BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Do I Need to Raise Headlights After Lowering?

Or does the self-leveling function during start up take into account differences in height?
      11-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think it will adjust automatically. I know I just put on coilovers on my 08' and they adjusted automatically. The leveling sensor is connected to the strut area so I think it will equate for it
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
It adjusts automatically.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

How much did you lower by? I had to adjust mine.
      12-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It depends on/IF your new springs have any "rake" to the car. IF they lower your car level, then no adjustment is necessary. But its always a good idea to "check" your headlight's aiming.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I took my car to the dealer to check/adjust my headlight aim after having the BMW Performance suspension with the yellow Performance springs installed. Even though the drop is supposed to be only 10mm, a slight adjustment was necessary. I notice the difference at night since I got the adjustment, so it's worth it to me but I'm extremely picky.
      12-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I dropped mine an inch all the way around. I couldn't see the speed limit signs until I was almost on them. The road was only lit up about 20ft in front of the car. Felt real dangerous driving at night. Hit a couple road kill and potholes cause there just wasn't enough time to react at 55 once I saw them. Had the dealer adjust 3 times. They said they couldn't do any more or the high beams would be screwed up. So I took it home and turned them on my garage doors and raised them just a little bit with the adjusting screws and went for a drive. Ended up being to much and went back and did the same thing adjusting them down until it sat perfect for me on the drive. Took about 3 times. Haven't touched them since.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

This^^^^. I think the leveling feature does just that. If you drop the car a significant amount but don't change the "rake" why would the auto leveling help at all? A lot depends on where and when you drive whether you notice it or not. In town, may not be a problem. Sounds like it could be if you live in a place without many street lights, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Got mine checked after installing Eibach pro kit springs and pro dampers, they were spot on with no adjustment needed.
      12-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

If I go to the dealer to tell them my lights are too low will they charge me to adjust them? My car is stock but since I've had it I felt the lights point way too low, they light up to only 20ft or so in front of my car, and I usually have to use my high beams on darker roads...something i didn't have to do with my older cars with weaker halogen lights. My headlights are so low they didn't light up someone crossing the road in my neighborhood (luckily I had seen him in the moonlight before it was too late). BTW I have the Adaptive headlights if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
If I go to the dealer to tell them my lights are too low will they charge me to adjust them? My car is stock but since I've had it I felt the lights point way too low, they light up to only 20ft or so in front of my car, and I usually have to use my high beams on darker roads...something i didn't have to do with my older cars with weaker halogen lights. My headlights are so low they didn't light up someone crossing the road in my neighborhood (luckily I had seen him in the moonlight before it was too late). BTW I have the Adaptive headlights if it helps.
I'm guessing If your out of warranty then yes they will. That's about how mine we're too. Lots of woods up here and was really hoping a deer wasn't just standing in the road. I have no expert knowledge of how the headlights work but they explained it as if there was a shudder or door that moved when you put the high beams on magnifying it. They made it seem like they can do a little adjustment with the computer or whatever machine they hook it up to. Then they have a wall or screen they put in front of the car with lines on it that they adjust the beam too. Like I said. I'm no expert. Just regurgitating how I interpreted their explanation. That's when I went home and pretty much did the same thing with the adjusting screws since I knew the dealer had already confirmed the left to right position. I was under warranty still then and paid for an alignment check so they didn't charge me.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Adjusting the up/down yourself is pretty easy, not something I would do at the dealership, especially if out of warranty.

Basic steps: Park 20 feet away from a flat wall on a level surface. Measure distance from ground to low beam on car. For Xenons: adjust headlights using vertical adjustment screw (white cog on top of the headlight) so that the cutoff is ~.5 lower than the headlight height.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I definitely think mine need to be adjusted. I can tell I cannot see as far now that I've put the car on Eibachs.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
I'm guessing If your out of warranty then yes they will. That's about how mine we're too. Lots of woods up here and was really hoping a deer wasn't just standing in the road. I have no expert knowledge of how the headlights work but they explained it as if there was a shudder or door that moved when you put the high beams on magnifying it. They made it seem like they can do a little adjustment with the computer or whatever machine they hook it up to. Then they have a wall or screen they put in front of the car with lines on it that they adjust the beam too. Like I said. I'm no expert. Just regurgitating how I interpreted their explanation. That's when I went home and pretty much did the same thing with the adjusting screws since I knew the dealer had already confirmed the left to right position. I was under warranty still then and paid for an alignment check so they didn't charge me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhalo View Post
Adjusting the up/down yourself is pretty easy, not something I would do at the dealership, especially if out of warranty.

Basic steps: Park 20 feet away from a flat wall on a level surface. Measure distance from ground to low beam on car. For Xenons: adjust headlights using vertical adjustment screw (white cog on top of the headlight) so that the cutoff is ~.5 lower than the headlight height.
Good info thanks guys, yeah forgot to mention my car is still under CPO warranty till next July, even has the Extended Maintenance Plan too (but it seems pretty useless lol). Even still I think I'll just adjust them myself and save a trip to the dealer, my local BMW dealer doesn't have a really good reputation either so rather just avoid them for small stuff like this.
Appreciate 0