BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Stock or not Stock when changing out for OEM BMW Parts?

Question for you guys....

I have the Chrome kidney grill that came with my 1M........however, I'm considering changing it out for the Black kidney grill which is sold by BMW and is an OEM part.

If I were to do this, would my 1M still be considered stock? Since BMW did use the black kidney grill on other 1M's???

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Yes
Appreciate 3
Dackelone10511.00
Tornado1M1201.50
nachob2307.00
      11-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

To me, being considered stock is binary...yes or no. An exterior mod that deviates from original equipment, regardless of its origin, relegates the car to the later category.

Whether that matters is entirely up to the owner or perspective buyer. If you're selling and looking for max return, keep it stock and the miles down. If you want to enjoy the car, do whatever is important to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Black grilles were not used for the 1M out of the factory; so technically it would be considered OEM but not "stock" in appearance.

I personally don't like the blacked out grilles as I prefer the chrome outlines as BMW has had throughout their whole history. This is odd for me as normally I hate chrome; but for me the history of the grilles are enough to override my personal preferences...
Gangplank1538.50
      11-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Black grilles were not used for the 1M out of the factory; so technically it would be considered OEM but not "stock" in appearance.

I personally don't like the blacked out grilles as I prefer the chrome outlines as BMW has had throughout their whole history. This is odd for me as normally I hate chrome; but for me the history of the grilles are enough to override my personal preferences...
Ok, thx! I did not know that?

So, everyone got the Chrome Kidney Grills off the assembly lines and the Black ones were done after fact. I was thinking some had the Black ones off the assembly line as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

Ok, thx! I did not know that?

So, everyone got the Chrome Kidney Grills off the assembly lines and the Black ones were done after fact. I was thinking some had the Black ones off the assembly line as well.
None off the assembly line!

What you may be thinking of is the window trim which was black in all US cars but a chrome line option was offered in Europe and other places.