BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
mtowle182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Alright so the N54 got replaced because of its issues. That should give you an idea. They are amazing motors. The n54 has twin turbos while the N55 has a single twin scroll turbo which was implemented after 2010. Same stock power output but the N55 is much more reliable. The common issues with the N54 is the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) they are known to go bad at random times. Sometimes frequently and sometimes not so much. I've seen stories where people have gone through 4 in less than 5k miles. The problem is there is no symptoms of it failing it just does and leaves you stranded. I don't know how reliable the turbo chargers are. The waste gates are known to rattle and eventually break and I think bmw did a recall on all N54 motors. It also may have a water pump issue like the n52 (128i and 328i motor). But if it was already replaced then it might not be an issue anymore. It's all about finding one that's in good shape. I know 335 owners with the N54 who have done 100k with no issues. It's the luck of the draw. If reliability is a big concern for you then I'd suggest a later model 135 or the 128. Hope that helped.
n55 has same issues with hpfp though still though right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #24
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

They both use the same pump. There have been several revisions. The latest pump along with a software update to prime the system before attempting to start the motor seems to have made the problem "go away". This solution was brought about right around the time the n55 hit the street so it has benefited from it as well. There are usually symptoms like long cranks before they fail although not always.

N54 pump:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=13&fg=15

N55 pump:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=13&fg=15

Wastegate actuator arms and pivots were revised for later n54 motors and I believe they are thicker and less prone to warping and wearing out. I don't think they are rattle proof though. Realoem doesn't show the old turbo part numbers but does show that the lock rings for the arm went from 6mm to 8mm.

Overall the N54 didn't get replaced because of issues it got replaced because a revised motor was created in the N55. N55 is a newer design it is designed to be more fuel efficient and cheaper to manufacture. There is nothing inherently wrong with either motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #25
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowle182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Alright so the N54 got replaced because of its issues. That should give you an idea. They are amazing motors. The n54 has twin turbos while the N55 has a single twin scroll turbo which was implemented after 2010. Same stock power output but the N55 is much more reliable. The common issues with the N54 is the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) they are known to go bad at random times. Sometimes frequently and sometimes not so much. I've seen stories where people have gone through 4 in less than 5k miles. The problem is there is no symptoms of it failing it just does and leaves you stranded. I don't know how reliable the turbo chargers are. The waste gates are known to rattle and eventually break and I think bmw did a recall on all N54 motors. It also may have a water pump issue like the n52 (128i and 328i motor). But if it was already replaced then it might not be an issue anymore. It's all about finding one that's in good shape. I know 335 owners with the N54 who have done 100k with no issues. It's the luck of the draw. If reliability is a big concern for you then I'd suggest a later model 135 or the 128. Hope that helped.
n55 has same issues with hpfp though still though right?
Not that I know it. I believe that that issue was corrected with the N55 release. N55 is pretty bulletproof
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #26
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

... and that is called "spitting in the eye of the Gods"

Last edited by mr.fabulous; 12-07-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #27
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
First post from me, very new here (been on UUC for 15yrs, some of you may know me). Purchased a 2011 135i just this past Tuesday to use as a daily driver. Had to travel 500 miles to get it as I need a stick and they're very difficult to find. I understand I can't keep up with the 7-speed DCT, don't care. The thing for me with a MT is the car slows down when I take my foot off the gas, not so with an AT. That might seem silly, but driving an AT makes me crazy for that reason alone. Me. Need. Stick.
DCT in manual mode will give you all the engine braking you desire and is equivalent to MT since the clutch is fully engaged.

DCT in Sport-Auto mode, will downshift and engine brake if you brake hard on the brakes. Typical scenario from my commute home: 70 MPH on highway, exit ramp comes, hit brakes relatively hard, DCT auto downshifts to 3rd gear, holds 3rd the whole way through the off ramp even while I accelerate.

This is my first non-MT car and I love the DCT. Superior to MT in everyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Sounds pretty nice (seriously). But just this evening I'm driving my 90yo dad out for Thai and listening to me shift (windows open), and I'm sorry, but that's music. I love my new (to me) car, this thing is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #29
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by potxoli View Post
DCT in manual mode will give you all the engine braking you desire and is equivalent to MT since the clutch is fully engaged.

DCT in Sport-Auto mode, will downshift and engine brake if you brake hard on the brakes. Typical scenario from my commute home: 70 MPH on highway, exit ramp comes, hit brakes relatively hard, DCT auto downshifts to 3rd gear, holds 3rd the whole way through the off ramp even while I accelerate.

This is my first non-MT car and I love the DCT. Superior to MT in everyway.
The dct is very nice indeed. Although I would not say it's superior in every way. It's personal preference. I drive 6MT everyday, and on the track. The dct is better for novice drivers since the rev matching and shifts are done by a computer. For someone looking for a better driving expirience, the 6MT is far more involved and more fun to drive in my opinion. With that said, I'd like to have the dct for daily driving. I think the dct is a compromise. To the OP, if you buy the standard automatic car, you will eventually hate it. Get the dct if you want that convenience.

There is nothing wrong with tuning the n55, just not a lot of options if your 2012+.
      12-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #30
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
The dct is very nice indeed. Although I would not say it's superior in every way. It's personal preference. I drive 6MT everyday, and on the track. The dct is better for novice drivers since the rev matching and shifts are done by a computer. For someone looking for a better driving expirience, the 6MT is far more involved and more fun to drive in my opinion. With that said, I'd like to have the dct for daily driving. I think the dct is a compromise. To the OP, if you buy the standard automatic car, you will eventually hate it. Get the dct if you want that convenience.

There is nothing wrong with tuning the n55, just not a lot of options if your 2012+.
Agree, obviously MT is fun and if you like it, then by definition it is the best . I miss not having an MT and am looking at a second fun project car just to have one again (maybe an e30).

When I said superior, I meant on a objective basis on the actual mechanics of shifting gears machine vs human. DCT shifts faster, can hold the exact gear you want etc. There is a reason F1 hasn't had MT for a long time. Doesn't mean you'll like it necessarily.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #31
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post

DCT is for novice drivers? I had a good chuckle over that statement.
That being said there's nothing like a perfect heal/toe downshift with a manual.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #32
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Everyone has their own preferences! I like the control with the 6MT, heel toe, rev matching, etc.