BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Water/Methanol injection info thread

I thought I would start this thread for any meth posts. I know there's alot of us that are interested and want to know more about certain things with running methanol/water injection. One major advantage is that water will cool charge temps and methanol will raise octane levels to supress knock/Detonation. If you need to understand a little more about knock see the link below.

http://www.dnd-automotive.com/tuneup/spark-knock.htm

Last edited by JB4-335; 01-13-2012 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Actually it is quite common in the US and other cold climate countries for off the shelf windscreen washer solutions to contain methanol up to about 50% as an anitfreeze additive. Therefore the plastic in the washer bottle would be selected by BMW to withstand methanol.

Certainly the washer bottle solution is not the ideal one in terms of capacity and shared with the windscreen washer, but if you are after a Meth solution that can be installed/removed very quickly, the washer bottle is the best for that hands down. If you are happy for a more in depth install, a seperate tank is the way to go.

I am pretty sure all the meth solutions could be configured either way. I know the Vishnu option can be.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the info Adrian.
I also read about that window washer fluid contains methanol.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Have a funny story... Whenever I mentioned to my wife I wanted 'meth' she really didn't want me to get it. I thought she just didn't want me to spend money on the car... Anyways, I was talking to her tonight about it, and turns out, she thought I was spending $700 on a bottle of meth. As in, she thought that it was like an additive to the petrol and the bottle worth of 'meth' was worth $700!

Well that was an interesting conversation! Now she is cool with it. And understands that 'meth' doesn't just mean the liquid...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Have a funny story... Whenever I mentioned to my wife I wanted 'meth' she really didn't want me to get it. I thought she just didn't want me to spend money on the car... Anyways, I was talking to her tonight about it, and turns out, she thought I was spending $700 on a bottle of meth. As in, she thought that it was like an additive to the petrol and the bottle worth of 'meth' was worth $700!

Well that was an interesting conversation! Now she is cool with it. And understands that 'meth' doesn't just mean the liquid...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thats a great story Richard. The wives are quite funny when it comes to mods. My wife loves the power that the car produces and asks me why do you need it to go any faster. I didn't really have a good answer but you guys know what it's like you get mods then after a while you get use to the power and feel like you need more.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Actually it is quite common in the US and other cold climate countries for off the shelf windscreen washer solutions to contain methanol up to about 50% as an anitfreeze additive. Therefore the plastic in the washer bottle would be selected by BMW to withstand methanol.

Certainly the washer bottle solution is not the ideal one in terms of capacity and shared with the windscreen washer, but if you are after a Meth solution that can be installed/removed very quickly, the washer bottle is the best for that hands down. If you are happy for a more in depth install, a seperate tank is the way to go.

I am pretty sure all the meth solutions could be configured either way. I know the Vishnu option can be.
Adrian, what are your thoughts on the tank and tank being separated for the under hood version? The only prototype I've seen has the pump just above the charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

I am not familiar with meth at all, as a product and more specifically for our cars. I do know that I am interested and Adrian@Vishnu has said that they're producing a better version of their system now and should be available soon... Adrian I sent you a PM as well, but any updates regarding that?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:

I showed Mrs M the ER charge pipe I was after and requested it for my birthday and she said "you want a pipe for your birthday? Just buy it!" Didn't have to tell me twice in this instance.

On the subject of meth, I feel like it's a lot of messing around in terms of maintaining the arrangement as well as something that could lead to a nasty critical failure if a component doesn't work right or you run out at the wrong time. Am I on the wrong track here?

This isn't a firm opinion I'll defend to death, just current thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Methanol kits are fantastic for our little rigs. Happy to answer any specific questions. What you need to know is that it is cheap and makes a lot more power. Get one.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #11
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

What method of triggering the system are most 1'ers using? IDC? Boost? MAP?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
What method of triggering the system are most 1'ers using? IDC? Boost? MAP?
I think most are using boost levels for meth triggering. Simplest way I think. Tee the vacuum line.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post

I showed Mrs M the ER charge pipe I was after and requested it for my birthday and she said "you want a pipe for your birthday? Just buy it!" Didn't have to tell me twice in this instance.

