BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #23
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Never had the chip repair be any good or lasting long. The wife seems to get a chip every 2 years and then new windshield 6 months after that.

Personally I only use dealer glass, because if I was buying a BMW I would not like non dealer glass. So in case I sell one of my cars to a nut like me. Plus on my wifes leases I think they have to have all dealer glass on return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
Just had a rock chip happen in my car. Super disturbing.

We'll see what happens with the rock chip repair that Geico does. Anyone have good experiences with it? I feel like I'll always notice and just want new glass.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #24
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

fist sized rock last week..
pilkington has a local near by... called and they said they offer 3 different windshields for the 135i while looking me up with complete vin... i said ok...read em off to me guy ..
1.green tint glass with grey "tint" across the top..
2.green tint glass with green tint at top.
3.green glass no tint.

*** pilkington themselves told me that the only authorized shop that can sell you a bmw stamped pilkington.. is a official dealer.

1 and 2 had rain and condensation sensors..
3 on the other hand had the option of both sensors or one or the other..
i went with the green only.. no tint , and both sensors..
the quote came out to like 400 plus freight..
insurance would only cover up to $325
the dealer was on heavy medication when they gave me their quote, mind you just the glass.. i think it was like $600+

*** safelite being the top dog in the windhsield business will not install glass that you don't purchase with them.. their reasoning was that they cant guarantee that it won't crack or leak due to "not knowing where it came from"
i said well id buy it direct from pilkington (keep in mind.. no bww stamp. which i was super pissed about)and bring the windshield over .. or have it delivered to them from pilks local like ... a town over..they said no!!
told the insurance company to shove it.. told safelite to suck it..
called a competitor... installed a 320$ PWG glass with the sensors and not "tint " up top..
the thing had a "made in china" sticker on it when they guy played it down on his little work bench.. i freakin cringed..
keep in mind at this point.. its out of pocket.. i could do 600+ at the dealer nd lets say 100+ to a competetor.
guy assured me pwg was a big company thats been around a while.. told him yea im sure it'll stop a body .. but its more about the no badge situation..
bit the bullet and went with it ;(
submitted the check to the ins company for reimbursement because the installer also was shocked i was forking over the $ and advised florida law states the ins company cant deny a windshield claim..xspecially with full coverage.. and also stated that it doesn't raise your price come rental time since its a claim under $500 bucks etc etc..
after my lengthy rant, all in all it was hell dealing with it..
and, i hope the driver of the truck wich gracefully shot that boulder at my car.. has triplets!!
      11-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #25
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Due to mileage, my insurance would not pay for OE glass (Pilkington with BMW logo). Dealer wanted $1100 installed, must pay out of pocket and get partial reimbursement from insurance.

Went to New England windshield chain and looked at OEM replacement glass (Saint-Gobain Sekurit). Complained it had green tint at top and my OE windshield had grey. They found no replacement windshields in the Northeast with grey tint, so they went to bat for me and contacted my insurance and requested OE glass. Got it approved and they bought the glass from the local BMW dealer and installed it. Pilkington with BMW logo.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 04:28 AM   #26
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just had a rock chip happen in my car. Super disturbing.

We'll see what happens with the rock chip repair that Geico does. Anyone have good experiences with it? I feel like I'll always notice and just want new glass.
If you go in right away the repair comes out better than if you wait. I had one done a few years ago by safelite & you couldn't really see it after they were done. It also depends on where it is. If it's in your sight line you'll see it more. If it's on the passenger side you'll forget it's there.

I had a window replaced on my X5. They used a generic part vs. BMW. The rain sensor worked & no issues with clarity. On the 135i I'd probably make sure it's BMW though b/c I like this car better.
      11-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #27
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
They did the repair. It wasn't done as well (or couldn't be - who knows - I didn't watch) as some of the examples I've seen where it basically goes away completely. It's still quite noticeable. That said, whatever. I'm not going to shell out $500+ for a new windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #28
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
They did the repair. It wasn't done as well (or couldn't be - who knows - I didn't watch) as some of the examples I've seen where it basically goes away completely. It's still quite noticeable. That said, whatever. I'm not going to shell out $500+ for a new windshield.
I've had several of these repairs done over the years, and it never goes away completely, if you look for it.
      03-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #29
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Had my windshield replaced yesterday. Pilkington glass, guy who installed it said it was made in the USA. He also put my old one in the rack on his truck next to the new one to show me how much thicker the new one was. It was probably 20% thicker than the factory piece. That should cut out a little noise (and screw up the 50/50 weight balance by a few ounces).

$300 installed. A client came by when he was doing the work (only 2 hours later than he said) so I didn't see the guy install it. Today I noticed the rubber around the top on the drivers side isn't perfectly flat. Like others have said, it will be cracked in a year or two, or be sandblasted like the one I had was after 33k miles of my commute.

Jiffy auto glass is the chain. I think it is local dispatchers.

By the way, the guy that installed it told me he was the guy the dealer used for installs.
      03-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #30
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I was chasing down an F80 M3 at the track this past weekend and he put a wheel in the grass, kicking up a huge rock and denting my hood and breaking my windshield. I did catch him so it was worth it.

Anyway what is the consensus on the best glass replacement - both vendors and the glass itself. I replaced the windshield about 5 years ago at a Safelite but I don't remember if it was an OE windshield. Are aftermarket worse than OE? I'm guessing yes but how much worse is the question.
Had to replace mine a couple years ago. I got a Pilkington with the BMW logo in the corner. It perfectly matches the original screen. Optics are flawless.

Windshield: $432
Labor: $133

The installer was able to retain the original electrics behind the mirror, so I would not have to spring for a new rain sensor.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #31
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Got a giant split down the middle of the windshield these days. Gonna be getting it replaced. Hopefully with OEM glass. I have Geico. We'll see what they do.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:30 PM   #32
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Well - for those wondering - decided to go with Safelite. Will let you know when it gets in.

When going with non-Safelite options - it told me Geico would only comp $40/hr and all this stuff (a rate which no dealership or autoshop would ever charge) and would only comp to OE-like parts. Basically - get fucked.

Anyway - I don't really care. The roundel on the windshield will be gone. I just hope they install it correctly and get the right part. I don't have any coatings or shading. It's just a clear piece of glass (the way I like it). I would've not minded having the built-in solar coating though but not an option through Safelite.

If this car wasn't in such bad shape already and I didn't have a $60k tax bill due in April... I would consider having gone with OEM for $250+ more. C'est la vie..
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 11:52 PM   #33
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Geico replaced the windshield of my wife's Volvo with OEM glass. I had to ask for it and push back when they claimed that their brand is just as good. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt, but that little Volvo symbol in the bottom corner is comforting.

Satellite bought the glass from the dealer and did the install at my home. The local Volvo dealer says that they just have Safelite come out and do it at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:23 PM   #34
Wazowski
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 135 6MT vert

Garage List
2008 E88 135  [10.00]
Just had my 4th windshield installed (3rd replacement) 2 months ago. 180k miles, so the windshields get pitted (and multiple chip repairs) after 5 years or so. First 2 replacements Pilkington. Latest a FUYAO with zero discernible quality difference. All with tint band on top and rain sensor, replaced with $50 deductible at home. Best $50 you can spend. Always makes car "feel like new" … again.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:09 AM   #35
fotontom
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82 M-Sport, 528i F10

Reading this string must be a jinx. On the way home last night, a stone came from nowhere and...whack!

Oh well, it's just a divot right now and I'll wait until it gets worse. Thanks for all the info.
Appreciate 0