BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
scott_b
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I test drove a M235 last week. I really wasn't that impressed. It was very nice and a good driving car and IMO, it is a better looking car than the 1series. But I thought it was a bit too refined and didn't have the character that I feel the 135 has. The only option it had that I wish were on my 135 was a heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #24
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Buy the 2. It has that new car smell that you just can't replicate with Fabreeze. The 2 provides all that great plastic gassing, which fogs up your windows and gives you those pleasant migraines. I forgot to mention the malformed sperm.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

If you want a real sports car get one of these:

http://us.caterhamcars.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #26
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I believe that the 2 series is the best car BMW manufactures at this time, and I can understand it's appearance on the various all-star and ten best lists. What I don't understand is why the 1 series never got any recognition or even respect except in Road and Track. I think that in the future the 1 series will finally get the respect it deserves and those who traded them in on 2's will regret the move. Hang on to your 1; I'll be keeping mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #27
harryn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sp, 95 M3, 94 M-Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry View Post
I believe that the 2 series is the best car BMW manufactures at this time, and I can understand it's appearance on the various all-star and ten best lists. What I don't understand is why the 1 series never got any recognition or even respect except in Road and Track. I think that in the future the 1 series will finally get the respect it deserves and those who traded them in on 2's will regret the move. Hang on to your 1; I'll be keeping mine.
The 1 series is coming back in the near future as a WRONG wheel drive (read: front wheel drive). It will use the similar suspension and driveline dynamics as the BMW Cooper, but will carry the roundel instead. So if you have a 1 series with RWD now, and manual, and M sport package, SAVE IT. If you have a 1 series in RWD in general, save it still. BMW accidentally made the 1 series RWD car a classic (IMO).

The 2 series is great and all, but not worth getting until a few years from now when it will cost what it should really cost. My only gripe is why the 2 series got the LSD and only the 1M got it and not the rest. To add insult to injury, BMW made the mechanical LSD for the 2 series only cost $400. I wish there was a way to see if the 2 series diff matches up to the 1 series diff in terms of dimensions and half-shaft connection points. If so, I'm slapping one in my car and waiting for the 2 series to hit the carwash discount bin.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
I test drove a M235i last month and the stock suspension is miles ahead of what my 2008 135i came with. After just two months I took my 1 to the dealer and had the PS installed, much better then. If the 1 had come with a better stock suspension then reception would have been different.
My modded 135i feels better than the M235i and I still don't want to part with it, the thrill isn't gone.

Randy Pobst did good reviews of the 135i and M235i.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIz9T3k8UM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPy0T3Fojt0
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #29
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

You sorta answered your own question. You don't like the 2, and love the 1 -- no brainer. What I don't like so much is the lease u got going...at least not on the 128. If u want different-but-the-same look at the market for a 135. U can get a good deal, low miles "bought" for under 25k...easy.

More power and playing options for what u already love?? Yup yup!
      12-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #30
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep

Question Huh?

Quote:
When the One first appeared on the scene it received all the hoopla the Two is currently getting. In fact, Consumer Reports raved about the One in exactly the same way it recently did about the Two.

In reality, the One and the Two are equivalent cars. The only difference is the One was fattened up to make a Two.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #31
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSG View Post
When the One first appeared on the scene it received all the hoopla the Two is currently getting. In fact, Consumer Reports raved about the One in exactly the same way it recently did about the Two.

In reality, the One and the Two are equivalent cars. The only difference is the One was fattened up to make a Two.
I forgot about Consumer Report being positive about the 1. I do not think the 1 and 2 are equivalent cars. Hydraulic versus electric assist steering, real versus synthesized engine sounds, compulsory I-Drive, having to purchase the technology package to get oil temperature, etc.. The M235i does how ever come with non run-flat tires and you can get a real LSD on the 2. I ditched the run-flats and do not track the car so a real LSD while nice would not be worth the cost to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #32
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSG
Quote:

This is true, the differences between the 135 and the 235 are the same as the differences between the e90 and f30. Yet no one likes the f30 better, so I guess BMW's marketing ploys are working.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot about Consumer Report being positive about the 1. I do not think the 1 and 2 are equivalent cars. Hydraulic versus electric assist steering, real versus synthesized engine sounds, compulsory I-Drive, having to purchase the technology package to get oil temperature, etc.. The M235i does how ever come with non run-flat tires and you can get a real LSD on the 2. I ditched the run-flats and do not track the car so a real LSD while nice would not be worth the cost to me.
It always amazes me that people think these trivial differences are important enough to pony up $50K+ for a car.

Also you don't have to purchase the technology package to discover if the engine is going to get fried. BMW will have a big red light to warn you, or a mallet will appear from behind a door in the dash and bop you on the head!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #34
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I noticed they now have pricing for the M235 Convertible on the BMWNA website.
So I went out there to price up a new one optioned the same as my 135 vert.

The sticker on my car, the only options being the package that included leather seats and a few other goodies, XM radio and cold weather package, was about $50k. I negotiated a deal but then you add sales tax, reg, etc. and I was back to just under $50k.

Optioning the M235 vert essentially the same way was about $52.5k. As it worked out the way the option packages work now it saves me a few dollars (i.e. XM is included in the package and the car even includes a windscreen that I had to buy extra).

So that's not bad really, maybe a $2500-$3000 increase fom my 135i in 2012 to the M235 now optioned the same way in 2015.

So if they gave me $25-$30k for my car I'm looking at $20-$25k out of pocket to upgrade. My car is in great shape and I baby it so I'm not sure its worth it.
      12-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #35
byebyemyti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318ti, 128 convertible

I have decided to keep my 1. I absolutely love it and am happy with my decision. (I bought it off lease for 2500 less than the residual which i think is decent. Comparable cars were listed at about 5k more on the market, let alone upgrades to a 135.) At 10k miles, it still smells new and I obviously know what good care I have taken of it over the 3 years.

I found myself contemplating the boxster more than I did the 2. I think when I part with my 1, it will be for a porsche. For now though, I am still thrilled every time I take the car out so spending more $ didn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #36
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Wise choice. I'm keeping my '08 128i with 90,000 miles for as long as I can. I'm betting total cost of ownership over the next few years will be less than trading it in and buying a brand new 2er. Of course if/when I do get around to sell it I may get less than what I could fetch due to depreciation but I'll review my options at that time. Its a 6SPD MT with sports package and after reading some recent posts about how popular and rare this configuration is amongst enthusiasts looking in the used market I'm hoping I won't take a bath on selling it later.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #37
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Screw the money, a few $grand at this price point is meaningless. Follow your heart.
Appreciate 0