BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
I assume insurance covers just one tire? On these cars, you should really replace the tire pair per axle to get even wear. So, i guess if you have 60% wear to rear tires and you got a flat on one ... you have to decide whether to replace the "good" tire too, or drive with one tire on new tread and the other on 60%.
Ah, very good point.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #24
John`
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I have come to this realization that nothing is like OEM.
So true =)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #25
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I have come to this realization that nothing is like OEM.
Thankfully!

Cheers,
Alf
      09-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #26
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I asked my SA about just replacing one of the tires in the rear with 25k on it and he said it's not a problem. Since in August it will be their car, not mine, I'm not going to worry about it. Hopefully I'll get a nail in the one old one before I need to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Did you not read the quote? Plug and patch required, at the minimum.

I have AAA and towing insurance.
I'm confused, I said thats what I had done, it's cheap and effective
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #28
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
In my opinion OEM is like nothing, since I have Michelin PS2s on my car. The car rides so much smoother that it cannot be adequately described.

In case of a flat, I have a trusty spare picked up in Germany by a member here.
[/URL]
I assume you keep it in the trunk? What is the width?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #29
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

The insurance only goes so far. I woke up early Saturday morning to wash/detail my car, and when backing out of my garage, the TPMS system tells me the rear passenger tire has lost some air. When I checked, I found a screw in the middle of the tread section (I got lucky since this allowed for a proper repair), and my first instinct was to call BMW. To my surprise, BMW service centers here where I live do not open during the weekends and the only option BMW offered me was to tow my car to the dealer and let them deal with it on Monday. As my only car, this was obviously not the ideal scenario for me. I drove to the nearest gas station, filled the tire up to spec, and drove to a shop where I had the tire properly repaired - patched and plugged from the inside. Can't tell the difference. By the way, I did not purchase the insurance given that I had it on the last 4 cars and I never made any use of it, and I don't regret not getting it this time! To me the timeliness of the repair is just as important as the repair itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #30
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
The insurance only goes so far. I woke up early Saturday morning to wash/detail my car, and when backing out of my garage, the TPMS system tells me the rear passenger tire has lost some air. When I checked, I found a screw in the middle of the tread section (I got lucky since this allowed for a proper repair), and my first instinct was to call BMW. To my surprise, BMW service centers here where I live do not open during the weekends and the only option BMW offered me was to tow my car to the dealer and let them deal with it on Monday. As my only car, this was obviously not the ideal scenario for me. I drove to the nearest gas station, filled the tire up to spec, and drove to a shop where I had the tire properly repaired - patched and plugged from the inside. Can't tell the difference. By the way, I did not purchase the insurance given that I had it on the last 4 cars and I never made any use of it, and I don't regret not getting it this time! To me the timeliness of the repair is just as important as the repair itself.
My insurance covers anywhere I get the vehicle fixed. I just go to the BMW dealer because they have the tires in stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #31
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
My insurance covers anywhere I get the vehicle fixed. I just go to the BMW dealer because they have the tires in stock.
BMW services department is not open on weekends here...I checked both dealers. So if BMW won't be taking care of my issues unless it's a weekday, I may as well just invest into AAA or one of the cheaper insurance options, if any at all. I am affiliated with a great shop here in town that deals with high end cars and pricing is amazing, so I have no use for the insurance. I was disappointed that BMW couldn't do anything on the weekend, and many places do not keep these runflats in stock, so even if the insurance covers it anywhere, there is no guarantee that your car will be up and running right away, depending on the severity of the tire damage.

But you know what they say: different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I asked my SA about just replacing one of the tires in the rear with 25k on it and he said it's not a problem. Since in August it will be their car, not mine, I'm not going to worry about it. Hopefully I'll get a nail in the one old one before I need to replace it.
Well sure, it's not a "problem" to do that. The tire will mount just like any other. From an install point of view, it's no problem at all.

But, there is a problem. Uneven traction in turns.
Under 10K miles, I'd be ok with that, but over that, no way, especially at 25k. Most performance tires have lost a considerable amount of wet traction by then. On dry warm/hot roads, a worn tire can give greater traction than a new tire. But, if you live where there is dust, dirt, and/or water on the roads from weather, then that lost of rubber is a loss of traction when you need it most.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
BMW services department is not open on weekends here...I checked both dealers. So if BMW won't be taking care of my issues unless it's a weekday, I may as well just invest into AAA or one of the cheaper insurance options, if any at all. I am affiliated with a great shop here in town that deals with high end cars and pricing is amazing, so I have no use for the insurance. I was disappointed that BMW couldn't do anything on the weekend, and many places do not keep these runflats in stock, so even if the insurance covers it anywhere, there is no guarantee that your car will be up and running right away, depending on the severity of the tire damage.

But you know what they say: different strokes for different folks.
Some stud? Can't even plug your own tire?
Appreciate 0