BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport

2008 E82: 676 Hifi to Logic7 Retrofit?

Been a while since posting anything on here, but found a good deal on a full L7 setup out of a 3 series and wondering what is involved.

Current setup: 676 HiFi system with CIC/Combox retrofit

Potential: Logic7 System

My main questions are is there anything about this that is plug and play (speaker wiring, locations, etc) and what differs from the 676 system that will need to be changed to make this work?

Having done quite a few full retrofits on this car already, I am no stranger to changing things around, I would just like to know where to start. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarntpeople View Post
Been a while since posting anything on here, but found a good deal on a full L7 setup out of a 3 series and wondering what is involved.

My main questions are is there anything about this that is plug and play (speaker wiring, locations, etc) and what differs from the 676 system that will need to be changed to make this work?

Having done quite a few full retrofits on this car already, I am no stranger to changing things around, I would just like to know where to start. Thanks in advance.
When you have already SA676 you have a good base
I also did a Retrofit last week on my E87 based on a cheap used E91 kit (EU car).

All you need to to three things.
  • replacing the speakers (at least for the E87 the back E90 speakers do NOT fit),
  • adapt the harness and add a MOST cable
  • code SA676 out and SA688 in.

For the Speaker best is to check at the ETK wich speaker do fit your car and which do you need to buy in addition.

For the harnes you can do two variants, either replace the whole harness from with the one from the three series BMW (which are partially too long and alot of work).
Or you can cut of the HIFI Connector and add the Logic 7 Connector.

For this you need the following parts:

1x Main Connector 61131383502
8x Snap-in receptacle 61131376202 (maybe buy some on top
6x Snap-in receptacle 61131376204 (maybe buy some on top
You may need to check if your car has already the Logic 7 amplifier holder, check here.

For the Pinout you can check at TIS.
For the MOST you can use the short part of your three series harness.

Oh and the third method would be to have a friend who does design fully PnP Adapters to do the his retrofit and very easy to install.
But don`t ask for the price, this is expensive
Name:  L7board_compare_front.jpg
Views: 2543
Size:  172.6 KB
Name:  amp1.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  236.1 KB
Kri
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep

I assume that for the MOST connector, depending on the length I need, I could just reuse the old one I looped for the MULF/TCU when I converted those to a Combox correct? No additional pins are needed other than the fiber optics?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I assume that for the MOST connector, depending on the length I need, I could just reuse the old one I looped for the MULF/TCU when I converted those to a Combox correct? No additional pins are needed other than the fiber optics?
I don`t fully understand ?
Your Combox does also require MOST so there is no cable free ?
When using the OEM cables you need to use a cable that has a male and female connector side to install to the splitter.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
I don`t fully understand ?
Your Combox does also require MOST so there is no cable free ?
When using the OEM cables you need to use a cable that has a male and female connector side to install to the splitter.

Kri
Yes of course, however my OEM setup contained both a TCU and a MULF2 (both of which are MOST enabled) and when replacing them for a single COMBOX the extra connection was lopped rather then being completely removed from the ring.

Removing the termination loop will allow that connector to be active again and my question was whether or not the amp requires anything special other than the connections to the speakers and the fiber bus.

I assume that the wiring harness is what supplies the power?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Yes of course, however my OEM setup contained both a TCU and a MULF2 (both of which are MOST enabled) and when replacing them for a single COMBOX the extra connection was lopped rather then being completely removed from the ring.

Removing the termination loop will allow that connector to be active again and my question was whether or not the amp requires anything special other than the connections to the speakers and the fiber bus.

I assume that the wiring harness is what supplies the power?
Oh i didn`t knew that there came cars with both installed, here at the EU normally they have only one of them installed in the trunk.
Yes than you can use that MOST connection if it is long enough.

Yes the wiring harness also supplies the same power.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh i didn`t knew that there came cars with both installed, here at the EU normally they have only one of them installed in the trunk.
Yes than you can use that MOST connection if it is long enough.

Yes the wiring harness also supplies the same power.

