off as well as the white ring around the bottom of the bulb.

No instructions with a brand new set.
      06-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to try to install mine today when I get home from work. I heard it takes anywhere from 45-90 minutes for the install.

The guy in the video sounded like he was out of breath the whole time, and yeah, the shakiness was annoying.

Not sure about the negative and positive cable. I checked the E90 DIY link, and it shows the positive and negative, but it doesn't look like anything I have, so I'm not sure.

The clear cylinders over the bulbs come off as well as the white ring around the bottom of the bulb.

No instructions with a brand new set.
I've installed many AEs before so it won't take me that long maybe 20 minutes or less.. but I just want to make sure I know what everything is.. I have another cylinder piece but its not the clear covers over the bulbs lol.. we will see.. I think the hardest part is actually putting back the passenger side cover back on since my hands arent small so its a tight fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I installed them last night and it took me about 2 hours or so. The N55 is weird, because it doesn't have a ground, so that kind of threw me off. Then when I plugged the whole wiring harness together, I realized that it must not need one. I had a black cylinder piece too, but it has like wires running into it that were sort of epoxied inside. Both sides of the N55 have a ton of room, I had no problems with putting the covers back on. I will take some photos this weekend. They look awesome! Night visibility is greatly improved. They are really white with a slight blueish tint when the car is unlocked or just started up.
      06-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Anybody have a solution to the left front light error code?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I installed HID angel eyes last night too. As bogart said there is plenty of room. I used some of the threaded mounts that are for the car to be RHD on the passenger side, and the driver side has the same for my grounding. We zip tied everything to other stuff versus taping or velcro just for easy removal if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
Anybody have a solution to the left front light error code?
No code for my kit
      06-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M135 View Post
I installed HID angel eyes last night too. As bogart said there is plenty of room. I used some of the threaded mounts that are for the car to be RHD on the passenger side, and the driver side has the same for my grounding. We zip tied everything to other stuff versus taping or velcro just for easy removal if needed.

No code for my kit
Yours had a ground? Was it a used kit? Mine didn't have one, but it was brand new from Alpine. I zip tied everything too. I don't trust the two-sided tape.

No codes for mine either.
      06-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yours had a ground? Was it a used kit? Mine didn't have one, but it was brand new from Alpine. I zip tied everything too. I don't trust the two-sided tape.

No codes for mine either.
Yes used, not sure if it was Alpine bought it from a member on this forum. I've had several aftermarket HID kits in other cars, and they have always had a seperate power lead and ground. The stock connecter was only for signal for on/off.

There is a main power input that is fused, that is then sent to a regulator. The regulator gives juice to both ballasts and ignitors. The regulator has a ground wire. The HID kit should basically power and ground itself independant of the stock light wiring and only grab signal from the stock wiring. Since stock wiring is for halogen that needs less voltage, it may likely fail if required to provide voltage needed for HID.
      06-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I installed them last night and it took me about 2 hours or so. The N55 is weird, because it doesn't have a ground, so that kind of threw me off. Then when I plugged the whole wiring harness together, I realized that it must not need one. I had a black cylinder piece too, but it has like wires running into it that were sort of epoxied inside. Both sides of the N55 have a ton of room, I had no problems with putting the covers back on. I will take some photos this weekend. They look awesome! Night visibility is greatly improved. They are really white with a slight blueish tint when the car is unlocked or just started up.
I am probably going to install on the weekend.. does the black cylinders 2 wires connect to anything?

Ya my car is a 2008 so the passenger side is super tight like in the diy video!!

and damn 2 hours.. what where you installing downpipes lol.. jk
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
I am probably going to install on the weekend.. does the black cylinders 2 wires connect to anything?

Ya my car is a 2008 so the passenger side is super tight like in the diy video!!

and damn 2 hours.. what where you installing downpipes lol.. jk
Um, it was in between the "regulator box" and the first ballast... not sure what it does.

Lol... I was taking calls and answering texts in between, and I really took my time, so it was probably more like 1 hour max with no distractions.

Kind of weird, but it has become my favorite part of the car.
      06-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I guess pictures are worth a thousand words..

Here are 3 parts I have questions about (yellow, green and orange).. where would each of these connect too?

Thanks for the help for the guys who already installed this.

1. Entire Setup (blue is neg, red is positive)

2. Yellow

3. Orange

4. Green

Just wanted to be sure because the videos weren't clear..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

so I found out from looking at the GB thread that the green section I circled is the ground fix for the passenger side.. anyone can tell me where the yellow and orange plugs go?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Mine looked a little different, but I'm going to try my best based on locations of a few items on mine... worst case scenario, you get a ground wrong, circuit isn't completed, and won't work until you fix the grounding, ya know?... so

Blue = Positive (Power) if on passenger side
Red = Negative (Ground) for passenger side... if on passenger side
Yellow and Orange = Plug into one another (red to red, black to black)
Green = Negative (Ground) for driver side... if on driver side

Hopefully that makes sense.

You probably already know this, but make sure you don't touch the bulbs at all if at all possible, and handle the black base with gloves (I used the mechanix gloves that you can get at any parts store). Also, when you remove the clear plastic cylinders, you may have to make an adjustment to the orange gaskets around the base of the bulbs. I had to stretch mine down and around the lip at the base... if that makes sense.
      06-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mine looked a little different, but I'm going to try my best based on locations of a few items on mine... worst case scenario, you get a ground wrong, circuit isn't completed, and won't work until you fix the grounding, ya know?... so

Blue = Positive (Power) if on passenger side
Red = Negative (Ground) for passenger side... if on passenger side
Yellow and Orange = Plug into one another (red to red, black to black)
Green = Negative (Ground) for driver side... if on driver side

Hopefully that makes sense.

You probably already know this, but make sure you don't touch the bulbs at all if at all possible, and handle the black base with gloves (I used the mechanix gloves that you can get at any parts store). Also, when you remove the clear plastic cylinders, you may have to make an adjustment to the orange gaskets around the base of the bulbs. I had to stretch mine down and around the lip at the base... if that makes sense.
Perfect thanks.. makes total sense now haha.. and yes I've handled 3 different types of AEs so ya I know bout being careful with the bulb..

I love forums.. hopefully there are no issues with my install on the weekend lol.. and I hope it won't take me a long time lol..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #18
hongi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I got light bulb error too. It appears just only 15 sec every time i start up the car.
I think i connect every wire correctly. My kit doesn't have ground wire too.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #19
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongi View Post
I got light bulb error too. It appears just only 15 sec every time i start up the car.
I think i connect every wire correctly. My kit doesn't have ground wire too.
Yup that's my error - I tried PMing Alex@Alpine twice but never got a response .
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
hongi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup that's my error - I tried PMing Alex@Alpine twice but never got a response .
same here never got both email and pm back from him.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmm interesting.. I know there is coding that can remove AE errors lol.. but obviously someone would have to test that out.. if I get this error when I install mine I will do it and let you guys know since i can code

But of course if there is a resolution from Alex@Alpine then thats even better.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #22
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I will PM you guys his # when I get into work this morning.