BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Service Light being RED

Hi guys, to ask a question, I need to tell my story here. I bought my car (128i auto) back in August as a brand new with 130 miles which was hard since BMW stopped the production way back. Anyway, when I was doing the document work, I found out that warranty start date was 12/2012, so I asked about that and they said they recorded in-service date (when they received the car from the factory), the warranty had to start. It didn't make sense to me since I'm the first buyer and definition of in-service date sounds a bit confusing. However, they got me extended warranty (the highest one) up to the point when my warranty would've ended if I got the full length of original one, so I took that. I've driven it since august for like 4 months, but then again it seems like all the service record started December just like how the warranty started, so brake fluid and engine oil light is being red right now. I changed the engine oil after I hit 1,500 miles (3,000 miles so far), so that is not concern even though a dealer that I went to do that didn't reset the service record. The problem is brake fluid service light. Basically, computer reads it as I've been driving 2 years since "in-service date" started back then, but I only drove 4 months tho, so is it worth changing that? (you need to change it no matter how long you drove since computer tells you) or can I wait out like next year and do that? (yes, you can since you change that every two years assuming the fact that you drive 30,000 miles, so you have more to go).

Also, what should I tell them to reset the service period? I told them to reset the engine oil service light for me last time and they didn't do that or is it something that I can do manually?

Last question, does service light being red hurt the car in my case?

thanks guys. I'm basically like dumb to these stuff. forgive me for ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
SNOOPYJC1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128I

Hey Dude,
Service date for warranty is actually started the day you take ownership of the vehicle. Don't know why they would start it unless it was ordered and not delivered due to financial issues. That really doesn't sit right with me. I hope the warranty they gave you was not charged to you for it. And as for the service intervals, have them reset and change them immediately. Yhey can basically use it against you when you bring it in for service at another dealership because it may not register worldwide. I used to work for a dealer processing warranty for Mercedes Benz and that sometimes became a serious issue for some owners. Hope that I provided some clarity. Also the red light is never a good thing. Something is wrong with your car. Get it looked at immediately.

Snoop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

It's still covered by free maintenance. Why would you ever not do something that's free?

Anything indicated by the computer within the free-maintenance interval will be free. Unfortunately, when you bought the car you may have argued for the incomplete recompense for the in-warranty date problem.
The warranty is one thing, the free 4yr/50k maintenance is another. Fluids, filters, brakes etc are covered under maintenace, not warranty.
From what you've stated, it seems like you should have gotten your 1.5k oil change free because it was more than a year from the in-service date. (no CBS reset for the "low mile" annual oil change)

Might want to ask for some clarification from your dealer or contact BMW NA and explain the situation. From everything I've ever read, warranties always start when the car is first sold unless it was used as a "loaner" at the dealership.
      11-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPYJC1 View Post
Hey Dude,
Service date for warranty is actually started the day you take ownership of the vehicle. Don't know why they would start it unless it was ordered and not delivered due to financial issues. That really doesn't sit right with me. I hope the warranty they gave you was not charged to you for it. And as for the service intervals, have them reset and change them immediately. Yhey can basically use it against you when you bring it in for service at another dealership because it may not register worldwide. I used to work for a dealer processing warranty for Mercedes Benz and that sometimes became a serious issue for some owners. Hope that I provided some clarity. Also the red light is never a good thing. Something is wrong with your car. Get it looked at immediately.

Snoop
The extended warranty I got was free of charge, but listening to you about the fact that the date should've started the day I purchased, I really need to contact BMW I guess. I will be going there on next monday then.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
It's still covered by free maintenance. Why would you ever not do something that's free?

Anything indicated by the computer within the free-maintenance interval will be free. Unfortunately, when you bought the car you may have argued for the incomplete recompense for the in-warranty date problem.
The warranty is one thing, the free 4yr/50k maintenance is another. Fluids, filters, brakes etc are covered under maintenace, not warranty.
From what you've stated, it seems like you should have gotten your 1.5k oil change free because it was more than a year from the in-service date. (no CBS reset for the "low mile" annual oil change)

Might want to ask for some clarification from your dealer or contact BMW NA and explain the situation. From everything I've ever read, warranties always start when the car is first sold unless it was used as a "loaner" at the dealership.

So basically, I'm getting 4 year maintenance as it is then? Yes, I got free oil change for 1,500 miles. so I'm getting 3 more free oil change right? I'm just confused. I gotta contact BMW USA for real.
Appreciate 0