Kri
Do you happen to have the pinouts for the new harness? Is it just a matter of removing the pins from the HiFi harness and putting them in new spots in the L7 harness?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but have you considered replacing the stock 676 amp with the Audiotech Fischer Match Up 7BMW/Bavsound Revenant amp? Pricey, but a 15 minute install and done.
      07-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep

I looked into that but its like 2K for the amp and speakers when I could get the HK setup for like 1/4 the price. I would think just the amp alone wouldn't do much for the stock HiFi setup unless Im wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
I looked into that but its like 2K for the amp and speakers when I could get the HK setup for like 1/4 the price. I would think just the amp alone wouldn't do much for the stock HiFi setup unless Im wrong.
The stock speakers are of good quality, the amp's what's lacking. I threw in junk yard HK speakers just for their (assumed) higher power handling capacity. If you weren't all the way across the country I'd invite you over for a listen.

I listened to the advice of Billfitz, who is a professional speaker designer on the forums. He tested and measured the Thiele/Small parameters of the 676 speakers and found no reason to replace them. Another forum member has done the same measurements for the HK speakers. Most manufactures of car audio speakers don't publish their T/S parameters, and when they do they come up short in performance (or at best, even). We're talking high-end stuff here. Unless your speakers are blown, keep 'em.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/

I expect push-back from "audiophiles" who can't imagine that their Jenhert/Morel/Audison, etc. speakers are only OK (in some cases a downgrade). Confirmation bias is a bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTl...ature=youtu.be

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...45&postcount=2

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...88&postcount=3

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=3
      07-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #11
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Do you happen to have the pinouts for the new harness? Is it just a matter of removing the pins from the HiFi harness and putting them in new spots in the L7 harness?
Removing pins by cutting off the existing pin and crimping the new L7 pins to the cables.

E82 HIFI wiring .
E82 Logic 7 wiring

Kri
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Removing pins by cutting off the existing pin and crimping the new L7 pins to the cables.

E82 HIFI wiring .
E82 Logic 7 wiring

Kri

Yeah I figured it was that, I was just wondering if there was a better wiring diagram showing old pin vs new PIN number. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
cometman
Rep
Drives: e82 coupe

just made this retrofit last week, hifi to HK on my e82

went pretty good

replaced all speakers, remade the wiring near the amp to adapt to HK amp plug, plugged the amp most to the loop , coded and voilá HK logic 7 upgrade...sound much better than hifi in my opinion.

the only thing that i am still missing is the bracket to hold the HK amp on the back of the e82, its a expensive part and i am still thinking on a home made bracket to properly hold the amp.

i only had the hifi bracket and e88 cabrio bracket, none of them fit properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometman View Post

went pretty good

replaced all speakers, remade the wiring near the amp to adapt to HK amp plug, plugged the amp most to the loop , coded and voilá HK logic 7 upgrade...sound much better than hifi in my opinion.

the only thing that i am still missing is the bracket to hold the HK amp on the back of the e82, its a expensive part and i am still thinking on a home made bracket to properly hold the amp.

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram showing the old vs new pin locations on the new amp plug?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #15
1st2nd8th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i

Quote:

went pretty good

Quote:

went pretty good

the bracket for the harman kardon is hiding on the back seat left wall trim. i made mine work.

just make a hole.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #16
Aria335iN54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Quote:
When you have already SA676 you have a good base
I also did a Retrofit last week on my E87 based on a cheap used E91 kit (EU car).

All you need to to three things.
  • replacing the speakers (at least for the E87 the back E90 speakers do NOT fit),
  • adapt the harness and add a MOST cable
  • code SA676 out and SA688 in.

For the Speaker best is to check at the ETK wich speaker do fit your car and which do you need to buy in addition.

For the harnes you can do two variants, either replace the whole harness from with the one from the three series BMW (which are partially too long and alot of work).
Or you can cut of the HIFI Connector and add the Logic 7 Connector.

For this you need the following parts:

1x Main Connector 61131383502
8x Snap-in receptacle 61131376202 (maybe buy some on top
6x Snap-in receptacle 61131376204 (maybe buy some on top
You may need to check if your car has already the Logic 7 amplifier holder, check here.

For the Pinout you can check at TIS.
For the MOST you can use the short part of your three series harness.

Oh and the third method would be to have a friend who does design fully PnP Adapters to do the his retrofit and very easy to install.
But don`t ask for the price, this is expensive
Attachment 2374492
Attachment 2374491
Kri
Kri Are you making these hifi to L7/Individual adaptors?
Someone said they are available on Aliexpress but couldn't see any.

I have a set of 752 ESP amp and speakers which I like to retrofit to my e92 hifi so even the conversion pinout would be helpful.
Cheers
Appreciate 0