BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Plugs and Coils

So I did plugs and coils today so I could get on a schedule I could track.

I guess the idiot in there before me couldn't get the cowl under the cabin filter put back in right....so it had broken clips. The rectangular wiring harness had broken clips as well.

So I guess I will be looking for those shortly as I'm OCD about that kind of thing. Figured I would look up part numbers and have them for when I swap the intake.

Also I noticed there was some oil in plugs 2 and 3. So either someone who did the last oil change has bad aim and spilled some....I may have VCG leak. There are no obvious signs on the outside......everything is bone dry.

So I will have to keep an eye on that. But the car hasn't used any oil since I bought it about 3 months ago.

Stuff like that cowl and loom just aggravates me to no end!
      03-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

I'll be following what you do as I have the same car. Were the coil install easy as they say? What brand did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
I'll be following what you do as I have the same car. Were the coil install easy as they say? What brand did you use?
It was really easy and straightforward. I went with Delphi which is what I think BMW is now using for OEM stuff.

There was a thread about it earlier. I pulled out Bosch ones.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      05-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
mmchartier5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

question about plugs and coil packs

What does everyone recommend for spark plugs and coil packs. We have a stock 135i 2011 convertible. The car is misfiring and has a miss in the engine. I do like to take off fast especially when rude people won't let you over. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmchartier5 View Post
What does everyone recommend for spark plugs and coil packs. We have a stock 135i 2011 convertible. The car is misfiring and has a miss in the engine. I do like to take off fast especially when rude people won't let you over. Thanks for the help
I have a 128 and this was the process and result of my thoughts on this and just did it to my car when it turned 60k. I choose BMW parts and will go into why for each level of expense. Your 135i w/N55 will take different parts but all levels explained have a 135 equal. Some N54 will have same parts

Least expense: Amazon Bosch plugs and Coils is very affordable together https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0774YC95J
- I have read reviews on ECS, Turner and Amazon it appears 1/10-1/20 fail rate on this combo the reviews are like a broken record. $140ish

DIY Recommended: Find your fav supplier get Delphi Coils($40per) and NGK plugs This is oem but without the BMW payment plan. fail rate is low, cost $320ish

BMW Parts: it's about $575 for the BMW parts one advantage is BMW covers them for 2years parts and labor even if a dealership didn't install them. I work at a BMW dealer and got a discount but still lots more for the middle option. peace of mind won the day on the 2yr coverage.

Last edited by Tuxedo; 05-13-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #6
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmchartier5 View Post
I have a 128 and this was the process and result of my thoughts on this and just did it to my car when it turned 60k. I choose BMW parts and will go into why for each level of expense. Your 135i w/N55 will take different parts but all levels explained have a 135 equal. Some N54 will have same parts

Least expense: Amazon Bosch plugs and Coils is very affordable together https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0774YC95J
- I have read reviews on ECS, Turner and Amazon it appears 1/10-1/20 fail rate on this combo the reviews are like a broken record. $140ish

DIY Recommended: Find your fav supplier get Delphi Coils($40per) and NGK plugs This is oem but without the BMW payment plan. fail rate is low, cost $320ish

BMW Parts: it's about $575 for the BMW parts one advantage is BMW covers them for 2years parts and labor even if a dealership didn't install them. I work at a BMW dealer and got a discount but still lots more for the middle option. peace of mind won the day on the 2yr coverage.
I can't figure out why more enthusiasts aren't using FCP Euro for replacement parts.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I can't figure out why more enthusiasts aren't using FCP Euro for replacement parts.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Peace... Mack
That's who I am using; especially for parts like plugs and coils. A single replacement of either item is worth it in my opinion.

-Sam
Appreciate 1
mackeroni326.50