On the subject of meth, I feel like it's a lot of messing around in terms of maintaining the arrangement as well as something that could lead to a nasty critical failure if a component doesn't work right or you run out at the wrong time. Am I on the wrong track here?

I don't see the need to change the charge pipe unless you want to run aftermarket bov's or have bunga in them for meth.

Methanol injection has come a long way and in terms of safety I really don't think you can go wrong as it as you maintain it really well and monitor it closely.

Back to the charge pipe, I've been testing some bov's for Turbosmart that click straight into the stock CP.

I have recirculating ones as well as atmospheric ones and they are awesome. I'll put up some pics and a review shortly. They take all of 10 minutes to install and will be ready for release onto the market sometime next month. Solid construction. Will show you guys at Advan next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #14
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post

Methanol injection has come a long way and in terms of safety I really don't think you can go wrong as it as you maintain it really well and monitor it closely.
This part is what's stopping me. I appreciate the increased power it can deliver, but for the track I need the LSD installed before just about anything else right now bar better cooling.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post

Matty, the ER charge pipe is a nice piece of pipe. I have it with the Synapse BOV and it fits perfectly. I like how it incorporates the factory c-clips on the throttle body and I went with the long version that replaces the flimsy rubber elbow. I recommend getting it anodized too, looks very stealth. Happy to show you at the next meet if you want to see one up close. Sorry for the thread jack!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #16
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Matty, the ER charge pipe is a nice piece of pipe. I have it with the Synapse BOV and it fits perfectly. I like how it incorporates the factory c-clips on the throttle body and I went with the long version that replaces the flimsy rubber elbow. I recommend getting it anodized too, looks very stealth. Happy to show you at the next meet if you want to see one up close. Sorry for the thread jack!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Has anyone seen pics of the black tank mounted in the boot?

And has anyone in Bris thought of who can install it? I know Vin/Matt has used different companies to install mods so far, should we all use one shop this time?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

And has anyone in Bris thought of who can install it? I know Vin/Matt has used different companies to install mods so far, should we all use one shop this time?
Hey Richard, Check the below link. In regards to the install I will probably approach my regular guys at APC first and see if they can do it. It would really be good if we could all go to the same place.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12472

Looks tidy. I'm lovin it!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I have only used 2 workshops, Accelerate Automotive for my exhaust and Fulcrum for my suspension, and both have been good. I have been using Bob Jane to mount my wheels/tyres when needed though.

Not long ago I asked Andrew from SouthernBM about coming down to Melbourne to get an LSD installed and he said it's not worth the trip because there's plenty of workshops up here that could do it and he actually recommended Accelerate Automotive without me mentioning it. I was surprised because I didn't think they touched suspension but after talking to them again they said they do anything and everything.

They said they can do the LSD no problems and they are willing to give meth a go but they need to work out how the software works. They work on Loren (from Active Autowerke's) E46 M3 Supercharged with 500hp which runs methanol injection.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
OK been doing my own research and think I've sussed it all out.

So with these CM kits with autotune and built in fail safe's, does this mean if the tank happens to run out then it just won't run and will run like stock? ie- won't wreck anything?

Been reading about different types of 'methanol' which you can use. 'Denatured' etc? What is the best type to use... Just go to Bunnings and get Methylated spirits, or should you use a certain type which is better?

Is there a way to shut it all off like Valet mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #21
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

You get VP Racing Fuels M1 Methanol in a 19 litre pail or drum of 56/113/204 litres.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
OK been doing my own research and think I've sussed it all out.

So with these CM kits with autotune and built in fail safe's, does this mean if the tank happens to run out then it just won't run and will run like stock? ie- won't wreck anything?

Been reading about different types of 'methanol' which you can use. 'Denatured' etc? What is the best type to use... Just go to Bunnings and get Methylated spirits, or should you use a certain type which is better?

Is there a way to shut it all off like Valet mode?
The tank wont run dry. Your failsafe will trip stopping any further meth flow. Wont wreck anything.

Kenny's right VP meth is great. Results are better using methanol rather than Methylated spirits. The convenience of going to bunnings and buying a 3 litre bottle of methylated spirits is always a great second option.

Yes you can shut it of at the gauge by disabling it.

Last edited by JB4-335; 05-28-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0