BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
dpike27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Angry Cooling Issues - At Wits End!

I'm at my wits end. About 2 months ago, my water pump failed. Did the replacement myself with an aftermarket water pump and changed the tstat while I was at it. About 3 weeks later, my wife had the car and had to jump it. The guy helping her jumped it right off the battery, which I know its a no no. Regardless, started having water pump issues shortly afterwards. Replaced the 50A fuse by the DME and that resolved the issue.

Fast forward to yesterday, and as I'm driving into work, coolant temp warning! I noticed the water pump is no longer pumping again. Was around the corner from O'Reilys so I pulled in, yanked the 50A fuse and it looked fine. Replaced it to be safe, but no luck. Pulled the negative cable for 30 minutes to see if it would reset some things, and still no luck. Had the battery tested and they said it looked good. (I do take things O'Reily guys say with a grain of salt. Some are good and some are just register ringers)

I'm at a loss at this point. I cant possible fathom the water pump calling it quits after 2 months and maybe 2000 miles. Water pump is just not working.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I seem to recall reading something about the power distro box having some effect on this and someone posting a 'solution'. But I can't find it for the life of me.

Also check the connections. Loose pins need to be tightened. Corrosion is a no-no. Oil all over the connections is a no-no.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
dpike27
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I seem to recall reading something about the power distro box having some effect on this and someone posting a 'solution'. But I can't find it for the life of me.

Also check the connections. Loose pins need to be tightened. Corrosion is a no-no. Oil all over the connections is a no-no.
Let me know if you find that however I broke out the amp meter and am getting 12V at the plug for the water pump. I've started pulling the pump with the expectation that I have bad luck and have had a pump failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
dpike27
Registered
Rep

Well, turned out to be a faulty water pump. Couldn't get the pump to turn over with direct wiring to 12V on the bench. Pump was only 2.5 months old. Guess just bad luck.

On a side note, I am getting faster at pulling these pumps. I guess thats good for something.
Appreciate 3
lab_rat394.50
Dackelone10527.50
Cruuz1.50
      01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Thanks for following up with your findings. Definitely odd/unusual for a pump to go out so quickly. Any clue as to the possible cause?

When I do change mine in the next month or so, I plan on buying from FCPEuro, that way I can return it when the next one goes out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpike27 View Post
Well, turned out to be a faulty water pump. Couldn't get the pump to turn over with direct wiring to 12V on the bench. Pump was only 2.5 months old. Guess just bad luck.

On a side note, I am getting faster at pulling these pumps. I guess thats good for something.
Thanks for the update. I'm curious... did you buy the e-pump from a dealer or was this an aftermarket one? And if aftermarket what brand ?

I won't install aftermarket parts(not bought ta a dealer) bc I have had so much bad luck doing the same job twice or three times. No more. The BMW dealer's parts are of a higher quality than the aftermarket parts.

curiously,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #7
TCDay
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i, BMW 328ix, BMW K1200

Practice makes perfect.
Appreciate 0